Around the League 39: Will Kessel Sign in Winnipeg? The World Waits with Dogged Breath!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The unfortunate thing for Walsh (not us) is that he’s left to argue with Twitter users about it. The cap isn’t going anywhere. The league and players have little to fight about at 50/50 hard with guaranteed contracts. It’s the logical mid point between the NFL and NBA. CBA negotiations during a once in a century pandemic went pretty smoothly, it seemed like.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
How much has the cap increased since you have been a fan? For me, it's bout tripled. I've seen two new teams join and pay absurd franchise fees. Gary has a lot I disagree with, but making the players more $$ he has done in spades and spades.
Yep. As much as he might want to shit on the league and the hard cap, we've gone from a league where maybe 5 teams had any real chance for a solid decade because they out-spent everyone else more than twice over (with 2-3 more spending ineptly like drunken Greek life tools with daddy's Amex black card), to a league with incredible parity where savvy management and good drafting outside round 1 matters the most. Tampa, Carolina, Anaheim, Buffalo, and Calgary might have had some success previously, but it was of the one-off variety.

Now? Teams that were crying poor previously like Chicago and (of all f***ing teams) BOSTON have been among the most successful since the implementation of the cap. One team that was on deaths doorstep has won 3 cups while staying in the city they were all but a lock to leave, and another team that's wasn't long for this world pre cap has become one of the models of how to build a fanbase in a non traditional market. I'm sure if pressed he'd say the cap has been great for teams, including (and especially) some of the teams I described as spending like drunken morons, outside of situations where ownership has been at fault... sometimes deliberately (Atlanta).

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
How much has the cap increased since you have been a fan? For me, it's bout tripled. I've seen two new teams join and pay absurd franchise fees. Gary has a lot I disagree with, but making the players more $$ he has done in spades and spades.
Divide by zero error.

But yeah, we went from $39 million at the beginning of the cap era to $83.5. The cap made the league more competitive, which led to a better product, which in turn led to revenue increases for newly competitive smaller market teams, which led to league revenues rising, franchise values rising, and the overall pool of money rising- a lot. It turned out to be good for everybody.

Oh, and remember that 2002 Red Wings super team with a salary nobody would ever match with a Hall of Famer on the 4th line? $65 million. Not quite at the current cap floor, but $4.7m below what *any* team's cap hit is today.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Divide by zero error.

But yeah, we went from $39 million at the beginning of the cap era to $83.5. The cap made the league more competitive, which led to a better product, which in turn led to revenue increases for newly competitive smaller market teams, which led to league revenues rising, franchise values rising, and the overall pool of money rising- a lot. It turned out to be good for everybody.

Oh, and remember that 2002 Red Wings super team with a salary nobody would ever match with a Hall of Famer on the 4th line? $65 million. Not quite at the current cap floor, but $4.7m below what *any* team's cap hit is today.
$65m in 2002 is $110m today, based off inflation.

So yeah, still very high, even by today's standards

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It's times like these (when the Canes sign Aston-Reese to a contract) that I realize how little I know about hockey. That guy was tied for Least Impressive Tryout in my book.

EDIT: dopey me...it's the Red Wings who are desperate, not the Canes.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Canes didn't really have the space for ZAR anyways. I didn't have an issue with his game, but we have plenty of very good bottom-sixers. I'm happy for him that the tryout did land him a contract with somebody, so for him and his agent, IMO they accomplished their mission.

I'll be interested to see which of Jones or Coghlan that they will place on the 23-man roster if Coghlan clears. Contrarily, though, I wonder if either Suzuki or Unger Sorum made the team. If Svechnikov is out to start the season, I would love to see either of them get an NHL trial.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Canes didn't really have the space for ZAR anyways. I didn't have an issue with his game, but we have plenty of very good bottom-sixers. I'm happy for him that the tryout did land him a contract with somebody, so for him and his agent, IMO they accomplished their mission.

I'll be interested to see which of Jones or Coghlan that they will place on the 23-man roster if Coghlan clears. Contrarily, though, I wonder if either Suzuki or Unger Sorum made the team. If Svechnikov is out to start the season, I would love to see either of them get an NHL trial.
Suzuki is hurt at the moment, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad