GDT: Around the League | 22-23 III AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I noticed that for the best ice section most of the top 5 is locations where its cold and/or dry climate.

I wish they had the top 5 worst ice list as voted by the players. That would be a very interesting as I assume it would be Florida/California based locations. (Hot and Humid)
I think elevation is also a boost. The Utah Olympic Oval is said to be one of the fastest ice surfaces in the world due to the elevation not only because it has reduced wind resistance but the ice freezers harder (apparently).

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just saw Taylor Fedun playing his second game of the season for the Pens. Talk about a journeyman. 10 years of pro hockey and 130 games played. First time he’s been in the NHL since the 19-20 season.

Good for him keeping at it.

When he eventually retires from hockey he won’t have made enough money to retire completely but there are worse ways spend your mid 20s to early 30s. And once he’s done he’ll still have a mechanical engineering degree from Princeton to fall back on lol.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Just saw Taylor Fedun playing his second game of the season for the Pens. Talk about a journeyman. 10 years of pro hockey and 130 games played. First time he’s been in the NHL since the 19-20 season.

When he eventually retires from hockey he won’t have made enough money to retire completely but there are worse ways spend your mid 20s to early 30s. And once he’s done he’ll still have a mechanical engineering degree from Princeton to fall back on lol.
He seems like the kind of guy that will have a son go in the first round 20 years from now.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I think elevation is also a boost. The Utah Olympic Oval is said to be one of the fastest ice surfaces in the world due to the elevation not only because it has reduced wind resistance but the ice freezers harder (apparently).
But Denver never makes it on the list of the best NHL rinks.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
But Denver never makes it on the list of the best NHL rinks.
That might be because they share their rink with a basketball team unlike the teams that made this list. Or maybe the crew there just isn't good enough. Personally, I think games in Denver always look fast so perhaps the speed advantage is there but there's something about the ice the players don't like.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I remember back in the day when we signed him it was mentioning that there was really nothing special with his game, but a guy that could carve out that long journeyman career as he did enough things right

Honestly I have no idea how long he'll be around for, but I'm sure with how many places he's been and his smarts that he probably gets a hockey gig post playing if he wants.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wanted to swing by and thank the Oilers board for the advice I received a few months ago on my move to Edmonton. I'm now settled into a lease by the government buildings area. Drivesaitl and other posters advice really helped with the whole process and making it less stressful for me. I may or may not slowly assimilate into the Oilers board.
Thanks and always happy to provide any information. Gonna be an interesting playoffs so you'll see the type of hype the city gets during playoff fever and a pretty good team to get behind.

Really decent area you chose and some great walks from there into river Valley or Victoria Promenade, High Street, Oliver, 124st area etc.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Looks like Treliving is flying out to watch the Flames top prospect Matt Coronato and hoping to sign him early out of college and burning one year of his entry level contract LOL. Not exactly an ideal plan to waste a year of entry level contract.. but I guess having Adam Fox burn them in the past and seeing other players want to leave Calgary has them all worried LOL. Funny shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Looks lke Treliving is flying out to watch the Flames top prospect Matt Coronato and hoping to sign him early out of college and burning one year of his entry level contract LOL. Not exactly an ideal plan to waste a year of entry level contract.. but I guess having Adam Fox burn them in the past and seeing other players want to leave Calgary has them all worried LOL. Funny shit.

The fact that he needs to make a personal appearance to try and win him over is hilarious to me.

Coronato walking would be the perfect cherry on top of the ongoing Flame disaster after we sent them on their way in the playoffs. I think Coronato is fairly mediocre to begin with, but they think he's hot shit in Flame land so the melt down would be amazing to watch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like Treliving is flying out to watch the Flames top prospect Matt Coronato and hoping to sign him early out of college and burning one year of his entry level contract LOL. Not exactly an ideal plan to waste a year of entry level contract.. but I guess having Adam Fox burn them in the past and seeing other players want to leave Calgary has them all worried LOL. Funny shit.
I mean I have no idea what direction that team is headed, but Coronato's representation would probably ask "why should he sign, your coach doesn't play rookies".

The fact that he needs to make a personal appearance to try and win him over is hilarious to me.

Coronato walking would be the perfect cherry on top of the ongoing Flame disaster after we sent them on their way in the playoffs. I think Coronato is fairly mediocre to begin with, but they think he's hot shit in Flame land so the melt down would be amazing to watch.
When it comes to college players it's a bit different. They can f*** you over quite easily so showing some love probably isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
NSH vs SEA and CGY vs VGS

Two pretty big games tonight for playoff implications.

If I was a NHL Canadian team and I had an American player playing in the NCAA, I'd probably want to get them signed ASAP too.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I mean I have no idea what direction that team is headed, but Coronato's representation would probably ask "why should he sign, your coach doesn't play rookies".

When it comes to college players it's a bit different. They can f*** you over quite easily so showing some love probably isn't a bad thing.

100%, but I don't think most GM's need to go out of their way to roll out the red carpet to get their NCAA players signed.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If I was a NHL Canadian team and I had an American player playing in the NCAA, I'd probably want to get them signed ASAP too.
yah I guess.... which is why all things being equal.. I would prefer drafting a player out of the CHL or Europe.

I mean... another American player in Calgary.. what could go wrong again? :sarcasm:

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
NSH vs SEA and CGY vs VGS

Two pretty big games tonight for playoff implications.

My love for the Oilers is always #1 and then my hatred for the Flames is always #2. There is no other team even on the same stratosphere I can't stand as much as Calgary. Vancouver would be #2 but Calgary is on another level. I do not want Calgary to make the playoffs so a Calgary loss would be great. At the same time, moving up to 2nd in the division at least would be beneficial for the Oilers so a Vegas regulation loss wouldn't be bad especially since we play them twice. But even then.....lose Flames! lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My love for the Oilers is always #1 and then my hatred for the Flames is always #2. I do not want Calgary to make the playoffs so a Calgary loss would be great. At the same time, moving up to 2nd in the division at least would be beneficial for the Oilers so a Vegas regulation loss wouldn't be bad especially since we play them twice.
I'm torn on whether I want to see the Flames make the playoffs and get to see just how awful Huberdeau is or whether I want to see them win enough games to just miss the playoffs and then be overconfident for the next 6 months.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
I'm torn on whether I want to see the Flames make the playoffs and get to see just how awful Huberdeau is or whether I want to see them win enough games to just miss the playoffs and then be overconfident for the next 6 months.
Easy answer. Calgary missing the playoffs by finishing 9th or 10th in the conference is the perfect scenario (finishing worse than that gives them a better draft pick). I never want them to make the playoffs but never want them to pick top 3-5 in the draft.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I'm torn as well I enjoyed watching Dallas/Flames last playoffs... better than watching 2 American teams battle it out. But I really wouldn't care if they missed it, then they have to watch us :laugh:

Reactions: joestevens29

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My love for the Oilers is always #1 and then my hatred for the Flames is always #2. There is no other team even on the same stratosphere I can't stand as much as Calgary. Vancouver would be #2 but Calgary is on another level. I do not want Calgary to make the playoffs so a Calgary loss would be great. At the same time, moving up to 2nd in the division at least would be beneficial for the Oilers so a Vegas regulation loss wouldn't be bad especially since we play them twice. But even then.....lose Flames! lol

Flames winning some games against teams ahead of us in the standings kills two birds with one stone (although I do hate seeing them win no matter what). Takes points away from our competition while concurrently feeding the Flame narrative that they're actually good, but just "unlucky" to finish in the first spot out of the playoffs.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Flames winning some games against teams ahead of us in the standings kills two birds with one stone (although I do hate seeing them win no matter what). Takes points away from our competition while concurrently feeding the Flame narrative that they're actually good, but just "unlucky" to finish in the first spot out of the playoffs.
No question. If I knew they were going to miss for sure then them winning against Vegas and LA would be good for the Oilers. We still play the Knights twice so we can catch them and same with LA.

Personally, I think we will finish 2nd in the division but we can finish anywhere from 1-3.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No question. If I knew they were going to miss for sure then them winning against Vegas and LA would be good for the Oilers. We still play the Knights twice so we can catch them and same with LA.

Personally, I think we will finish 2nd in the division but we can finish anywhere from 1-3.

Finding a way to scratch to first in the division would be massive, but if I were a betting man I think the Kings end up taking it. Oilers would probably have to sweep all 4 of their games against the Kings and Knights in regulation to have a chance.

I'd like to avoid playing the Kings in the first round if possible not because I don't think we can beat them, but that I think we would have a better chance of beating them if we already had a series under our belt. Kings play ready made playoff style hockey and the Oilers don't as much and will probably need to find that level not dissimilar to last year at times.

I feel confident if we played Vegas in round 1 and extremely confident if we played Seattle.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad