Around the League - 2023/24

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm fed up of Connor Bedard already.
Yeah for real. I wasn't following the the NHL media as closely when McDavid came in but feels like Bedard is getting more hype and attention than he did.

I wouldn't mind if he had a rough start to his career if only for the hype to calm down a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah for real. I wasn't following the the NHL media as closely when McDavid came in but feels like Bedard is getting more hype and attention than he did.

I wouldn't mind if he had a rough start to his career if only for the hype to calm down a bit.
It’s about the same. Maybe a touch more exposure as he’s in a large US market, but it isn’t much different.

Say what you will about the hype, he was great last night. Not perfect, but super high impact and if that continues… he’s an immediate top 10 player. I understand that people get annoyed with media stuff… but just embrace and enjoy greatness. Life is too short to not.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’s about the same. Maybe a touch more exposure as he’s in a large US market, but it isn’t much different.

Say what you will about the hype, he was great last night. Not perfect, but super high impact and if that continues… he’s an immediate top 10 player. I understand that people get annoyed with media stuff… but just embrace and enjoy greatness. Life is too short to not.
Enjoy a Canadian playing for a Chicago team? No, I don't think I will.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I am personally sick of hearing about McDrai. It's annoying to hear someone get hyped constantly; it makes people jealous. I am sure some people are sick of hearing how good Makar is, so we got it good too. ;)

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I am personally sick of hearing about McDrai. It's annoying to hear someone get hyped constantly; it makes people jealous. I am sure some people are sick of hearing how good Makar is, so we got it good too. ;)
The shit thing about McDrai is that you cannot have a conversation about any other player being good without someone wading in and being like 'BUT MCJESUS". Same with highlights, you can't show a MacK goal without having "McDavid skating through the entire team twice, and the whole crowd and scoring with the butt end of his stick while doing a handstand" highlight following it up.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Bedard looked great last night. Probably running on straight adrenaline and obviously wants to pop that first one in ASAP. It’ll happen quickly if he keeps shooting the puck that much. Poor kid has less support than he did on the Pats last year.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
The shit thing about McDrai is that you cannot have a conversation about any other player being good without someone wading in and being like 'BUT MCJESUS". Same with highlights, you can't show a MacK goal without having "McDavid skating through the entire team twice, and the whole crowd and scoring with the butt end of his stick while doing a handstand" highlight following it up.
It seems like every Oilers fan I interact with is 14 years old.

Reactions: S E P H

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Good point!

Bedard looked great last night. Probably running on straight adrenaline and obviously wants to pop that first one in ASAP. It’ll happen quickly if he keeps shooting the puck that much. Poor kid has less support than he did on the Pats last year.
His shooting looks sooo good. The kid is smart.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the weirdest thing I'm most excited to see is Laine at center. Everything says it should be a colossal failure, but if it works and gets that lazy F motivated...

Few others:

Cooley and Arizona in general will be super interesting. That team has a lot of random talent, but can it actually come together and work?

Does Buffalo leverage their young talent into 3 incredibly good offensive lines?

How does Philly mesh Torts' style with the youth?

Toffoli in NJ... everything says this should work, I don't think it does and decent chance NJ is trying to fix that at the deadline.

Does Winnipeg flip the switch over to adding now that they locked up some guys? Plenty of assets there to make some splashes or some youth that could make some jumps.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think the weirdest thing I'm most excited to see is Laine at center. Everything says it should be a colossal failure, but if it works and gets that lazy F motivated...
There are reasons you could believe it works. He's got excellent vision, he's big, not a horrible skater etc. Just needs to be fully committed.

Even if it is a colossal failure, still probably a good thing to keep the light out of Fantilli. Not throwing him into deep end as the #1C between Gaudreau and Laine, let him get acclimated as the #2C while Laine takes all the pressure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are reasons you could believe it works. He's got excellent vision, he's big, not a horrible skater etc. Just needs to be fully committed.

Even if it is a colossal failure, still probably a good thing to keep the light out of Fantilli. Not throwing him into deep end as the #1C between Gaudreau and Laine, let him get acclimated as the #2C while Laine takes all the pressure.
I 100% get the reasons behind it and support trying it out... if it works, I have to re-evaluate things. On paper, a lazy center who doesn't care about defense, isn't a good distributer of the puck and has notoriously low effort (and coachability) should simply not work. If it does though, it is a paradigm shift.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Laine has a lot of talent. His work rate and ego has hurt him. If he REALLY puts his mind into being a great hockey player, I have no doubt he could be one. The work rate is missing or has been at least.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I 100% get the reasons behind it and support trying it out... if it works, I have to re-evaluate things. On paper, a lazy center who doesn't care about defense, isn't a good distributer of the puck and has notoriously low effort (and coachability) should simply not work. If it does though, it is a paradigm shift.
That's not something I would say about Laine. He's a pretty damn good passer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad