Around the League - 2023/24

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
NJ is just something else

They can't blame the goalie anymore for this shit, Jake Allen has been very very good for them to the point that they were back in the playoff picture but nope, choke job in a must win game against Buffalo tonight.

@Pokecheque I said Buffalo and Ottawa were the biggest disappointments this year but I take it back, it's the Devils.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

They can't blame the goalie anymore for this shit, Jake Allen has been very very good for them to the point that they were back in the playoff picture but nope, choke job in a must win game against Buffalo tonight.

@Pokecheque I said Buffalo and Ottawa were the biggest disappointments this year but I take it back, it's the Devils.
Why did New Jersey think Travis Green was the answer? He was terrible in Vancouver.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

They were never gonna be the top contender this year people thought. Unfortunately for them, they're just too young and inexperienced still. They've got 1 more point than Buffalo and the Sabres are a mess.

Last year was their breakout, and teams usually take a step back after their breakout year, before they take a step forward again. Seattle and Minny are others example this year. Avs did it too after 13-14.

My guess is it's some combination of the young team getting overconfident in the follow up year, and other teams taking them more seriously and playing them harder.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pokecheque

Iā€™ve been told itā€™s spelled ā€œPokecheckā€
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

That said, I still think the lionā€™s share of the blame falls squarely on Fitzgerald. His outright refusal to address the goaltending situation wasted an entire prime season of a very talented core, and thatā€™s inexcusable.

Also, he spent considerable cap space and some decent assets to bring in Timo Meier so the team could be ā€œhard to play againstā€ and the exact opposite happened. Yes I know, heā€™s been hurt most of the year, but that uptick right after Lindy got the boot makes me think he was just half-assing it like usual.

Reactions: henchman21

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
this isn't the opening round lol
Yes it is, DU played yesterday and won in 2OT, Michigan today against UND, Quinnipiac OT winner against Wisconsin, Michigan State scored late and then won against Western Michigan in OT, and Minnesota barely got by Omaha. A ton of great games so far and now we have BU vs Minnesota on Saturday and MSU vs Michigan on Sunday.

E: I hope you didn't think I was talking about March Madness BB? It's crazy good for a week and then gets super boring after that.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Man Zegras' season is an absolute nightmare. Even when he played he hasn't been able to produce at all.

He has 4G 3A for 7 pts in 22 games.

Yeah he's still got a bunch of potential IMO but more and more it looks like he might not reach it. Happy we ended up with MittelJost who also didn't look great at 23 but definitely turned a corner.

Reactions: The Moops

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Also, he spent considerable cap space and some decent assets to bring in Timo Meier so the team could be ā€œhard to play againstā€ and the exact opposite happened. Yes I know, heā€™s been hurt most of the year, but that uptick right after Lindy got the boot makes me think he was just half-assing it like usual.
Look at this shit...this is year 1.

JGPEjnF.png

Pokecheque

Iā€™ve been told itā€™s spelled ā€œPokecheckā€
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man Zegras' season is an absolute nightmare. Even when he played he hasn't been able to produce at all.

He has 4G 3A for 7 pts in 22 games.
To be fair the Ducks as a whole have been an absolute nightmare since, like, November.

Injuries more or less derailed his season before he could even get going (doesnā€™t excuse everything but it explains some of it) but his game just completely crumbled under Cronin. Which is odd since heā€™s got a rep for developing young talent.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Barkov just scored a goal where Seider directed the puck into his own net, but theyā€™re giving assists on that play. How is that different from Toews goal where they didnā€™t give assist to MacK?

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Barkov just scored a goal where Seider directed the puck into his own net, but theyā€™re giving assists on that play. How is that different from Toews goal where they didnā€™t give assist to MacK?
It's different because that Barkov goal isn't threatening to overtake a niche Gretzky record by a player not named Connor McDavid. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: the_fan

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Directed like he deflected it? Thatā€™s not an own goal in hockey. Lindgren swept at the puck (whether or not Mikkoā€™s stick forced him to doesnā€™t matter). Thatā€™s different than it bouncing off an opposing player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad