GDT: Around the League 2023-24 Volume 3: Post All-Star Break Edition

Did you watch the skills competition and All-Star Game?

• I watched both

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • I watched the skills competition only

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I watched just the game

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Oh, so that’s why there haven’t been any league games the last several days

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Strange thing out of the Leaf's game last night. The Leaf's sixth goal was scored just after the end of a pp for the Buds. What made this unusual is that at the time three of the 4 penalty killers did not have sticks. I listened to this on the radio but did not see it. Did anyone else notice this?
Not aware of it. Could this cause some rethinks on players going back to standard wooden sticks for pk duty only? So many times the team shorthanded seems to have sticks break and making their disadvantage even more precarious. Theres less point to having carbon sticks on pk. Why not play with more durable ones?

I guess we're all Minnesota Wild fans for the next month :laugh:
Not sure if I'd go that far. Minny have been the Oilers nemesis as much as anybody. Just not in playoffs lately although they did knock us out of playoffs once in 90's. That was the Northstars though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
lol, Flames helping the Oilers and screwing themselves

gotta love it!!
I'm not so sure it helps the Oilers. I know this might sound odd considering that they beat L.A. and lost to Vegas last playoffs but the games against L.A. just seem harder but they don't have as many finishers as Vegas and Hill is better than their goalies, plus it'll be really hard to beat them 3 playoffs in a row. I prefer Vegas tbh.

Of course, it would be hilarious if Vegas missed the playoffs on so many levels but Gary and his cronies won't allow that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Funny how these strange injuries happen to every other team after the TDL or waaaay before the TDL or in the off season whereas with Vegas they always happen right at the deadline.

If you check back a couple weeks I even said Gillardi would be out much longer than expected but for two reasons:

Potential cap mitigation

Villardi is ALWAYS out for much longer than expected.

Its the reason LA finally traded him. He misses as many games as he plays.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

They got goaltending now.

1710537746852.png

Reactions: bellagiobob

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm not so sure it helps the Oilers. I know this might sound odd considering that they beat L.A. and lost to Vegas last playoffs but the games against L.A. just seem harder but they don't have as many finishers as Vegas and Hill is better than their goalies, plus it'll be really hard to beat them 3 playoffs in a row. I prefer Vegas tbh.

Of course, it would be hilarious if Vegas missed the playoffs on so many levels but Gary and his cronies won't allow that.
If LA and Vegas continue to lose, it helps the Oilers secure at least 2nd place

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If LA and Vegas continue to lose, it helps the Oilers secure at least 2nd place

The Oilers have that pretty much on lock no matter what those two teams do as long as they don't collapse down the stretch.. I'm talking in terms of 1st round matchup, I have a bad feeling if they play the Kings. I just feel like the Kings play them awfully well.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
The Oilers have that pretty much on lock no matter what those two teams do as long as they don't collapse down the stretch.. I'm talking in terms of 1st round matchup, I have a bad feeling if they play the Kings. I just feel like the Kings play them awfully well.
I'll still take the vengeful Kings over the cheating stacked Stanley Cup Champs in a playoff series.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Just saw the re-enactment of the Eakins swarm on the Jets game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Funny how these strange injuries happen to every other team after the TDL or waaaay before the TDL or in the off season whereas with Vegas they always happen right at the deadline.

With Vilardi it seems like if it isn't one thing it's another. I can't even imagine what will keep him out of the lineup next, but I'm sure it will be something bizarre.

"After returning for one game from the enlarged spleen, Vilardi is now out 4-6 weeks with an intrusive nail fungus."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
NHL scheduling being stupid again. Two games on only on a Friday night and neither is competitive in the slightest. Combined 11-0 win by good teams playing awful clubs tonight.

Neither game compelling after first period. To wit LA was up 4-0 after one period.

Jets took longer to roll the Ducks but never in doubt.

The NHL is basically putting two sorry ass games out on a prime viewing night and with little to no other sports on. They could be owning the Friday Night slot but instead they just shoot for Saturday full court action.

Would wonder how the NHL beancounters figure this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad