Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
we couldn’t do better than that?
Ian-Malcolm-Quote.gif

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wonder if Colorado/Detroit would have been as heated without Claude there, hopefully they mention his odd departure from New Jersey in the preamble. Would be nice if they had a quick recap of the early 90's Quebec squads as well.

ESPN+ has an extended version of Unrivaled. ~30 more minutes than what made it to broadcast. The opening has a little more from the 1995 Cup to give additional context to Claude helping beat the Red Wings. The TV broadcast kinda yada yada'd Claude going to Colorado. And they also mention Quebec.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
what is philly’s cap situation like? i feel like if Johnny Hockey can fit in their cap he will absolutely be there. if they’re in a cap crunch then i think we could be a likely landing spot.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
what is philly’s cap situation like? i feel like if Johnny Hockey can fit in their cap he will absolutely be there. if they’re in a cap crunch then i think we could be a likely landing spot.

Philly has $5 million in space with only 18 guys under contract

unless they can find a way to dump JVR, I Doubt they'd be in on him

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I expect them to move out JVR to get the space

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Dodged a major bullet on Fiala. That ask, and the term and AAV? He's not the player we'd want to invest that in. Our Zachas and Smiths and seconds wasn't gonna get it done, and people are already worried about paying Wright down the road. Good deal for LA, good deal for Min. Move on.

(I still want Pulju for our stolen RFA.)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
ESPN+ has an extended version of Unrivaled. ~30 more minutes than what made it to broadcast. The opening has a little more from the 1995 Cup to give additional context to Claude helping beat the Red Wings. The TV broadcast kinda yada yada'd Claude going to Colorado. And they also mention Quebec.

Yeah I was surprised they ONLY did ‘96-98 on the TV version, the teams met three more times in the playoffs after that!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dodged a major bullet on Fiala. That ask, and the term and AAV? He's not the player we'd want to invest that in. Our Zachas and Smiths and seconds wasn't gonna get it done, and people are already worried about paying Wright down the road. Good deal for LA, good deal for Min. Move on.

(I still want Pulju for our stolen RFA.)

no they aren't.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah I was surprised they ONLY did ‘96-98 on the TV version, the teams met three more times in the playoffs after that!

I got halfway through the extended cut and it has everything I thought the TV version missed. They cover the Red Wings chasing Roy out of his final start in Montreal. That's always a fun butterfly effect, although it seemed like Roy trade would have happened eventually since he hated Mario Tremblay.

I guess I didn't expect the main focus to be on Claude, McCarty, and Draper. Maybe once they traded Claude in 1999 there wasn't a better climax than the Wings winning for Konstantinov in 1998?

Reactions: HBK27

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m ok with Holtz going and he’s a better prospect than Faber, LA’s pick is 19th ours is 2. We didn’t have to include the 2OA, we could have done Holtz and a few picks.

What picks? It would be dumb to trade next years 1st and every other pick is worse than their 1st.

Holtz a winger and they need RHD way more. And RHD is more rare and more valuable. If Shero didn’t trade away every 2nd we ever had and we drafted some, maybe we could have had some to offer.

The Kings collected assets and then drafted a ton of centers and RHD to set themselves up in the position they’re in now, a team with a ton of high end, extra tradable assets. We didn’t effort to do that.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Either you do a full rebuild or you half ass it while lucking into some lottery picks.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
What picks? It would be dumb to trade next years 1st and every other pick is worse than their 1st.

Holtz a winger and they need RHD way more. And RHD is more rare and more valuable. If Shero didn’t trade away every 2nd we ever had and we drafted some, maybe we could have had some to offer.

The Kings collected assets and then drafted a ton of centers and RHD to set themselves up in the position they’re in now, a team with a ton of high end, extra tradable assets. We didn’t effort to do that.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Either you do a full rebuild or you half ass it while lucking into some lottery picks.

I prefer the lucking into lotto picks route

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Philly has $5 million in space with only 18 guys under contract

unless they can find a way to dump JVR, I Doubt they'd be in on him
They have come out and said they are going to be very aggressive makig changes. I 100% expect them to offer Johhny a contract . Their GM is an idiot and will do whatever it takes to try to get his guy. They will move JVR or even if they have to , do something stupid to move Provolov or Sanheim as they are some of their higher paid guys. Bringing in Torts , they are not just keeping tings status quo. They are aggressive and will pay whatever is needed as a sweetener to dump JVR , They think they are in win now mode amd need a must needed boost for their fans. so they will be willing to pay out the ass with futures to move cap.

My hope is that Johhny sees the Flyers are nkt in as good of a position long term as we are. Plus I can’t see Johnny being too excited about having Torts as a coach . I habe a big long winded post in another thread but I honestly think NJ are front runners for Gaudreau for a bunch of reasons.
However , all that could be trumped if Gaudreau has his mind set on beig as close to home as possible , refused less of the Flyers current roster and future success.

Reactions: glenwo2 and Mgd31

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Here is my long winded post on a different (wrong ) thread
I forgot to add in Torts as another factor for thinking Johhny does not sign in Philly

honestly believe we have a good chance of signing Gaudreau.
I wonder if Fitz alters his draft priority with pick #2 if he has a feeling they can sign Johhny? Maybe they would be more likely , or open to tradig down a little and take one of Jiricek or Nemec then if we add an elite winger?

I thimk there’s no way to know for certain enough if Johhny will sign to be able to adjust your drafting plans.

Re: Gaudreau that leads me to believe he could sign here :
1. Wife is pregnant with their first kid. His wife is from the area as well. Having famil and friends around when you have your first child would be massive . Also, I’m sure Johnny and his wife would prefer to have their child born in the US instead of Canada . Amd raise their kid where they grew up too.

2. Gaudreau HATES flying . NJ has kne of the best / least amount of travel in the league. Way more games where they are home vs. in a hotel on the road. This is huge for a new family plus if you hate flying , the less you do that , the better.

3. Close enough to what they consider “home” but maybe not too close. Gives them breathing room for family but yet close enough to plan and make quick trips to visit and help out.

4. Devils habe the cap room ready to go and won’t have to alter their roster to fit him in. Philly would have to get rid of salary to make it work. JVR or very good players like Provorov Seinheim might have to be traded . Philly already has depth issues and not very good prospects coming up and NJ appears to have a better future and promising players. Playing with Hughes or Nico plus old buddy Hamilton would be very appealing .

Only things Phlly has over us is that Hayes is a good friend of his and Johhny grew up a Philly fan I believe.That could be the difference maker but as a grown adult with a new family…. I hope he chooses NJ for the reasons I listed above.

I habe zero clue about the NJ area around where most Devils players live versus the area around Philly where he grew up .
Does one significantly better to live at over the other? Does one have better neighborhoods/ schools / things that are attractive to new families ?

I just think that we have a very good chance to sign him .
With how Fitz last off-season preached family or a brotherhood type atmosphere and building the culture the correct way , makimg promo videos on the area and what it’s like to be a Devils…. I can see that playing a factor in bringing in players……

Reactions: Lou is God

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That doesn't seem like the smartest idea lol

This seems like a bizarre thing to admit. He's essentially saying: "We could have gotten more, but I'm an idiot who doesn't know to use leverage and maximize the value of my assets."

Shit, it seems like if you could pull off some ridiculous deals to fleece the Wild if you could persuade Guerin it was the "right thing" to do.

Easier said than done, and maybe he's full of shit, but still. Guerin is saying the quiet part out loud and you should never do that.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

Philly is going to be in NHL purgatory for so long I hope they get JG so they extend that even further.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I guess that offer of 2nd overall, Alex Holtz, Ty Smith, and Pavel Zacha for Kevin Fiala wasn't good enough.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
This seems like a bizarre thing to admit. He's essentially saying: "We could have gotten more, but I'm an idiot who doesn't know to use leverage and maximize the value of my assets."

Shit, it seems like if you could pull off some ridiculous deals to fleece the Wild if you could persuade Guerin it was the "right thing" to do.

Easier said than done, and maybe he's full of shit, but still. Guerin is saying the quiet part out loud and you should never do that.
Totally disagree.

What is maximizing value?

Many on this board and the main board feel Minny did well in this deal. What more could they have gotten? An extra 3rd?

And to get that extra value, Guerin would have risked LA changing their mind / going in a different direction.

If Faber was the guy his scouts wanted (vs Holtz), then it seems like Guerin did the right thing.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Totally disagree.

What is maximizing value?

Many on this board and the main board feel Minny did well in this deal. What more could they have gotten? An extra 3rd?

And to get that extra value, Guerin would have risked LA changing their mind / going in a different direction.

If Faber was the guy his scouts wanted (vs Holtz), then it seems like Guerin did the right thing.

If the rumors are true, they had other suitors for the trade. He could have pursued something else if LA fell through. An extra 3rd is not nothing.

However, you are right that if they thought Farber was their guy and were specifically targeting him, then it came out pretty well.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

He's essentially saying "I could've dragged this thing out and dicked around in hopes of a better deal emerging down the road, but this was a good, fair offer so we took it."

No guarantee the Wild do better than this closer to the draft. Seemed to be a good fit between the Kings and Wild, with LA offering that 1st round pick and a position of need for Minnesota in RD. Kings could've gone in another direction if Wild dragged this out and the deal could've gotten worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad