Around the League - 2022 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Boston University connection. He also looks the part. And he’s Irish which will go down well in Beantown. But if you wanted confirmation that they were going into full rebuild, if not tank mode next season, the hiring of Quinn would provide it. He’s not a coach they hire if they are thinking any longer they can win now. He’s a guy to develop youngsters, like Ruff, by letting them go up and down the ice full tilt to hopefully develop their games. He’s a college coach. Which is exactly what he was at BU.
Ask any Ranger fan what they think of how he developed youth.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Yeah that’s his calling card now. Fox. Chytil. The goalie. Miller and the others. Ruff had a hand in the defensemen too.
I wasn't saying that as a positive. They think he stank as a development guy and constantly prioritized vets and grit over young talent.

I'm not sure whether that's true or just grumbling from a generally pessimistic fanbase, but when it comes to offense I can kinda see the point.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Boston University connection. He also looks the part. And he’s Irish which will go down well in Beantown. But if you wanted confirmation that they were going into full rebuild, if not tank mode next season, the hiring of Quinn would provide it. He’s not a coach they hire if they are thinking any longer they can win now. He’s a guy to develop youngsters, like Ruff, by letting them go up and down the ice full tilt to hopefully develop their games. He’s a college coach. Which is exactly what he was at BU.
Thought they would go with Jay Leach and this seems worse to me. It seems more in line with their focus on team defense. Not sure he develops offensive talent but we’ll see.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll breathe a sigh of relief when (if) the Bruins officially hire him.

I'm afraid he's a candidate for one of our assistant roles if he misses out on a head coaching gig. If he becomes an assistant for us, there's a good chance he's next in line to take over when the inevitable Ruff firing happens.

I clearly remember a poster at some point last year (wish I remembered who) saying that he was in attendance at a Devils game last year with his wife and was even talking to Harris or Blitzer during the game.

With just working for the Rangers and likely still living in the area, it's not outlandish to think he was just there to see a game and there wouldn't be the awkwardness of having to walk into MSG to see a game a few months after you were fired.

But between that and a few other words (Which might have meant nothing and could have been baseless speculation or just plain made up) and rumors since late in the season and into the offseason, it seemed like he was a potential candidate here for one of the vacancies.

With his head coaching experience you would think he could quickly become the head coach here if he's on Ruff's staff and Ruff goes.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Poor Amo

76 goal season (shared Rocket-Richard award)
55 goal season
Eight – 30-goal seasons

Career scored at .47 goals per game (39 goals over 82 game season average)

Triple Gold Club member
Stanley Cup Winner
Lady Byng Winner

Multiple all stars

One of the most dynamic players in the game.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I'll breathe a sigh of relief when (if) the Bruins officially hire him.

I'm afraid he's a candidate for one of our assistant roles if he misses out on a head coaching gig. If he becomes an assistant for us, there's a good chance he's next in line to take over when the inevitable Ruff firing happens.

I clearly remember a poster at some point last year (wish I remembered who) saying that he was in attendance at a Devils game last year with his wife and was even talking to Harris or Blitzer during the game.

With just working for the Rangers and likely still living in the area, it's not outlandish to think he was just there to see a game and there wouldn't be the awkwardness of having to walk into MSG to see a game a few months after you were fired.

But between that and a few other words (Which might have meant nothing and could have been baseless speculation or just plain made up) and rumors since late in the season and into the offseason, it seemed like he was a potential candidate here for one of the vacancies.

With his head coaching experience you would think he could quickly become the head coach here if he's on Ruff's staff and Ruff goes.
He came to a lot of our games scouting for team USA prior to the olypmic pull out, plus he an Ruff are said to be really good friends.

Probably had a bit to do with both

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
longevity, durability ... i dont discount these factors

what good is lindros and his career 58 games played average over a sporatic 13 seasons.
There is a bit of an advantage given to players that played a physical style. The thinking is that they gave up their bodies (and by extension, productivity and health in their late 30s) for the good for their team. So guys like Lindros and Neely are given lenience for not doing much past 30.

that was a complete farce with the burns induction

its been a bone of contention and not only for devils fans. an egregious lack of class for what was an inevitable happening

shame.
I think they need to bring more transparency to the voting process and make it more similar to baseball. Let's figure out who is on a crusade against letting certain members in. I'm almost certain that Burke and Clarke are helping prevent Turgeon being let in because he is too soft for them.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Makes sense for both sides. Kings were deep on the right side, although Faber was different than what they had. Faber maybe turns pro next spring and can possibly jump in immediately on the 3rd pair.

Almost feel bad for Friedman, I'm sure there'll be some people who read the other misquote and respond to Friedman with "Thought you said he was going to NJ or OTT. You're a fraud."

Time to redo my mock draft, I had Minnesota taking Ryan Chesley at #24 but that maybe seems redundant now that they have Faber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Better Call Sal

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
we couldn’t do better than that?

Without adding in Mercer or Holtz or 2OA no we probably couldn't. I'm not throwing in any of those pieces. You keep those pieces and you go after a UFA if you want. Maybe they would've taken a 2023 protected 1st+ but they might have also thought that pick would be mid teens anyway and they'd prefer to just have the pick this year instead.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
we couldn’t do better than that?

I like Faber, but we don't have a RD prospect like that. They already have a Walsh-type with Calen Addison. You could argue that Nolan Foote has more "value" in a vacuum but Minnesota has a ton of depth at left wing.

Not sure what we have that would have been worth the same as the 19th pick. Mukhamadullin? Minnesota might not value him as highly. I don't think Stillman is worth as much. Next year's #1? I don't know if I'd want to trade that without heavy protections. I doubt people would want to start dangling Mercer. Personally would have been hesitant to offer up Holtz and have to pay Fiala's extension.

Will be interesting, but I'd have Minnesota picking hometown kid Jimmy Snuggerud at #19 now. Although Guerin did lament how his time playing for his hometown Bruins wasn't the most enjoyable in his career due to the constant off ice distractions.

Reactions: HBK27 and Hisch13r

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Without adding in Mercer or Holtz or 2OA no we couldn't. I'm not throwing in any of those pieces. You keep those pieces and you go after a UFA if you want.

I’m ok with Holtz going and he’s a better prospect than Faber, LA’s pick is 19th ours is 2. We didn’t have to include the 2OA, we could have done Holtz and a few picks.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah that is a good amount for Fiala. I would not want to go with our first anyway. A first and brock is a pretty good haul

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’m ok with Holtz going and he’s a better prospect than Faber, LA’s pick is 19th ours is 2. We didn’t have to include the 2OA, we could have done Holtz and a few picks.

I'm not moving Holtz. I'm keeping him even with me having my concers. He's a 20 year old coming off a great AHL year and he has lots of potential and 3 years on his ELC. Then go swing big on Forsberg (I wouldn't do that), or Gaudreau. Buravkosky as well is an option. He's not Fiala but he's been a really good 5v5 producer and you're still keeping Holtz.

Yeah that is a good amount for Fiala. I would not want to go with our first anyway. A first and brock is a pretty good haul

It's basically in line with the Reinhart deal from last year. This return is a bit better than Reinhart's return and Fiala's better than Reinhart so it evens out.

Camille the Eel

I wasn't saying that as a positive. They think he stank as a development guy and constantly prioritized vets and grit over young talent.

I'm not sure whether that's true or just grumbling from a generally pessimistic fanbase, but when it comes to offense I can kinda see the point.
Ha yes they are always complaining. I guess it’s true of fans everywhere when their teams don’t win. Yet the development of a bunch of the guys who excelled this year took place under Quinn. Zibanejad certainly matured during his tenure too, though he was eventually hammered badly by Covid. The Rangers power play also came together under Quinn. Buchenevich too. Now that I think of it, his time there coincided with a slew of the kids there developing. Funny thing is that I remember his Rangers club as being very leaky and irresponsible defensively. High scoring and highly scored upon.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
"We couldn't do better than that" is always my least favorite comment on this board after every single move gets made in the league.
Exactly. Couldn’t is a negative word; we should keep things in a positive mindset and say “We could do better than that”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad