Around the league 2022-23 season - part III (MOD message in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Freddy's brother Ralph was definitely horrible, but was he just an interim in Edmonton? If he wasn't then he only got about 48 games there, as he was only there for that lockout season and then they moved on from him the next year to hire Eakins. I don't think we really knew Ralph was that bad from just that stint, but it became evident in Buffalo just how bad he was.

And from what I remember, no one gave a shit about Ralph anymore until he coached that Team Europe at the 2016 world cup of hockey. Halak played like 2010 playoff Halak and all the sudden that jackass became a hot commodity again, but I don't think he'll ever coach in the league in any capacity ever again after Buffalo.

Murray had been grooming Eakins for several years to take over for Carlyle 2.0 in Anaheim, which may have gone on even longer if the results weren't so bad in his final seasons there.

For some f***ing reason Craig MacTavish was GM for the Oilers for 2 seasons.

Steve Tambellini fired him at the end of the 2008-09 season, a year after Tambellini took the GM job.

Then Pat Quinn coached for a year. Tom Renney coach for two years. Then Krueger coached the 48 game season in 2012-13.

MacTavish had wandered around (Team Canada, AHL) until he became a Sr VP back in Edmonton in 2012-13 season.

Tambellini got fired at the end of 2012-13, GMs only get so many coaching changes. MacTavish got back just in time to inexplicably get the GM job.

MacTavish reportedly wasn’t looking for a new Head Coach at first, he was looking for an experienced Associate Coach to help Krueger.

Rick Bowness turned down Edmonton to take an Associate Coach job in Tampa.

Paul Maurice was also interviewed, don’t know who said no there, but PM went back to work for TSN until the Jets hired him in January 2014 to replace the fired Claude Noël.

When MacTavish met Eakins he was so impressed that he decided to give him the HC job and dumped Krueger.

Eakins lasted 18 months. MacTavish went back to being the Sr VP when Chiarelli became GM in April 2015 (he got the job 9 days after being fired by the Bruins).

Don’t worry, MacTavish’s unrevealed, but theoretically possibly existing, executive skills didn’t go to waste:

990F76BA-0B41-4FDC-9AFD-214F8074DC65.jpeg

Both were gone from Edmonton after 2018-19.

MacTavish had a couple jobs outside of the NHL after that, I do enjoy the headline that came from his 2 year deal with a KHL team.

409695E8-15AE-4EC4-A754-6A5664BD72A2.jpeg

But if MacTavish teaches us anything, it’s the Value of Friendship.

The start of his head coaching career:
0830574A-76AB-40F9-8F7B-4E77E07DDCDE.jpeg

And how did he get that Assistant Coach job in St Louis for the 2022-23 season, after not coaching in the league since 2008-09? (A job he just lost after one season.)

Hmmm… I wonder.
5B858AFD-25DE-408D-97F9-0BD0CC220343.jpeg

3782191E-BC4E-49C8-844B-80092CCBD7AD.jpeg

But I digress (a lot lol).

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For some f***ing reason Craig MacTavish was GM for the Oilers for 2 seasons.

Steve Tambellini fired him at the end of the 2008-09 season, a year after Tambellini took the GM job.

Then Pat Quinn coached for a year. Tom Renney coach for two years. Then Krueger coached the 48 game season in 2012-13.

MacTavish had wandered around (Team Canada, AHL) until he became a Sr VP back in Edmonton in 2012-13 season.

Tambellini got fired at the end of 2012-13, GMs only get so many coaching changes. MacTavish got back just in time to inexplicably get the GM job.

MacTavish reportedly wasn’t looking for a new Head Coach at first, he was looking for an experienced Associate Coach to help Krueger.

Rick Bowness turned down Edmonton to take an Associate Coach job in Tampa.

Paul Maurice was also interviewed, don’t know who said no there, but PM went back to work for TSN until the Jets hired him in January 2014 to replace the fired Claude Noël.

When MacTavish met Eakins he was so impressed that he decided to give him the HC job and dumped Krueger.

Eakins lasted 18 months. MacTavish went back to being the Sr VP when Chiarelli became GM in April 2015 (he got the job 9 days after being fired by the Bruins).

Don’t worry, MacTavish’s unrevealed, but theoretically possibly existing, executive skills didn’t go to waste:

View attachment 688629
Both were gone from Edmonton after 2018-19.

MacTavish had a couple jobs outside of the NHL after that, I do enjoy the headline that came from his 2 year deal with a KHL team.

View attachment 688631

But if MacTavish is teaches us anything, it’s the Value of Friendship.

The start of his head coaching career:
View attachment 688633

And how did he get that Assistant Coach job in St Louis for the 2022-23 season, after not coaching in the league since 2008-09? (A job he just lost after one season.)

Hmmm… I wonder.
View attachment 688641
View attachment 688640

But I digress (a lot lol).
I forgot Chiarelli was working for the Blues.

I remembered when they hired him, because it was such a laugher that another team hired him after his Edmonton GM stint, even though it wasn't in a GM or head of hockey ops position.

I guess I figured he was already gone from there by now? Then again, a lot of the former GM's are employed by team's in some other kind of role. Ray Shero for the Wild, Chuck Fletcher got a position with us in his brief time between the Wild and Flyers GM tenures. Dean Lombardi is with the Flyers and has been with the Flyers before. I'm pretty sure he had a role there for those few years in between his Sharks and Kings GM tenures. You know Hextall is going somewhere in some role, probably back to the Flyers.

MacTavish was the Oilers head coach for quite a long time. Close to a decade, wasn't it? He had the one SCF appearance, but they kept him around at least 8 years I wanna say? Maybe 9?

And then he came back to be the GM after Tambellini, but I'm pretty sure he was still employed by the organization in the years between his head coaching removal and his promotion to general manager. And he was also working there for several years after his GM stint ended...... I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with Kevin Lowe. Those guys almost had jobs for life in Edmonton.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I forgot Chiarelli was working for the Blues.

I remembered when they hired him, because it was such a laugher that another team hired him after his Edmonton GM stint, even though it wasn't in a GM or head of hockey ops position.

I guess I figured he was already gone from there by now? Then again, a lot of the former GM's are employed by team's in some other kind of role. Ray Shero for the Wild, Chuck Fletcher got a position with us in his brief time between the Wild and Flyers GM tenures. Dean Lombardi is with the Flyers and has been with the Flyers before. I'm pretty sure he had a role there for those few years in between his Sharks and Kings GM tenures. You know Hextall is going somewhere in some role, probably back to the Flyers.

MacTavish was the Oilers head coach for quite a long time. Close to a decade, wasn't it? He had the one SCF appearance, but they kept him around at least 8 years I wanna say? Maybe 9?

And then he came back to be the GM after Tambellini, but I'm pretty sure he was still employed by the organization in the years between his head coaching removal and his promotion to general manager. And he was also working there for several years after his GM stint ended...... I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with Kevin Lowe. Those guys almost had jobs for life in Edmonton.
MacTavish coached for what’s the equivalent of an eternity in Edmonton coaching careers.

91F50AA5-AB56-4942-91E4-749EABBC0961.jpeg

Yeah, Edmonton is terrible when it comes to
the Hockey Men Who Never Leave.

I think Shero might be pretty helpful to Guerin, who doesn’t have much executive experience since he was only a AGM for ~4 years.

But senior advisor is different Sr VP, I’m a little shocked that Chiarelli has wormed his way back into an executive position.

Chiarelli is replacing Dave Taylor so I guess he likes ex-GMs in the Sr VP job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad