Around the league 2022-23 season - part III (MOD message in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I soured on him after the Kyle Beach stuff came out. I soured on him A LOT.

I also think he's probably the most overrated player of his generation, but that's not his fault.

If this is it for him? I only think he's a borderline hall of famer. He wasn't really better than Patrik Elias other than being a captain for 3 Stanley Cup teams and getting the Conn Smythe one of those times.

He don't even have 1000 points. Actually, he won't even finish with 900 if this is it for him.

I see him kind of like a Brad Richards, only he captained 3 cups winners and won a Conn Smythe, which is something Brad Richards also has. Most Hawks fans will fight me on that and say ''Dat leadership tho'' or intangibles or something.

Again, it's not his fault that people overrated him, but he's certainly no legend. But you know if he don't play again after this year, he's going right into the HOF class of 2026.

You’re very much underrating Toews as a player in his prime years, his peak is very high. His decline started early though and it was a dramatic fall.

Elias had a great season at age 32, 34 and 35. Getting 62 points on the 2010-11 team might be more impressive than 78 points the next season lol.

He gets dinged for being on an offensively challenged team (at times), peaking in the dead puck era, and being on a team where the goalie and defensemen were the stars.

Toews will likely get in on the 1st ballot so he’s not borderline any more than MAF is. Elias getting screwed has nothing to do with it.

Our boy

Also Toews having a Selke and Elias not is a crime but whatever.

Right ?!?!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You’re very much underrating Toews as a player in his prime years, his peak is very high. His decline started early though and it was a dramatic fall.

Elias had a great season at age 32, 34 and 35. Getting 62 points on the 2010-11 team might be more impressive than 78 points the next season lol.

He gets dinged for being on an offensively challenged team (at times), peaking in the dead puck era, and being on a team where the goalie and defensemen were the stars.

Toews will likely get in on the 1st ballot so he’s not borderline any more than MAF is. Elias getting screwed has nothing to do with it.

Our boy

Also Toews having a Selke and Elias not is a crime but whatever.

Right ?!?!

Fair enough. All good points.

I still maintain he’s the most overrated player of his generation.

I think it’s the three cups/captaining three cup teams and at a young age is really what causes him to get as much praise as he does.

Hall of famer? Sure. And yeah, better than MAF, who I also don’t mind if he gets in the HOF.

I don’t consider him some legend or all time great though, unless your definition of legend or all time great is a hall of famer.

Him at the round table with Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Crosby as a fellow active player during that NHL 100 thing just felt really out of place. Crosby is definitely an all time legend, Orr and Gretzky are all time legends, Mario Lemieux is an all time legend. Toews is not an all time legend. He just felt really out of place there.

They probably should have had Ovechkin if they wanted another active player to go along with Crosby. The guy is more than likely gonna get the goals record and even if there were questions in 2017 if he would or not, I think you could have already considered him the greatest goal scorer of all time, adjusted for era or at least close enough as of 2017.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Elias played 10 years too early to get the full
appreciation. If the advance stat metrics we have now existed for his full career he would be viewed very much like Bergeron is now. Both players career stats are very similar.
I think Bergeron is better than Toews career, but I realize in Toews prime he was better than Bergeron.

The biggest difference is Toews early decline.

Bergeron is 3 years older than Toews and hasn’t had much of a drop off from his prime years.

I was like “WTF man?” When he kind of teased retirement and that it was his last game after they were eliminated last year. Especially with the season he just had.

I guess he just really hated Cassidy, which is clearly why they let him go, among other players not lining him.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think Lando matters to the Avs much if at all. They’ll be fine and happy to take that cap space back if he’s actually done. He’s been overrated since his draft, though I do like him as a player.

On another note, Oilers fans seem to have let two months give them massive delusions of grandeur.

Huh? Their top line doesn’t matter? How does a guy who plays massive minutes not matter?

And the team lost depth already with the loss of Kadri and Burakovsky.

Rantanen and MacKinnon had monster seasons and they have Makar, which is a lot, but then there’s a real drop off.

It would help if Nichushkin can get back to where he was at the beginning of the season. It looked like he was going to have a break out season when scored 12 goals in their first 7 games. Then he got hurt and missed the next 18 games.

He’s just been dinged up all season.
610FA2BC-C667-47B9-9176-26E55A9C7897.jpeg

After scoring in 6 of his first 7 to get 7 goals, Nichushkin ended up with 17 goals in 52 GP.

And all his sexy play driving isn’t there either.

CC2D2FC0-0352-4780-8685-4529FDC3E3FB.png

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think Bergeron is better than Toews career, but I realize in Toews prime he was better than Bergeron.

The biggest difference is Toews early decline.

Bergeron is 3 years older than Toews and hasn’t had much of a drop off from his prime years.

I was like “WTF man?” When he kind of teased retirement and that it was his last game after they were eliminated last year. Especially with the season he just had.

I guess he just really hated Cassidy, which is clearly why they let him go, among other players not lining him.
I just don't think Toews was THAT good. Sure he's an excellent all around player but idk I'm indifferent towards him.

Reactions: Oneiro

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fair enough. All good points.

I still maintain he’s the most overrated player of his generation.

I think it’s the three cups/captaining three cup teams and at a young age is really what causes him to get as much praise as he does.

Hall of famer? Sure. And yeah, better than MAF, who I also don’t mind if he gets in the HOF.

I don’t consider him some legend or all time great though, unless your definition of legend or all time great is a hall of famer.

Him at the round table with Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux and Crosby as a fellow active player during that NHL 100 thing just felt really out of place. Crosby is definitely an all time legend, Orr and Gretzky are all time legends, Mario Lemieux is an all time legend. Toews is not an all time legend. He just felt really out of place there.

They probably should have had Ovechkin if they wanted another active player to go along with Crosby. The guy is more than likely gonna get the goals record and even if there were questions in 2017 if he would or not, I think you could have already considered him the greatest goal scorer of all time, adjusted for era or at least close enough as of 2017.

It depends on how much you care about “overrating”. I don’t care about it much at all, it’s not the player’s fault and doesn’t affect what actually happened.

I have more of a problem with the unfairness of Elias being underrated, but it’s not like there’s a finite amount of acclaim in the world and it’s been used up on this Canadian hero.

The round table thing was just an NBC tv thing.

058F8024-6395-432C-850C-C6A971BEF290.jpeg

He’s gotten too high on greatest 100 players lists than he should, because of his role on teams that won a bunch of shit.

He’s in the Triple Gold Club, having won a Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold and a World Championship.

Did you not know this was a thing?

CB626F7E-6146-4349-B5B3-6D315B13936C.jpeg

I just get a kick out of no one paying attention to this until Sakic, Blake and Shanahan won at the Olympics.

66EF1610-85DE-40E8-9CEA-17DB22281560.jpeg

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Huh? Their top line doesn’t matter? How does a guy who plays massive minutes not matter?

And the team lost depth already with the loss of Kadri and Burakovsky.

Rantanen and MacKinnon had monster seasons and they have Makar, which is a lot, but then there’s a real drop off.

It would help if Nichushkin can get back to where he was at the beginning of the season. It looked like he was going to have a break out season when scored 12 goals in their first 7 games. Then he got hurt and missed the next 18 games.

He’s just been dinged up all season.
View attachment 688403

After scoring in 6 of his first 7 to get 7 goals, Nichushkin ended up with 17 goals in 52 GP.

And all his sexy play driving isn’t there either.

He’s a 60-70 pt wing but if he’s done, they’re going to avoid six more years of a contract that is getting much worse, likely why they had that off-season negotiation drama in the first place. Nichushkin hurts more but I just don’t think Landeskog coming off that injury was ever going to be relevant and he was maybe at best 5th-6th most important player on that team last year’s playoffs.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
If anyone can do it, it’s hextall.

That granlund trade is easily as bad as any move Fletcher made in Philly. It’s INSANE.

I still can't get over the fact that he tried to trade for the well-known-to-be-toxic JT Miller, then managed to f*** that up too.

His entire trade deadline registers very high on the Milbury scale.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

And the chaser…

Most predictable news of the day.

Although, I did think it was a toss up between that and the guys in Calgary, which I haven't heard anything about as of yet.

Please tell me this is the last GM/president of hockey ops job Burke will ever get? I swear he's gotten more GM/head of hockey ops jobs than almost anyone. There aren't many guys other than Lou and him who are active GM's/hockey ops heads that have been a GM/head of hockey ops for more than 2 teams. I feel like Bryan Murray was the GM for quite a few teams over like a 30 year span. RutherFOOL is also on his third GM/president of hockey ops job.

Burke was the presidents of hockey ops in Pittsburgh, had the same job/title in Calgary, and before that was the GM in Toronto, Anaheim and Vancouver. He also nearing 70 years old.

He's way too out of touch to be given a job where he actually controls a team/makes decisions and has been for quite some time.

I do remember a lot of Flyers fans weren't happy with Hextall being fired when he was and thought he was doing a good job, but I don't see many Flyers fans really defend him as much anymore.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The way Pittsburgh missed the playoffs really was a joke. And that's not even including the 7 game losing streak (didn't they have a couple long ones?) to start the season and getting ripped apart in the season series against the Islanders, who made it in ahead of them by just 2 points.

All these idiots had to do was beat Chicago the other night and they could have still made the playoffs over Florida with their OT loss to Columbus last night.

It would have still been a nailbiter and they would have needed Carolina's help last night, which if all things remained the same they would have gotten.

If they had just won that one game against terrible, shitty Chicago, they still would have made it, based on Florida's results last night. And that's still with all the other shit that hurt them this season, that would still be with just getting a point against another shitty team in Columbus and losing in OT. All they needed was that one win in the second to last game of the season over Chicago. At home! That was it. They would have gotten help from Carolina, they had help from Toronto against Florida in their second to last game who kept them from getting the second point in that game.

Just a pathetic way to go out.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL Eakins fired too.

Saw that coming, but also thought maybe Verbeek would pull the same thing Yzerman did with Blashill and leave him a few more years since he knows they won't be good anyway.

Eakins has to be the WOAT among head coaches that have gotten more than one head coaching job in the NHL, right?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
LOL Eakins fired too.

Saw that coming, but also thought maybe Verbeek would pull the same thing Yzerman did with Blashill and leave him a few more years since he knows they won't be good anyway.

Eakins has to be the WOAT among head coaches that have gotten more than one head coaching job in the NHL, right?
He’s better than the guy her replaced in Edmonton….Ralph Krueger.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s better than the guy her replaced in Edmonton….Ralph Krueger.
Freddy's brother Ralph was definitely horrible, but was he just an interim in Edmonton? If he wasn't then he only got about 48 games there, as he was only there for that lockout season and then they moved on from him the next year to hire Eakins. I don't think we really knew Ralph was that bad from just that stint, but it became evident in Buffalo just how bad he was.

And from what I remember, no one gave a shit about Ralph anymore until he coached that Team Europe at the 2016 world cup of hockey. Halak played like 2010 playoff Halak and all the sudden that jackass became a hot commodity again, but I don't think he'll ever coach in the league in any capacity ever again after Buffalo.

Murray had been grooming Eakins for several years to take over for Carlyle 2.0 in Anaheim, which may have gone on even longer if the results weren't so bad in his final seasons there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I keep forgetting MacBrainDamage was an assistant there. That was a one and done.

I still can't believe an organization not named the Edmonton Oilers gave him a coaching job or a job of any kind, that wasn't a beer vendor in the arena.

I'm waiting for him to be inducted into the HOF any year now.

He can go in for most games played without a helmet in the post-helmet era.

Not a surprise Laviolette is parting ways with WAS. Guy looked miserable all year long.
He was apparently a lame duck with no contract for next year, anyway.

I figured the playoff miss was enough to do away with him, unless Ovechkin and the vets there liked him and vouched for him enough to re-up him for one more year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is it irrational tho?

I should have let it go by now.

From his perspective, I could understand that he was getting lowballed by Lou. Scott Gomez's ELC was ~700K so I can only assume Lou was offering Van Ryn something similar. Van Ryn figured he could choose his landing spot and get a more lucrative deal. He'd end up getting 1.025 mil per year with St. Louis; Apparently he got around the rookie cap (975K) because he was a free agent.

Also amusing since we were awarded a 1st (plus the option to swap 1sts) between 1999-2003 due to St. Louis tampering with Scott Stevens in 1994. In a weird way, they essentially took a 1st rounder back from us in Van Ryn.

It's too bad, Lou apparently wouldn't trade Van Ryn at the 1999 trade deadline for guys like Theo Fleury and Boris Mironov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad