Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
HF Oil is good for a chuckle. They have finally realized they have no depth.

Another problem is Talbot of off to a REALLY slow start too. Last season their stars were healthy and their starter stood on his head. Same as Toronto last year.....no meaningful injuries and great goaltending.

Chia has some goofy contracts (RNH, Luc, Russell) and they are missing Sekera to anchor their 2nd pair but injuries happen.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I called it in the summer. I don't like the oilers depth at all. They have a great 1st line and mediocre forward depth outside of that. Their defense outside of their top pair is also sub par. Given their huge contracts they are going to have issues moving forward.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I called it in the summer. I don't like the oilers depth at all. They have a great 1st line and mediocre forward depth outside of that. Their defense outside of their top pair is also sub par. Given their huge contracts they are going to have issues moving forward.

its-a-good-thing.jpg

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Nice goal by Drew Stafford against Pavelec tonight. :)

Meanwhile, in the late game, Evander Kane takes a bonehead penalty with just over two minutes to play in a 2-2 game. Kings score on the powerplay and win the game.

And lol, Kane is an assistant captain?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Meanwhile, in the late game, Evander Kane takes a bonehead penalty with just over two minutes to play in a 2-2 game. Kings score on the powerplay and win the game.

And lol, Kane is an assistant captain?

So you haven't noticed that our captain and assistant captain (Buff) regularly take bonehead penalties?

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was alot of fun seeing our guys get the W and then watching the Oilers get their poop pushed in. They've surpassed the Leafs for team I most get a kick out of losing. Their players/fans take it so hard :)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Was alot of fun seeing our guys get the W and then watching the Oilers get their poop pushed in. They've surpassed the Leafs for team I most get a kick out of losing. Their players/fans take it so hard :)

I have a deep seated hatred of the Oilers. I respect the hell out of the team but I hate the team. A ton of talent. But I've long worried about their cap situation. The 6-6-6 deal was poorly thought out and then a few other deals. McDavid, no question on what they're paying him. But Draistail? Well, ok if he's the stud they say and will anchor their second line giving them arguably two first line centers vis-a-vis the Penguins. Then I watch them play the Jets and he doesn't stray from McDavid's line? WTF? He makes 2.5 mill more than Scheifele? Really? They're following the Chicago model but haven't won diddly.

But Leafs remain my #1 to hate. That said, ton of talent and Babcock. They'll get there before us because coaching.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
They've surpassed the Leafs for team I most get a kick out of losing. Their players/fans take it so hard :)

Nothing will surpass my schadenfreude at Leafs losing. Them and the Penguins are the only two fanbases I have a problem with

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm not high on the oilers because
1. McLellan's go to move is "moar MCDAVID". Powerplay, penalty kill, down a goal, etc., Double duty all night for the guy.

2. Draisatl is not a centre. Forget the boards all summer after that giant contract, but he is McDavid's winger. They terrify me together, but that's over 20 million dollars of eggs in one basket.

3. It's the oilers. They would kill the old Jets, they sucked for ten years, prevented talent from going to other teams, rushed their first overalls into the NHL (hampering development), and yet the day they scored McDavid the fans became cocky and entitled, the coach is an Adams candidate, and they're a cup favorite??

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Jets fans wringing their hands over our CF% should look at the Oilers. 66% in last night's game which they lost 6 to 1. At no time did they look like a team that was dominating possession yet the stats say they "should" have won...

So far in the NHL this year there is no correlation between corsi and winning. Jets are not alone.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Jets fans wringing their hands over our CF% should look at the Oilers. 66% in last night's game which they lost 6 to 1. At no time did they look like a team that was dominating possession yet the stats say they "should" have won...

So far in the NHL this year there is no correlation between corsi and winning. Jets are not alone.

[mod] A recent article on TSN had many players scoffing at Corsi or noting how some players would engineer their Corsi stats.

If people want to live and die with those types of stats, heh, whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
[mod] A recent article on TSN had many players scoffing at Corsi or noting how some players would engineer their Corsi stats.

If people want to live and die with those types of stats, heh, whatever.

Engineering your Corsi stats are not as easy as it seems. I mean think about it. You need to defend the opposition in your own zone, gain possession of the puck, successfully exit the zone and enter the opposition zone. Now finally you are at a place where you can do some "corsi padding" But if you are good at all those other things why wouldn't you just try and score a goal?

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Let’s wait and see what happens over a few months. Game to game it won’t tell you a whole lot because of such a small period. See the same trends over a longer period and teams on the positive end will likely be towards the top while the teams on the other end will likely be out of playoff spots.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Engineering your Corsi stats are not as easy as it seems. I mean think about it. You need to defend the opposition in your own zone, gain possession of the puck, successfully exit the zone and enter the opposition zone. Now finally you are at a place where you can do some "corsi padding" But if you are goid at all those other things why wouldn't you just try and score a goal?
Evander Kane...

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Engineering your Corsi stats are not as easy as it seems. I mean think about it. You need to defend the opposition in your own zone, gain possession of the puck, successfully exit the zone and enter the opposition zone. Now finally you are at a place where you can do some "corsi padding" But if you are good at all those other things why wouldn't you just try and score a goal?

A player can make a low value shot or hold onto the puck to try and make a better play. One rewards Corsi but is probably not the right decision to make.

If Corsi is ever used during contract negotiations (it doesn’t sound like it is for the most part) then players will be incentivized to play sub-optimally.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
A player can make a low value shot or hold onto the puck to try and make a better play. One rewards Corsi but is probably not the right decision to make.

If Corsi is ever used during contract negotiations (it doesn’t sound like it is for the most part) then players will be incentivized to play sub-optimally.

Yes I understand all that. But the players who are better at getting to the point where they can shoot often enough to make a difference are usually better players. They don't need to game the system. They are probably more interested in making the best play they can.

Whereas the players who would "benefit" from this sort of padding are the ones who don't get as many opportunities to do it because they are not as accomplished at all the other things in hockey that happen before you are in a position to shoot the puck.

Reactions: kxx

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I think they'll be disincentivized by losing their roster spot when the coaching staff pull the rug out from under them if they're not playing the systems requested.

I highly doubt that anyone is trying to "game" their Corsi stats.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think they'll be disincentivized by losing their roster spot when the coaching staff pull the rug out from under them if they're not playing the systems requested.

I highly doubt that anyone is trying to "game" their Corsi stats.

http://www.tsn.ca/why-nhlers-hate-analytics-1.862980

Kane said he believes some players consciously try to game the numbers.

“I do think some guys know in the back of their head it’s a stat, so they just throw the puck on net,” he said.

The only time, it seems, that Corsi becomes important - or that players pay attention - is when it’s used at the negotiating table for the next contract.

“Players pay attention a little bit then,” Jones said. “I know it’s getting frustrating for players because [teams] they’re using it in negotiations, saying ‘Hey, this guy has a Corsi that’s low, we’ll give him $200,000 less bucks.’ It’s a little frustrating for some players.”

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
BTW, many players think Corsi is absolute GARBAGE. If players view it with such disdain, why is it looked at with such reverence by non-players? Here is more to that point from the article:

If there is one stat I could take away, it would be Corsi,” Seth Jones said. “Because I don’t think it gives a full representation of the game. You can be caught in situations that are not your fault. You will have four shots against and you have nothing do with that situation.”

In some cases, Corsi is even a running joke on the ice.

“I’ve never heard any player say ‘Oh man, I had a great Corsi last night. I crushed it!’” Oshie said. “We’ll joke about it in practice or in the summer league. To me, I don’t think it means that much.”

There was also some outright disdain.

“I think Corsi is garbage. It’s kind of a waste of time,” Eberle said. “I know stats. I pay attention to team puck possession – you know which teams are good at it. But I also think plus/minus is a waste of time, too. There was one year I had nine empty-net minuses.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad