Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm talking about all the distractions available in Las Vegas impacting a visiting teams performance.
I agreed it could be a thing... possibly.
I thought it would be tough for the Knights themselves actually as guys from all over the league settled into a nice fun city.
Best for clubs visiting to keep time in town to a minimum.

I meant to say effect in the original post
Stupid autocorrect

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I agreed it could be a thing... possibly.
I thought it would be tough for the Knights themselves actually as guys from all over the league settled into a nice fun city.
Best for clubs visiting to keep time in town to a minimum.

I meant to say effect in the original post
Stupid autocorrect

The players living in Vegas are probably used to it all now.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Aside from the strip there are some nice neighbourhoods and lots of good local restaurants... I’d love to live there

There are way too many guns in that country for me to want to live anywhere south of the border. I do visit from time to time though.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
There are way too many guns in that country for me to want to live anywhere south of the border. I do visit from time to time though.
Yeah pretty interesting times.
Subban lost his shut out bud too bad.
Have a good evening

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There wasn't really correlation with corsi and winning last regular season and playoffs too. To see a relationship between corsi for % and winning may just be "motivated reasoning".

Like Jimby just said:

There wasn't really correlation with corsi and winning last regular season and playoffs too. To see a relationship between corsi for % and winning may just be "motivated reasoning".

You guys realize that we can empircally verify these kinds of statements right? Correlations between various metrics for the 16-17 regular season:

CorrelationR-value
CF% to Team Points0.563
xGF% to Team Points0.664
CF% to xGF%0.839
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Does that look like "no correlation" to you guys? There is a reasonably moderate correlation between CF% and points at the end of the regular season. The Correlation is even stronger between xGF% and points. CF% also correlates very strongly with xGF%.

Corsi is not perfect but it's pretty good. When I look at that table, I want my team to have a high CF% and xGF% as that would be a good indicator of the team being on the right track to score a lot of points and make into playoffs and beyond.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
BTW, many players think Corsi is absolute GARBAGE. If players view it with such disdain, why is it looked at with such reverence by non-players? Here is more to that point from the article:

What individual players think of Corsi or other advanced should be absolutely irrelevant.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
There are just too many exceptions to cause me to stress over whether the Jets are a good corsi team. I especially will not be stressing on a game by game basis which is what some have been doing so far this year.

A team can look like complete garbage and win the corsi battle in a game. The Oilers this season for example. Being a good corsi team is not a requirement for winning the Cup. Bruins won being 14th in the league for corsi and the Penguins did it being 17th. And players can be garbage and have great corsi. For the 2013-2014 season the Tangradi led the Jets in CF% despite having just 3 goals in 55 games. Second was Adam Pardy with zero goals in 60 games. Sure, odds are that being good in corsi will result in a team being higher in the rankings but the same can be said for other stats. Example of that would be wins by the team that scores first in a game. Very highly correlated with making the playoffs. I wont be stressing over that either and will still enjoy the wins where the Jets score second just like I will enjoy wins like the one against the Canes last night.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There are just too many exceptions to cause me to stress over whether the Jets are a good corsi team. I especially will not be stressing on a game by game basis which is what some have been doing so far this year.

A team can look like complete garbage and win the corsi battle in a game. The Oilers this season for example. Being a good corsi team is not a requirement for winning the Cup. Bruins won being 14th in the league for corsi and the Penguins did it being 17th. And players can be garbage and have great corsi. For the 2013-2014 season the Tangradi led the Jets in CF% despite having just 3 goals in 55 games. Second was Adam Pardy with zero goals in 60 games. Sure, odds are that being good in corsi will result in a team being higher in the rankings but the same can be said for other stats. Example of that would be wins by the team that scores first in a game. Very highly correlated with making the playoffs. I wont be stressing over that either and will still enjoy the wins where the Jets score second just like I will enjoy wins like the one against the Canes last night.

The Jets have been looking like complete garbage and losing the Corsi battle but winning 60% of the games. So neither looking good nor good Corsi means anything. I guess the only thing that matters is goaltending.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets have been looking like complete garbage and losing the Corsi battle but winning 60% of the games. So neither looking good nor good Corsi means anything. I guess the only thing that matters is goaltending.
Jets looked bad against Leafs and Flames, pretty good vs. Oilers and Canucks, and okay against the Canes. They had good goaltending in 3 games.
3W 2L

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Anyone think that a coaching chance is a few weeks away if the Rangers continue their losing ways

The Rangers have mortgaged their future for so long that their present woes were predictable. A.V. may be a factor, but not the major factor at this point in the season. A coaching change will not help them, but it seems to be in the wind.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don’t think we have dominated full games just stretches here and there.
Scores are what matter .
Having said that it would be nice if we could dominate the majority of a game and win big.
As they say one at a time...,

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

This is basically what I was saying all preseason. Glad you came around finally. Now don't you feel silly for wasting all that time on Hendricks deployment? :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets looked bad against Leafs and Flames, pretty good vs. Oilers and Canucks, and okay against the Canes. They had good goaltending in 3 games.
3W 2L

I disagree. They looked terrible against both the Canucks and the Canes, IMO. They looked OK against the struggling Oilers but were held in by goaltending in the first half.

Wins are wins and I'll take the 2 points but they have not 'looked good' except for a few short stretches. They started well against the Leafs but collapsed when the pucks started going in their net late in the first.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is basically what I was saying all preseason. Glad you came around finally. Now don't you feel silly for wasting all that time on Hendricks deployment? :sarcasm:

:laugh: Maybe.
Or maybe the same kind of thinking that lead to the Hendricks signing is leading to poor play by the whole team - except Bucky and Ehlers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I disagree. They looked terrible against both the Canucks and the Canes, IMO. They looked OK against the struggling Oilers but were held in by goaltending in the first half.

Wins are wins and I'll take the 2 points but they have not 'looked good' except for a few short stretches. They started well against the Leafs but collapsed when the pucks started going in their net late in the first.

I don't think they gave up much in terms of quality chances against the Canes or Canucks. That is an important improvement for this team. They have some glitches, but if this team can clamp down defensively, they'll be fine with all the scoring they have.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think they gave up much in terms of quality chances against the Canes or Canucks. That is an important improvement for this team. They have some glitches, but if this team can clamp down defensively, they'll be fine with all the scoring they have.

Looking at 'quality chances' that could be true.
They were outshot 32-20 by the Canucks. With .9375 goaltending they won by 1 goal + an EN. That did not 'look good'. In fact it looked ******* awful. It was the Canucks fcs. It also did not produce good Corsi.
They were outshot 29-21 by the Canes. With .966 goaltending they won by 1 goal. That did not 'look good'. In fact it looked ******* awful. It also did not produce good Corsi. We were hemmed in our own end much of that game.

What I saw. The instant a Jet touched the puck he was being checked. The Canes were giving us no time or space. The Jets had no answer for that. Conversely, when a Cane touched the puck the nearest Jet would retreat to some designated position. This is 5v5, BTW. It looked just like the passive PK.

So far this year we have 'looked good' for the first 15 min (more or less) against the Leafs and for the 2nd period against the Oil. I didn't watch the Flames game. That's it. Out of 5 games. Are we doing a better job of keeping the shots against from the low danger areas the last 3 games? Could be, I can't say.

A lot of the shots we are giving up are on the PK and they look pretty dangerous to me. We are still taking too many penalties and our special teams are still bad, especially the PK.

In the pre-season the PP featured a lot of good puck movement and was scoring. In the real season opponents are being aggressive in breaking up that puck movement and we are not scoring. The last 2 penalties against us in the Carolina game our PK was a little more aggressive and we killed them off. But I don't think it was systemic. I expect passive box again next game.

The fact is that we have not played well so far this season apart from Bucky. We haven't shown an offense that will win us many games. We out-shot the Leafs in the first period of the year and we out-shot the Oil by a narrow margin. Otherwise we have been consistently out-shot If we continue to play the same way, we are not likely to win as many as we lose unless Bucky can maintain a .937 sv%.

They look to me to be trying to play more defensively. It isn't working. It is only goaltending that is saving us. It has succeeded in squelching our offense though.

Reactions: JetsFan815

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Parise ain't no spring chicken. Wild kind of remind me of Montreal. Might be a playoff team but the ceiling for that group just isn't very high. I think Suters contract goes until 2047 too, kind of like Prices contract.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
HockeyWriters story.
Overtime With BSC: Boston Bruins 3 Worst Contracts
https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-3-worst-contracts/

I thought this paragraph was interesting: My bold
If any team is familiar with a bad salary cap situation, it’s the Boston Bruins. When Don Sweeney took over as the general manager of the team, part of his job was cleaning up after former Bruins’ general manager Peter Chiarelli who, to his credit built a Stanley Cup team in Boston but simply couldn’t manage the cap when it came down to it.

Looks to me like Chiarelli is doing it again. When McD's contract kicks in next year they will already be ~4.5 mil over this year's cap. They have little coming off and several players who will need raises. If the cap increase is 'only' 2-3 mil they won't be able to get under except by trading a big contract. Already in cap hell and they haven't won anything yet.

The contract with McDavid is huge - but it should be. The Draisaitl contract is terrible. Should have been more like 8y x 6m, IMO. But the real killer contract is Kris Russell at 4x4 .... with an NMC! Russell makes Stu look good.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Reading a thread on Canucks board and Burmistrov is playing 2nd line center for them. Good God think of the children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad