Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
looks like 5-8 in the West will go down to the wire.
still nuts that Stastny was traded by StL and they're vying for a playoff spot

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
looks like 5-8 in the West will go down to the wire.
still nuts that Stastny was traded by StL and they're vying for a playoff spot
Especially considering the skid they went on around the deadline. On March 9th, they had lost 9 of their last 10 games, and looked to be out of the race. They have won 7 of their last 8 since.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Especially considering the skid they went on around the deadline. On March 9th, they had lost 9 of their last 10 games, and looked to be out of the race. They have won 7 of their last 8 since.

They have really just been goalieing the opposition lately. Where was this Allen all season?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They have really just been goalieing the opposition lately. Where was this Allen all season?
Allen has never been a very consistent goaltender, IIRC. If he goes into the playoffs hot, I can see the Blues putting up a fight against the Preds, or beating the Golden Knights.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Allen has never been a very consistent goaltender, IIRC. If he goes into the playoffs hot, I can see the Blues putting up a fight against the Preds, or beating the Golden Knights.

He was struggling mid season. The Blues played Carter Hutton a lot because of it.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Really hope the Sabres don't win a lottery spot. Just sayin'.

Meh, While they're not high on my list of favoured winners, I wouldn't be sour about it. Chicago or EDM, now that would be annoying.

I'd love to see Vancouver or Arizona win it this year. Even Ottawa wouldn't be too bad.

Actually the best scenario would be the Islanders with the Flames pick. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oilers were up 1 late in the 3rd and they just collapsed late in the 3rd, gave up a tying goal and then lost in OT. Their play late in the 3rd while up 1 was so bad it was almost comical. If they didn't have McDavid, they would be horrendous despite having the following picks other than McDavid since 2007.

What a gong show!

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Oilers were up 1 late in the 3rd and they just collapsed late in the 3rd, gave up a tying goal and then lost in OT. Their play late in the 3rd while up 1 was so bad it was almost comical. If they didn't have McDavid, they would be horrendous despite having the following picks other than McDavid since 2007.

What a gong show!
Wonder who were the best picks on those spots now. Besides the MC David pick.

I bet those 9 players would form.a stack team. Though this will be a hindsight now.
But nice to know

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

What a gong show!
Still can't believe how little they got for Hall and Eberle. Rentals fetched better returns then the Eberle trade.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Still can't believe how little they got for Hall and Eberle. Rentals fetched better returns then the Eberle trade.

You can tell from the quotes that management released, that they thought they were getting outlier Strome, not regular Strome. Even then, like, WTF.

I kinda liked Hall for Larsson at the time, but they needed a solid plus on the other side of that one.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
2005 #2 Bobby Ryan
2006 #6 Derrick Brassard
2009 #3 Matt Duchene

2008 #3 Zach Bogosian
2009 #4 Evander Kane

2010 #3 Erik Gudbranson
2012 #8 Derrick Pouliot

2011 #4 Adam Larsson
2011 #5 Ryan Strome
2012 #4 Griffin Reinhart

theorem: if your team recently traded for multiple top10 picks, your team sucks and needs new management
corollary: the kyle turris and ryan johansen combination doesn't count because two top10 picks were going the other way. this is the only exception. also, turris was 28 years old.

Reactions: Evil Little

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To be fair, Hall (1) and Eberle (22) are two of those pics. Solid value.

They turned those two into Larsson and Strome. Yeesh.

They've drafted poorly outside of their first picks too. But what is really startling is looking at the players they drafted who actually became NHL players.

In '13 they drafted Nurse. They have kept him and so far, all of their first picked players since. But before that going all the way back to '03, every single player who became an NHL regular has been traded away. Mostly they were traded for very little before they hit their stride. Actually, the pattern goes back much further but that is as far back as I looked in detail. :laugh: Its incredible!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can tell from the quotes that management released, that they thought they were getting outlier Strome, not regular Strome. Even then, like, WTF.

I kinda liked Hall for Larsson at the time, but they needed a solid plus on the other side of that one.

Agree about Hall-Larsson. The plus had to be more than a throw in 3rd. They needed a real add for the value.

The Eberle trade was pretty bad. Then there is Griff Reinhart. What made that one so bad was not that Griff was an expensive bust. That is going to happen sometimes. It is that the whole world - except Chia - knew for at least a year already at the time of the trade, that Reinhart was a bust.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree about Hall-Larsson. The plus had to be more than a throw in 3rd. They needed a real add for the value.

The Eberle trade was pretty bad. Then there is Griff Reinhart. What made that one so bad was not that Griff was an expensive bust. That is going to happen sometimes. It is that the whole world - except Chia - knew for at least a year already at the time of the trade, that Reinhart was a bust.
That team's been terribly mismanaged for years. It's incredible. Long may it continue... ;)

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
2005 #2 Bobby Ryan
2006 #6 Derrick Brassard
2009 #3 Matt Duchene

2008 #3 Zach Bogosian
2009 #4 Evander Kane

2010 #3 Erik Gudbranson
2012 #8 Derrick Pouliot

2011 #4 Adam Larsson
2011 #5 Ryan Strome
2012 #4 Griffin Reinhart

theorem: if your team recently traded for multiple top10 picks, your team sucks and needs new management
corollary: the kyle turris and ryan johansen combination doesn't count because two top10 picks were going the other way. this is the only exception. also, turris was 28 years old.

Ladd
Wheeler

?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad