Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
McKinnon faded so badly near the end of the season right around the voting period I was really surprised he still got so many votes and finished 2nd.

I dunno about you, but 22 points in March for MacKinnon and 20 for Kopitar in March....really doesn't sound like MacKinnon faded

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Sharp dressed man. Kopi cleans up pretty good.

DgLoofHUcAAK9r_.jpg

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The sweetest thing is knowing the Oilers traded an MVP winger for a #2 defenseman (and even that may be generous). Easily one of the worst trades in the NHL in recent memory. Could you imagine McDavid/Hall/Draisaitl trio.

They had that, along with Eberle who they discarded for Strome. Another brilliant move by Chia.

He’s been en fuego the last couple years with his trades.

It’s great that the Oilers are still shitty.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't have a problem with Hall winning, but it should have been a lot closer. Only 11 first place votes is ridiculous.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Selke winning defense and 92 points seems pretty damn valuable to me. Doughty got beat because too many people didn't have him in their top two, which is ridiculous

If my math is correct he was left out of some ballots altogether again as well.

Hall had a fantastic season, it would have been nice to see Kopitar win it, he may never have another season like this and I think it will take a lot for Hall or Mac to surpass his career accomplishments, but a case could be made for any of the guys.

Yeah I don't have beef really with the final 1-2-3 results, but Kopi only getting 11 1st place votes is pretty appalling, spread should NOT have been that big. Underappreciated season, and the voting is emblematic of it, even though I'm definitely happy for Hall AND MacKinnon.

Reactions: kingsfan28

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
With McDavid's team missing the playoffs, it basically became a race between great seasons on teams that sucked the year before. Kind of like how the Adams goes to the coach that resided over the biggest turnaround from the year prior.

Devils had 70 points in 2017. Colorado had 48 (!) Kings had 86.

Even though we know better, the Kings still have a bit of cache around the league since they won Cups with these core guys, a core that includes the Jennings winner and a guy that just missed out on a 2nd Norris. Kopitar, in my opinion, was the better player than Hall/MacKinnon simply due to all the additional things he does on top of the 92 points. He trashed MacKinnon head-to-head and I'm going to go ahead and take the one less point Kopitar had than Hall when I take in to account that Kopitar is also the Selke winner.

The Kings weren't a great story compared to NJ and especially Colorado. I'm actually surprised he was a finalist and, looking at the votes, he just eked ahead of Giroux. In the end, great to see him snag another Selke. All we can hope for is a duplication of this past season and not the alternating good/bad we've had since 2014.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
I bet Kopitar cares a lot less about those individual awards. He cannot hear the announcements anyway with his two Stanley cup rings plugingp his ears...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad