Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
At least Gaborik propelled the Kings to a Cup to earn his long-term contract v. propelling a team to a 2nd round exit. Love that San Jose gives up the 1st round pick now. I really liked the trade for them when it was just the 2nd: now I really like the trade for Buffalo and the Pacific Division.

Wilson really playing with fire with that 7-year term, unless these guys know there is another compliance buy-out period coming down the pike at some point.

I think a lot of GMs are banking on that again.

Kane has never worked out long term anywhere he has played. I doubt he’ll work out in SJ.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
At least Gaborik propelled the Kings to a Cup to earn his long-term contract v. propelling a team to a 2nd round exit. Love that San Jose gives up the 1st round pick now. I really liked the trade for them when it was just the 2nd: now I really like the trade for Buffalo and the Pacific Division.

Wilson really playing with fire with that 7-year term, unless these guys know there is another compliance buy-out period coming down the pike at some point.

Contact year, gets his money, puts up his usual numbers. 7/7 mil a year for a guy who has yet to play an entire season, good luck with that SJ.

Kane just set the market for 50 point a year guys.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
$7 million for 7 years? oof.

I think this means San Jose is out of the Tavares frenzy. Sure, they have $12.5 million on a $80 million cap left to sign Hertl and Thornton. But more importantly, other than Kane, every single forward on their nhl roster will need a new contract in the next year or two.

Ouch.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I still don't understand how Doug Wilson is held in such high esteem. Yes, Dean blew it here by being too loyal and not treating players more as assets than sons, but Dean pretty much kicked the crap out of Wilson in his tenure with the Kings.

I don't like long term deals, and history shows Kane will become less productive and more of a problem as his time with San Jose progresses. Now, the upside for San Jose in this deal is maybe, just maybe Kane is gaining in emotional maturity. I don't like the 7 years, but he will be 33 years of age when the deal expires, not past 35 years of age. Bottom line it's still too much for too long for Kane.

I am still looking forward to the owners attacking these long term deals in the next CBA negotiation. Say it with with me, you know you want to, LOCK OUT! LOCK OUT! :)

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kane has only reached the 50 point mark once in his entire career.

Kyle Turris, who was due to become a UFA, just signed with Nashville for 6 years at 6M. Turris is two years older. But he's a center and has hit the 60 point mark, and the 50 point mark multiple times.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Kyle Turris, who was due to become a UFA, just signed with Nashville for 6 years at 6M. Turris is two years older. But he's a center and has hit the 60 point mark, and the 50 point mark multiple times.
Good comparison of value.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Actually it would be twice in career. He had 50+ combined pts this year for Buf/SJ

Still terrible deal for Sharks

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Sharks re-sign Evander Kane, 7 years at $7M per year.

A-d_2YECAAA1NPC.jpg

HNYmfeZ.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kane contract is awful, chief because he's mostly only shows up for contract years. If those were 7 separate 7 million deals, it would be gold!

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I imagine San Jose had to overpay to make sure Kane didn't test free agency. Wasn't the trade based on the condition they re-signed him? So they lose their first next season?

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I imagine San Jose had to overpay to make sure Kane didn't test free agency. Wasn't the trade based on the condition they re-signed him? So they lose their first next season?

Going back the other way is a conditional 2019 first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 plus prospect.

The 2019 first-round pick only becomes a first-round pick should Kane sign an extension with the Sharks. If Kane is purely a rental, the first becomes a second.

On the conditional 4th, it’s a 2019 4th-round pick that San Jose could push off a year to a 2020 3rd-round pick.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
William Karlsson has to be drooling after reading about that deal, I know he's an RFA, so the leverage isn't the same, but he's younger and he just had a far better season than Kane has ever had.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
William Karlsson has to be drooling after reading about that deal, I know he's an RFA, so the leverage isn't the same, but he's younger and he just had a far better season than Kane has ever had.
Karlsson is 25 years of age. This is his first season where he performed to this level. I think Vegas should offer him a bridge contract for the next 2-3 seasons.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Karlsson is 25 years of age. This is his first season where he performed to this level. I think Vegas should offer him a bridge contract for the next 2-3 seasons.

Agreed, but that's gonna be a battle.

I don't foresee Karlsson putting up those shooting percentage numbers again, I think while he's very good and versatile, he's not a perennial 40 goal scorer

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Agreed, but that's gonna be a battle.

I don't foresee Karlsson putting up those shooting percentage numbers again, I think while he's very good and versatile, he's not a perennial 40 goal scorer

This.

I'm sure they want to offer him that, but he (and his agent) have to know that this season could be an outlier and maybe his only real bite at the apple.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Wilson was able to keep his core players under really good contracts for a long time, but recently this is coming back to bite him in the ass.

Kane prevents the Sharks from being competitive with this contract. For next season, they only had 14 million in cap space available to sign Thornton, Hertl, and Tierney, as well as Kane. Now they only have 7.

Even assuming you give Hertl a bridge contract like 3.5, and Tierney maybe like 1-2, you still basically just told Thornton he's out of SJ with this. Not only that, but you also now have 0 chance of signing Tavares.

Also, you just caused inflation on all of your future contracts. Are you going to go to Couture and Pavelski and say that they should be paid as much as Kane? For all that they've done for the Sharks?

You've guaranteed the best contract you can ask from both of those guys is 8x8, and they will probably be angling for more.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is why it's so important to build from within and keeping youth.

And it's also why I feel trading Carter would be a big mistake. Again, replacing him will either be too costly or it would be an incompetent player. Kane getting 7 × 7 is unreal

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This is why it's so important to build from within and keeping youth.

And it's also why I feel trading Carter would be a big mistake. Again, replacing him will either be too costly or it would be an incompetent player. Kane getting 7 × 7 is unreal

The idea behind trading Carter isn't to "replace" him for next season, the idea is that they aren't contending anyways with him so try to get as many bites of the apple on future, cost-controlled players before his value diminishes further.

Very true that those futures could be trash but, if you aren't going to win anyways, what does it matter?

That's the idea, anyways. If you think they are close to being a legit contender, then it makes sense to keep him.

Reactions: KINGS17

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kane's contract isn't THAT bad. He'll be aged 27 to 33 for the duration of deal and should score at a 20-30 goal pace each season. 34 is the age at which players usually drop off.

SJ didn't have many other options, and rarely do you get decent free agents who are this young (he's 26 right now). I also think the character stuff is exaggerated.

7M sounds like a lot, but the cap is probably going to be 80M+ this coming season and ~7M will soon be the normal price for a top 6 winger UFA in their twenties.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm sure they want to offer him that, but he (and his agent) have to know that this season could be an outlier and maybe his only real bite at the apple.
Unless Karlsson gets an offer sheet, he doesn't have any choice but to deal with Vegas or sit. He is a restricted free agent. A 2-3 year deal is likely what is most fair for both sides. If Karlsson keeps performing well he will get another shot on his next contract. So far, he has had one great season, and several not so great seasons.

If Karlsson gets an inflated offer sheet, Vegas might be wise to take the picks then use Karlsson's money to go shopping on the UFA market. I don't think there is an offer sheet coming for Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad