Around The League - 15-16 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1957589

I thought it was a goal, Aren't they suppose to install Eagle Eye to figure out if the pucks went in next year? If you watch a replay, the ref points as if the puck went into the net then a couple seconds later he waves it off. I would just hate for that to happen to the Jets with the race being so tight.

Was a big game for the Oil, It could have put them 1 point behind for 3rd

No - I didn't think that arm was pointing - he was skating in to look?

Sure looks like a point to me. slow it down to .25 speed.

I hate the Central Division.

E Kane out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain.
Bogosian still injured.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Re the goal that wasn't counted - that & the video reviews where they need concrete/irrefutable proof to overturn the original call is so maddening. It seems clear to me from looking at what you can see of the puck before it disappears under his glove that the puck was already over the line (or within mms of being so) when it is last visible.

But what is intuitively obvious is that it will have travelled further before it was corralled in or under his glove. That & the fact that they could put some sort of magnetic strip on a puck that would give them 100% proof whether it crossed the goal-line or not IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO. The latter solution would then make it irrelevant whether the glove obscured the camera angle or not.

Instead, they insist on leaving the uncertainty in the equation! Its the same as the argument about why a back umpire is needed in baseball to call balls & strikes when they could do it with 100% accuracy using today's technology & the TV box. For some reason, we want to keep uncertainty as a factor in sports!!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Re the goal that wasn't counted - that & the video reviews where they need concrete/irrefutable proof to overturn the original call is so maddening. It seems clear to me from looking at what you can see of the puck before it disappears under his glove that the puck was already over the line (or within mms of being so) when it is last visible.

But what is intuitively obvious is that it will have travelled further before it was corralled in or under his glove. That & the fact that they could put some sort of magnetic strip on a puck that would give them 100% proof whether it crossed the goal-line or not IF THEY REALLY WANTED TO. The latter solution would then make it irrelevant whether the glove obscured the camera angle or not.

Instead, they insist on leaving the uncertainty in the equation! Its the same as the argument about why a back umpire is needed in baseball to call balls & strikes when they could do it with 100% accuracy using today's technology & the TV box. For some reason, we want to keep uncertainty as a factor in sports!!

It is always a question of how far do we want to go. We could have the games played by machines that never make mistakes too.

I'm sure we will have goal detection within a very few years. In the meantime I'm just glad that call was against us.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it was a save.

Puck may have been grabbing line.

Reminds me of that SJS save in OT in the playoffs a few years back.

Best save of all time IMO

Over the line, 100% goal:

CSN0UICVEAAtqo0.jpg

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I wonder if Kane pushes his body too hard in training, or conversely if he doesn't train hard enough for the level he pushes during actual games.

That said, this injury seems pretty unlucky and could happen to any player (check along the boards, knee twists). But given his history you can't help but wonder.

Probably tough for the Sabres fanbase to swallow reflecting on the trade right now with both their trade pieces (Bogo / Kane) getting injured so early on in the season. That said, still lots of time in their contracts for either of them to make conclusions on who "won" the trade, or whether it ended up being a bust for them.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
See the Free Press today or THN tomorrow re: Kane. I'm so glad we got rid of that whiner.

Just read it... wow. Is he really claiming racism? I'm not doubting there's racism in the NHL, but honestly to blame the media circus he created around himself on racism is terribly deflective and misrepresentation of how he carried himself off-ice - I think I might have even less respect for him now if his comments are properly attributed.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Puck looks off the ice there, also needless to say, we're gunna need better .jpg there :laugh:

Well I took that with my iPhone right from my TV's rendering of the 720p HD Sportsnet broadcast last night. Maybe the NHL has a better angle/quality? I think the puck is right on the ice - it's more clear if you see it in motion, but I just took the single image.

Apparently the NHL only uses the overhead view to judge goals though, so this isn't evidence of anything!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just read it... wow. Is he really claiming racism? I'm not doubting there's racism in the NHL, but honestly to blame the media circus he created around himself on racism is terribly deflective and misrepresentation of how he carried himself off-ice - I think I might have even less respect for him now if his comments are properly attributed.

He played the race card before. I guess doing pushups with stacks of money on your back is a cultural thing. Reacting negatively to normal behaviour of another culture is racist. Right? :shakehead

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He played the race card before. I guess doing pushups with stacks of money on your back is a cultural thing. Reacting negatively to normal behaviour of another culture is racist. Right? :shakehead

When you're not even in the Top 5 players on the Winnipeg Jets and you model your persona after Floyd Mayweather, you might be shocked to discover that people are less than impressed with the act.

What it really boils down to is that everyone in Winnipeg could sense you wanted the **** out of here from almost day one. And one thing a Winnipegger can't abide is rejection of his/her hometown. It's for that reason that Winnipeggers still **** on Tkachuk to this day even though he's back here pretty frequently, yet worship Selanne even though he's been back to Winnipeg precisely as many times as the Ducks played here since Jets returned...

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

If only we had another black player on the Jets, possibly a fan fav, we could easily see if Kane was disliked due to racism, or his general dickish behaviour. :sarcasm:

Tongue in cheek removed - Kane has been a pretty hot topic around here in the past. I think it all comes down to one's opinion on flaunting one's money and "hollywood" lifestyle.

Some folks think it's irrelevant, and only care about on-ice play. Others think it's cool. And others find it disrespectful and egotistical.

I'm in that last camp. But I get the differing views. I don't think anyone is right or wrong, and so the conversation just goes around in circles.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
For me regarding Kane, I didn't care at all about the tweets flashing his lifestyle, the moneyphone, haircuts, his penchant for Floyd Mayweather, etc...none of that bothered me at all.

What bothered was when he was playing games with whether he wanted to be here or not, not answering questions truthfully, all the hint-hint BS, favoriting the tweet about a trade to Philly, that was the crap I could do without.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well I took that with my iPhone right from my TV's rendering of the 720p HD Sportsnet broadcast last night. Maybe the NHL has a better angle/quality? I think the puck is right on the ice - it's more clear if you see it in motion, but I just took the single image.

Apparently the NHL only uses the overhead view to judge goals though, so this isn't evidence of anything!

It isn't admissible evidence. That was determined to be the most reliable. The camera is a 2d view of a 3d event. Any angle not square to the event is liable to be misleading. Not that it will always be misleading but it will be sometimes. It always might be. Therefore use the one most reliable angle. Having made that decision they are bound to stand by it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When you're not even in the Top 5 players on the Winnipeg Jets and you model your persona after Floyd Mayweather, you might be shocked to discover that people are less than impressed with the act.

What it really boils down to is that everyone in Winnipeg could sense you wanted the **** out of here from almost day one. And one thing a Winnipegger can't abide is rejection of his/her hometown. It's for that reason that Winnipeggers still **** on Tkachuk to this day even though he's back here pretty frequently, yet worship Selanne even though he's been back to Winnipeg precisely as many times as the Ducks played here since Jets returned...

Yup.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
It isn't admissible evidence. That was determined to be the most reliable. The camera is a 2d view of a 3d event. Any angle not square to the event is liable to be misleading. Not that it will always be misleading but it will be sometimes. It always might be. Therefore use the one most reliable angle. Having made that decision they are bound to stand by it.
This could all be solved with a goal line technology, similar to soccer. Put a chip in the puck, and have sensors that measure if it crosses the line - simplifies calls that are both too hard to make on the ice and difficult without rapid-frame rate cameras.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
This could all be solved with a goal line technology, similar to soccer. Put a chip in the puck, and have sensors that measure if it crosses the line - simplifies calls that are both too hard to make on the ice and difficult without rapid-frame rate cameras.

Do we assume the puck is round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad