GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Lottery - May 7th 2024, 6:30 P.M ET

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Fairly sure with all the leaks the lottery is done in the morning before all the press shows up, then they just act like it’s being done live for the suspense.

Either that or the league really is rigged and we’re wasting our lives worrying over everything.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Fairly sure with all the leaks the lottery is done in the morning before all the press shows up, then they just act like it’s being done live for the suspense.
You can watch the videos of the drawing, they’re done fairly close to when it airs on TV. The people who view the drawing aren’t allowed to leave the room and have their phones taken away until after it airs.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
You can watch the videos of the drawing, they’re done fairly close to when it airs on TV. The people who view the drawing aren’t allowed to leave the room and have their phones taken away until after it airs.

It’s gotten out somehow each of the last two years. Weekes messed up last year during the broadcast and the year before that one of our posters had the results the morning of.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
"Weird HF thinking" lol the guy is a very solid defensive defenseman still to this day (and only 31 years old if you can believe it). There are way worse flameouts that have been picked that high compared to Larsson.

Yeah, he didn't amount to the expectations that were put upon him in his draft year, but he eats minutes, rarely misses a game, plays rock solid defense and we traded him straight up for Taylor Hall so we cashed out at the right time. I'll give you that his offensive skills were underwhelming given what scouts proclaimed he could become, but he's absolutely a strong player in his own end. Probably a guy we wouldn't mind having on our blueline right now all things considered. Maybe not in Lindy's system though. :laugh:
all those things can be true and he can still be a bust according to his draft position. being a bust doesnt mean you aren't an nhl player.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It’s gotten out somehow each of the last two years. Weekes messed up last year during the broadcast and the year before that one of our posters had the results the morning of.
Not aware of what you’re talking about the year before but Weekes would expectedly have known the results before the broadcast. The broadcasters aren’t learning the results live, everyone knows that.

No clue about the year before thing but I’d have to see it to believe it

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It’s never been leaked far in advance, I believe. The longest, I think, was when it was shown on the international broadcast as it was brought out from the drawing to the main floor. They didn’t cut away for commercials on the international feed.

Those people aren’t getting sequestered for half a day for the drawing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Bucci is a dunce

who knows if its real, but if it wasnt he could just reply and say "ITS JUST A TEST" instead of deleting

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

did Buccigross leak the results?

Because he’s an idiot. (I assume it’s a test, but it’s also a possible result even if it’s a test, so dumb move considering the conspiracy theories.)

IMG_6615.jpeg

Reactions: My3Sons and Mgd31

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Drawing is apparently normally around 5 PM from past drawings, according to my brother who is a good rememberer. :lol:

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Bucci is a dunce

who knows if its real, but if it wasnt he could just reply and say "ITS JUST A TEST" instead of deleting
It obviously wasn’t real and he deleted because of how people were reaction and basically did what you said by doing a follow up tweet saying they are just rehearsing.

Obviously didn’t expect people to think it was the real results or an unintentional leak but calling him a dunce over that is ridiculously uneccessary

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Our own JR Fischer had it. Can’t quote as the thread is locked so here’s some screenies. No times on the posts either so take it for what you will.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.png
    IMG_0331.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0330.png
    IMG_0330.png
    215.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0329.png
    IMG_0329.png
    201 KB · Views: 2

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Our own JR Fischer had it. Can’t quote as the thread is locked so here’s some screenies. No times on the posts either so take it for what you will.
He literally leaked it right before it happened by the looks of it. Not earlier in the day. Went back to the thread and people were already watching when he said they won. The actual draw happens right before the show (apparently at 5:30)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A lot of people can't differentiate between "bust" and "disappointment"

Bust (to me at least) means you don't even have a legitimate NHL career.

Disappointment means you can still have a long NHL career and be a solid player, but maybe you didn't live up to expectations.

For example- Pavel Zacha is not a bust. He has made a nice career for himself. He is a major disappointment though.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This is where it becomes more semantics than anything. I think of Duncan Siemens as a bust. I think of Griffin Reinhart as a bust. I can't put Adam Larsson in that same category.
Ya if your definition of a bust is just that they didn’t reach their potential than there’s a whole heck of a lot of busts every year.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
He literally leaked it right before it happened by the looks of it. Not earlier in the day. Went back to the thread and people were already watching when he said they won. The actual draw happens right before the show (apparently at 5:30)

My memory tells me it was earlier, and he did also mention it was strange there were no odds for the lottery that day. As you can see there are no times so it is what it is.

I could be mistaken.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm sure some will argue Brodin has been better, but looking at their overall statistics, him and Larsson have had remarkably similar careers.

Dougie obviously stands above them both given his value on the offensive side.

Brodin’s better, I have no problem arguing that, he’s one of the premier shutdown defenders in the NHL while Larsson is just solid. That top 10 is strong.

Larsson was faller because he had an incredible season in 09-10, which put him in contention for 1OA, and then had a worse 10–11 season that exposed more of his faults.

A December 2010 ESPN article:
IMG_6616.jpeg

link
It would seem like a player consistently ranked among the top three prospects for 2011 and considered by some to be the top talent in the coming NHL draft would not be overly concerned with damage control heading into the World Junior Championships.

But for Swedish D Adam Larsson, that could be precisely the case during the U-20 tournament in Buffalo.

Early this summer, some of the scouts I spoke to pegged Larsson as their No. 1 overall; with almost all the others he was a solid No. 2, with Sean Couturierin the top slot. (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins's breakout at the Ivan Hlinka was still a couple of weeks off.)

With an impressive portfolio of past work, scouts have been cutting the high-ceiling D-man some slack, but since hitting that high mark, his performance has been slipping.

Larsson didn't overly impress during a series of exhibition games at Lake Placid in August. He looked sluggish and even a little bored against others in his age group -- he had, after all, played at age 17 in the Swedish elite league against full-grown pros. Still, that was mid-summer, so he got a pass on that.

Back in Sweden, Larsson's numbers in the SEL have taken a tumble this season. But scouts attributed the dip to limited power-play time, giving him another pass.

But at some point he needs to stop the skid if he wants to stay atop the draft pool, and it's doubtful he'll get yet another pass at the WJC. Judging by his early showing, though, it looks like he might need one.

I caught Sweden in a pre-tournament exhibition against Canada in Toronto last week. If you were assigning grades to Larsson he did no better than a C-minus and might have earned an outright F if you were judging him by the standards of summertime's expectations.

Larsson's game was very passive and his judgments in play suspect. He took a penalty just out of petulance and frustration. His physical play -- which given his size is an aspect of the game he should thrive on at the under-20 level -- was nonexistent. He had the benefit of some very good talent around him but really didn't make any use of it. It wasn't the case of an overmatched team -- the Swedes took the play to Canada for long stretches -- but Larsson didn't have much to do with that. He did a lot more bleeding than punching.

I bounced my take off one veteran hockey man and he didn't disagree. Our consensus: At this point in his development Larsson allows play to come to him, an approach and work rate that serves him well on the big sheets in the SEL but works to his disadvantage in high-energy games on 200 x 80 rinks. There will be games in the under-20 tournament -- against other European teams -- where that won't get exposed, but against hard Canadian forechecking this shortcoming was painfully clear. If Sweden meets the U.S. it will likely be more of the same.

It's the flat energy level that seems to be dogging the D-man the most. One industry take from a Western Conference scout: "[Larsson] doesn't play with an urgency. It's a level of play that he should dominate but he waits for the game to come to him."

In the summer, the conventional wisdom was that Larsson was ahead of Tampa Bay Lightning D Victor Hedman at the same stage. Maybe some in the scouting trade still hold that opinion, but it's far from a consensus. Said the same scout: "Hedman's high end is higher than Larsson's, just because of Hedman's size. Larsson's ability back on the point is ahead of Hedman's but because of Hedman's size it just might take him a little longer. You can't say for sure that Hedman won't develop into a point man who's as good as Larsson in five years' time."

I'm not dismissing Larsson out of hand here. He almost certainly will play better in tournament games in Buffalo -- hard to see him being worse. Larsson has all kinds of game and he will be a top-two defenseman in the NHL by his mid-20s. The idea that he will be an All-Star and franchise defenseman along the lines of Drew Doughty ... well, those expectations aren't just unfair, they're counterproductive.

Larsson will have a learning curve to be sure -- just as Hedman is on right now. The team that drafts him has to know that going in.

Between the poor play and the positional bias we saw at last season's draft, Larsson is likely out of the top slot -- but he could fall out of the top three. The buzz is that Gabriel Landeskog has at least played himself into the conversation for the top three and, if nothing else, closed ground on Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins and Larsson.

Landeskog's game against Canada last week was a lot more impressive than Larsson's and, for that matter, Couturier's, who had one memorable shift, a near-miss for a goal in the second period, but otherwise struggled to get his game going. "Didn't [urinate] a drop," was one scout's crude report on Couturier's game. (Another scout was somewhat more generous: "Couturier is all about projection at this point. He's that big. He skates that well. He's creative. He's going to be fine.")

And the fact is the same scout wouldn't dismiss the idea that Landeskog has a chance to be the best player coming out of this draft five years from now. If Larsson wants to keep up, he'll need to show better in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad