Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For years, I've been sharing my NFL playoffs rooting interests with friends, mainly so they can understand when I get pissed about the NFL playoffs, and, more recently, as information for any betting that may go on. Typically, my rooting interests and the teams that should be bet on are in opposite alignment, if you follow.

So here's the same for the NHL's 2024 playoff season - to be clear, my heartache can be your financial gain. Also to be clear, these are not predictions of who I think will win, just who I hope will win.

Genuine rooting interest
Leafs
Preds

Genuine overall positive feeling for
Canes
Stars

Neutral but I could probably get behind
Jets

Neutral but I'd rather not
Canucks

Neutral to the franchise and they have a couple guys I like but they have a bunch of guys I don't like but Goalie Bob plays for them so I could get behind but only as a last resort
Panthers

Franchise I generally have positive feelings for but I hate/am jealous of their success and those fans were gifted a Cup winner 30 years ago or whatever so
Avs

I don't hate them and I have friends who are fans but I'm getting sick of them and I still have a "screw them" sense from 2019 especially that overrated ass Stamkos
Lightning

Overall neutral I guess but probably a little negative towards and they have some guys I really hate but mostly it's just the Jackets should at least be able to figure out how to be as good as these guys and I hate them because we can't
Isles

Franchises I genuinely dislike and will never root for under any circumstances
Bruins
Rangers
Kings
Oilers

Franchise I genuinely dislike even more actively than those
Caps

f*** those guys
Knights

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
For years, I've been sharing my NFL playoffs rooting interests with friends, mainly so they can understand when I get pissed about the NFL playoffs, and, more recently, as information for any betting that may go on. Typically, my rooting interests and the teams that should be bet on are in opposite alignment, if you follow.

So here's the same for the NHL's 2024 playoff season - to be clear, my heartache can be your financial gain. Also to be clear, these are not predictions of who I think will win, just who I hope will win.

Genuine rooting interest
Leafs
Preds

Genuine overall positive feeling for
Canes
Stars

Jets

Neutral but I'd rather not
Canucks

Neutral to the franchise and they have a couple guys I like but they have a bunch of guys I don't like but Goalie Bob plays for them so I could get behind but only as a last resort
Panthers

Franchise I generally have positive feelings for but I hate/am jealous of their success and those fans were gifted a Cup winner 30 years ago or whatever so
Avs

I don't hate them and I have friends who are fans but I'm getting sick of them and I still have a "screw them" sense from 2019 especially that overrated ass Stamkos
Lightning

Overall neutral I guess but probably a little negative towards and they have some guys I really hate but mostly it's just the Jackets should at least be able to figure out how to be as good as these guys and I hate them because we can't
Isles

Bruins
Rangers
Kings
Oilers

Caps

f*** those guys
Knights

I like this game. Here's my version, I just swapped 'em around and deleted the N/A categories.

Genuine rooting interest
Oilers (despite a hatred for Drai)
Canes

Stars

Neutral but I'd rather not -
Canucks
Leafs
Jets
Isles

Neutral to the franchise and they have a couple guys I like but they have a bunch of guys I don't like but Goalie Bob plays for them so I could get behind but only as a last resort. Plus Zito.
Panthers

Avs

Overall neutral I guess but probably a little negative towards (for various reasons)
Preds
Lightning

Bruins (a buddy is chipping away at this dislike slowly.. maybe.. probably not.)
Rangers
Kings

Knights

f*** those guys
Caps

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bruins (a buddy is chipping away at this dislike slowly.. maybe.. probably not.)
When I was a kid, I liked the Bruins. I painted stiches on my street hockey goalie mask to be like Gerry Cheevers. I dug the Sox, too.

I suspect my conversation to a B's hater was not tied to anything in particular and happened over a period of time and I won't try and explain or even defend it. I have always liked David Krejci.

I have no similar past affinity for the Rangers, Kings or Oilers.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
When I was a kid, I liked the Bruins. I painted stiches on my street hockey goalie mask to be like Gerry Cheevers. I dug the Sox, too.

I suspect my conversation to a B's hater was not tied to anything in particular and happened over a period of time and I won't try and explain or even defend it. I have always liked David Krejci.

I have no similar past affinity for the Rangers, Kings or Oilers.

I never really liked the Bruins but can't point to a specific thing, either... dislike just grew with time.

The caps thing blossomed when I moved to DC. Never liked Ovi, and it turns out their fans are the biggest pieces of shit in the league (in my experience). I don't want them to have nice things, ever.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When I was a kid I had the VHS of the 1990 playoffs and would watch it over and over again:

I would love another Bruins-Oilers final.

McDavid is amazing and the more the world gets to watch him the better.

I just realized Andrew Peeke will be there too, that's slightly amusing. He seems like he'd do well in the playoffs, if there is enough structure around him. I'm rooting for him. The Bruins as always are a great lesson in structure and team building.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I like this game. Here's my version, I just swapped 'em around and deleted the N/A categories.

Genuine rooting interest
Oilers (despite a hatred for Drai)
Canes

Stars

Neutral but I'd rather not -
Canucks
Leafs
Jets
Isles

Neutral to the franchise and they have a couple guys I like but they have a bunch of guys I don't like but Goalie Bob plays for them so I could get behind but only as a last resort. Plus Zito.
Panthers

Avs

Overall neutral I guess but probably a little negative towards (for various reasons)
Preds
Lightning

Rangers
Kings

Knights

f*** those guys
Caps
Customized the categories myself.

Obviously rooting for: Preds (shocking, I know)

Also OK I guess: Panthers, Leafs, Canes

Don't really give a damn one way or the other: Rangers, Isles, Avs, Kings

Don't care enough to really focus but if I was forced I'd say f*** 'em: Bruins, Stars, Lightning, Jets, Caps

Rooting against because they're up against my guys but otherwise whatever: Canucks

Actively rooting against, this year: Edmonton (fan reactions to the Coyotes' last game made it)

Hoping for nothing but miserable, unending failure from now 'till the end of time, forever and always: Vegas

Most of the franchises I legit can't stand didn't make the playoffs to begin with.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Genuine rooting interest
Lightning
Avs

I like how you built that team so I am pulling for you
Canes
Stars

Willing to hop on the bandwagon
Preds
Islanders

Team that I want to see win so I can make an underpants gnome meme about getting rid of JD and winning a Cup
Rangers

Kind of indifferent even though I should probably hate that team
Panthers
Golden Knights

Kind of indifferent even though I hate that team
Bruins
Kings
Capitals

No Cup for you, Canada
Canucks
Jets
Oilers

f*** those guys
Leafs

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Genuine rooting interest
Panthers (They’re a wagon and people I dislike find them upsetting)
Islanders (one of my best friends is an Isles fan and I want her to be happy; also just a hilarious choice)
Jets (funniest possible city to end Canada’s drought; it would make The Hockey Guy’s wife happy, and I like him a lot)

I like how you built that team so I am pulling for you
Avs (They have no goaltending so i am dubious)
Stars (Nill for all the awards)

Willing to hop on the bandwagon
Preds (Gus!)
Canucks (they’re likable, maybe a Cup would make Quinn Hughes stop looking actively suicidal)
Bruins (win one for Jack Edwards, I guess. I don’t care. I hate them less than most of the East)

Kind of indifferent even though I should probably hate that team
Leafs (such a flawed team that’s somehow decent???)
Lightning (you know what? get it, guys. hell yeah)
Golden Knights (f*** ‘em)
Kings (I had to look up what team I was missing. I do not give two fifths of a shit about the Kings. I don’t even hate them.)

f*** those guys
Caps (they do not deserve to be there)
Canes (I would rather watch paint dry)
Oilers (their fans have forgotten the decade of darkness. f*** them)
Rangers (They won the Presidents Trophy and yet I have never been impressed with them in any game I’ve watched of them, including against other Good Teams)

What I take from this is that the playoffs are made up of a lot of teams I actively dislike, and most of them are because I dislike their fans.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Teams I would like to see win the cup:
Florida, Toronto, Dallas, Edmonton

Teams I wouldn't mind winning:
Washington, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Colorado, Carolina, Nashville

Ideally not but whatever:
NYI, Boston, Tampa, Vegas

Absolutely not:

LA, NYR

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Teams I would like to see win the cup:
Florida, Toronto, Dallas, Edmonton

Teams I wouldn't mind winning:
Washington, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Colorado, Carolina, Nashville

Ideally not but whatever:
NYI, Boston, Tampa, Vegas

Absolutely not:

LA, NYR

Another Kings-Rangers final and I quit hockey, I'll just be a cricket fan or watch golf or paint drying for all I care. No more hockey.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Sharks finished with 47 points. That's the worst 82-game point total of the cap era and the worst since the Thrashers had 39 in '99-'00. The Red Wings had a worse point percentage in '19-'20 than this year's Sharks with 39 points in 71 games.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Cam is under contract for 5.875mm for next year. Not knowing how he was used its hard to judge but 28 pts in 70 games and a minus 22 doesn't scream "let's add him" to my ears.

Reactions: squashmaple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad