Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
[Thiessen is expected to begin the regular season as the starting goalie for AHL Cleveland and the No. 3 on the Blue Jackets' depth chart, Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports[/I]. (rotowire.com)

Good choice. Thiessen is reliable and can fill the #3 goalie slot.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76565

Two years ago, Thiessen had insanely good AHL stats. Last season, his (limited) AHL numbers were very good.

He's one of those guys that I wish would have had a legit NHL chance earlier in his career. He's 31 now, so he's viewed as organizational depth which is probably what he should be.

I'd like to see what he could do in the NHL if given a sustained chance.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I do remember at least one bold prediction that Mason, once he got out of Columbus, would never again play in the AHL, let alone the NHL, because he was so impossibly bad.

And he was impossibly bad his last 3+ years in Columbus. Last in NHL save percentage. Last in GAA. He wouldn't have been a good AHL goalie during that LONG stretch. At times, he wasn't ECHL caliber. Those are the facts.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,75&sort=goalsAgainstAverage

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89750

Some people, including the lousy GM who probably lost his job in part due to his pigheadedness regarding Mason, would have given him another 3 years to turn it around in Columbus. Wouldn't have happened.

I recall some claiming that RJ Umgarbage was a legit second liner during his last year in Columbus-even though anyone with a grain of hockey perception could have easily determined that he was finished as an NHLer. His 18 goals that season were a mirage, easily seen as such by those with a clue.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And he was impossibly bad his last 3+ years in Columbus. He wouldn't have been a good AHL goalie during that LONG stretch. At times, he wasn't ECHL caliber. Those are the facts.

Oh, sure, he was bad. But you repeatedly insisted that that's all he could ever be, no matter where he went, even as certain folks (myself included) suggested that maybe that was true in Columbus but he could still be OK as soon as he got out. I believe your response to that theory was laughter emojis and accusations of naivete.

I recall some claiming that RJ Umgarbage was a legit second liner during his last year in Columbus

You have a faulty memory, then. I did insist he was a second-liner for his first three years here (based on the silly notion that someone who produces at second-line production levels given second-line ice time is probably a second-liner) plus one year beyond (mostly based on ill-founded benefit of the doubt from his three prior years), but not in the last two (because he, y'know, stopped producing at that level).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Johansen's laughing all the way to the bank and the Preds laughed all the way to the SC Finals last year-which they may have won with a healthy #91.

Keep bashing. It's ridiculous. The kid finished 11th in the NHL one year in scoring and had 63 points in another year when no other forward busted 50. A real no effort guy. LOL. The Jackets blew it with him.

Nashville + Johansen= 21 playoff wins in the past two years. Columbus - Johansen = 1.

So how many cups did those 21 playoff wins get? Hmm looks like you the numbers work out the same amount as us. Also turns out everyone Nashville ended up finishing the same way 29 other teams did last year... losers. Seems like we are just as good only without a lazy crybaby who attacked a man's family for cheering their husband/father and his anchor of a contract while moving forward with the best U23 RHD in the league who will be a top 10 in general sooner then later. And even with the preds being in the much easier conference and division who currently has the better F/D/G group? I can give you a hint but you likely don't need it.

It gets confusing sometimes to see someone post so much in the CBJ threads on this site that has never cheered for anything CBJ it seems. Hate us cuz they anus/Peanut butter and jealous.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So how many cups did those 21 playoff wins get? Hmm looks like you the numbers work out the same amount as us. Also turns out everyone Nashville ended up finishing the same way 29 other teams did last year... losers. Seems like we are just as good only without a lazy crybaby who attacked a man's family for cheering their husband/father and his anchor of a contract while moving forward with the best U23 RHD in the league who will be a top 10 in general sooner then later. And even with the preds being in the much easier conference and division who currently has the better F/D/G group? I can give you a hint but you likely don't need it.

It gets confusing sometimes to see someone post so much in the CBJ threads on this site that has never cheered for anything CBJ it seems. Hate us cuz they anus/Peanut butter and jealous.

This is so weird. I have no idea what's going on. But nothing has made me start to like Johansen more than reading your posts on him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

You're absolutely delusional. We'd be doing backflips here if we won half as many playoff games as Nashville did. You included. You pushing it under the rug because Nashville didn't win the cup is ridiculous. And you know it too.

Johansen: I don't know how (Kesler's) family and friends root for a guy like that. I'm just trying to go out there and play hockey, and it sucks when you've got to pull a stick out of your groin every shift. He doesn't do anything that makes sense. He thinks he's getting under guys' skin, but I don't know what he's doing.

That's attacking his family? If his family took that as an insult then they deserved it. Because thats soft as hell. That's barely even an insult to Kesler, not even his family. You think that's the worst thing someone has said? Look at Sean ****ing Avery. That's classless. You even thinking Johansen's slight to Kesler is attacking his family is absolutely infuriating. If you're going to hate the guy, at least make sense.

Subban, Josi, Johansen, Forsberg, Rinne, and Arvidsson carried that team. He's a big piece to their puzzle and big reason for their success. Denying that is just ignorance.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So how many cups did those 21 playoff wins get? Hmm looks like you the numbers work out the same amount as us.
They would definitely went to game seven if RyJo was on the team, they would probably lost anyway, because Rinne couldn't stop a beachball in Pens arena. Or you know, they could have won that infamous first one, if Joey was there and finished it in five.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
They would definitely went to game seven if RyJo was on the team, they would probably lost anyway, because Rinne couldn't stop a beachball in Pens arena. Or you know, they could have won that infamous first one, if Joey was there and finished it in five.
And they could have played worse with him... that's the thing with ifs you'll never know. It probably would have been a bigger blowout with him floating around.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And they could have played worse with him... that's the thing with ifs you'll never know. It probably would have been a bigger blowout with him floating around.

You mean the same Johansen who had 13 pts in 14 games just floating around in the playoffs?

Come on man, just give up the Joey hate.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You mean the same Johansen who had 13 pts in 14 games just floating around in the playoffs?

Come on man, just give up the Joey hate.
It's not hate it's just my honest opinion of his playing ability and about who he is as a person. I don't have enough effort in me as a person to hate anyone I don't interact with personally.

If one day he turns into a player that gives it his all and does something unselfish on the ice I will praise him. But I doubt that will happen for him or his recent addition of a teammate of his on the blueline. I like the preds so I hope for continued success but with 2 me first guys there and losing 2 huge team leaders and team first guys in Weber and Fisher I think likelihood of them having any kind of success close to last year is reaching.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's not hate it's just my honest opinion of his playing ability and about who he is as a person. I don't have enough effort in me as a person to hate anyone I don't interact with personally.

If one day he turns into a player that gives it his all and does something unselfish on the ice I will praise him. But I doubt that will happen for him or his recent addition of a teammate of his on the blueline. I like the preds so I hope for continued success but with 2 me first guys there and losing 2 huge team leaders and team first guys in Weber and Fisher I think likelihood of them having any kind of success close to last year is reaching.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135025963&postcount=1

You're just wrong about Johansen the player. I suspect that you're wrong about him as a person as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncT4g1WxwQ

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
All that video showed me was Foligno is a funny guy and his charisma in this gives us a glimpse of why he's the captain and should retire a blue jacket. RyJo stood there and laughed... does that show somehow he's not a tool? I'll go with seeing him benched multiple times, causing issues with his agent, and getting shipped out to then attacked an opponents family in the crowd, and saying he enjoyed not being in the SC and dealing with that pressure. What a competitive great guy!! Who wouldn't want him.

And also I don't know what those numbers were I didn't see hits, blocked shots, PIM, or +/- anywhere on that list.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't know why someone's opinion of a player of another team (thank baby Jesus he's gone) bugs you. I 100% understand if it is a CBJ fan outright bashing a CBJ player and spouting falsehoods like wad recently happening in the Murray thread... But the Phil Kessel of the West in RyJo?? Why care.

Also don't let my way of discussing get you guys pissed. People debate on forums so much differently then they used to I'll say that much. I used to be very active on boards from 06 to 11/12 ish but now everyone wants to call out strawman and all these other debate technique things. I argue based solely on personal opinion and even when I am stating facts I'm not going to double check it's to much work so sometimes I'm stating facts that might be slightly off but my points are still valid haha. I dont have a team of fact checkers unless someone's volunteering :sarcasm: I also like to use very extreme examples that are difficult to argue against that puts you in a corner if you disagree but if you agree then I'm right. Then sometimes I like to exaggerate/sarcasm combo. It's nearly impossible to counter argue. It's just my way of having fun talking about this stuff. It's not life or death on here the point of talking this stuff is because it's something we all enjoy so when I debate I do it in a fun larger then life big personality way. It seems some of our fans here don't like my way of debating sometimes so I'm legit sorry if I said something to **** someone off but just know when I'm posting I'm just having fun try not to take anything to seriously.

Also seriously though haha when I'm discussing stats... I don't give 2 ***** about team sports advanced stats. Advanced stats is a baseball only thing in my opinion. Hockey is not a sport that 1 person can carry the whole play everything is team driven. So all these advanced stats do not work because there's to many outside factors at work that can explain those away. Imo hockey and basketball the most basic stats are the most telling and the eye test is the most important. Trust your eyes over WOWY, corsi, real corsi, false corsi, no seriously real corsi jk not real corsi etc...

Hopefully this will help the 3 guys on here getting annoyed with me understand a little more and not hate interacting with me as much because I like talking to my fellow CBJ fans I don't want to make any of you too pissed to banter back and forth with (except maybe one of you ) haha

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Did Johansen do something aggregious towards you? Did he steal your girlfriend or something? This is getting out of hand.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Did Johansen do something aggregious towards you? Did he steal your girlfriend or something? This is getting out of hand.
did I steal your girlfriend or something? Because people seem to have as much of an issue with me not liking the guy as I have with him. Did you literally just skip my post that's right before yours?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know why someone's opinion of a player of another team (thank baby Jesus he's gone) bugs you. I 100% understand if it is a CBJ fan outright bashing a CBJ player and spouting falsehoods like wad recently happening in the Murray thread... But the Phil Kessel of the West in RyJo?? Why care.

Also don't let my way of discussing get you guys pissed. People debate on forums so much differently then they used to I'll say that much. I used to be very active on boards from 06 to 11/12 ish but now everyone wants to call out strawman and all these other debate technique things. I argue based solely on personal opinion and even when I am stating facts I'm not going to double check it's to much work so sometimes I'm stating facts that might be slightly off but my points are still valid haha. I dont have a team of fact checkers unless someone's volunteering :sarcasm: I also like to use very extreme examples that are difficult to argue against that puts you in a corner if you disagree but if you agree then I'm right. Then sometimes I like to exaggerate/sarcasm combo. It's nearly impossible to counter argue. It's just my way of having fun talking about this stuff. It's not life or death on here the point of talking this stuff is because it's something we all enjoy so when I debate I do it in a fun larger then life big personality way. It seems some of our fans here don't like my way of debating sometimes so I'm legit sorry if I said something to **** someone off but just know when I'm posting I'm just having fun try not to take anything to seriously.

Also seriously though haha when I'm discussing stats... I don't give 2 ***** about team sports advanced stats. Advanced stats is a baseball only thing in my opinion. Hockey is not a sport that 1 person can carry the whole play everything is team driven. So all these advanced stats do not work because there's to many outside factors at work that can explain those away. Imo hockey and basketball the most basic stats are the most telling and the eye test is the most important. Trust your eyes over WOWY, corsi, real corsi, false corsi, no seriously real corsi jk not real corsi etc...

Hopefully this will help the 3 guys on here getting annoyed with me understand a little more and not hate interacting with me as much because I like talking to my fellow CBJ fans I don't want to make any of you too pissed to banter back and forth with (except maybe one of you 😂) haha

You somehow manage to be completely wrong about most of your factual assertions, it's not just slightly off. Google is not that hard to use.

When everyone thinks you are wrong over and over again it's maybe time to consider that you're actually really bad at argument, and that this style of argument you pride yourself in is just embarrassing.

It's very easy to counter argue against you because it's easy to demonstrate to any passerby that I know the facts and you don't. The only difficulty is that you seem incompetent enough that it feels like a waste of time. If that's your end goal, then congrats you've succeeded.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
did I steal your girlfriend or something? Because people seem to have as much of an issue with me not liking the guy as I have with him. Did you literally just skip my post that's right before yours?

Actually yes. I typically skip over most of your posts because 90% of the time it's utter nonsense.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The only thing I get annoyed with is discussing this subject with you. It's like Johansen did a Carter, got traded, and then torched the bridge by calling Columbus a **** town, **** team, with **** fans. None of this happened. Yet you (and many others here) villainize the guy. I think it'll just stop replying to your Johansen posts. It's like talking to a wall. I'm not budging on my opinion, off of your opinions, and clearly you aren't moving from my facts. We'll just agree to disagree because I'm tired of this debate and proving the same point over and over again.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You somehow manage to be completely wrong about most of your factual assertions, it's not just slightly off. Google is not that hard to use.

When everyone thinks you are wrong over and over again it's maybe time to consider that you're actually really bad at argument, and that this style of argument you pride yourself in is just embarrassing.

It's very easy to counter argue against you because it's easy to demonstrate to any passerby that I know the facts and you don't. The only difficulty is that you seem incompetent enough that it feels like a waste of time. If that's your end goal, then congrats you've succeeded.
The thing is though very very rarely do you guys disagree with me on anything not RyJo or Murray. So that really isn't true.

And running Google on my phone while typing up a response is difficult I can't keep flipping tabs and trying to research stuff. As long as it's close enough it doesn't matter. Like you throwing a fit I said Milano was top 5 when he was 6 but I was going off memory and forgot Bjorkstrand is still a prospect even though he isn't Calder eligible from what I remembered. So I'm close enough in the arguement. I argue on here like I would face to face. If you are talking to a friend do you stop mid conversation and look stuff up? I never do because that's not what people do... in the 50s did people say wait let me go to the library and check a statistic really quick? No... you go based on memory because that's the whole fun of debating arguing based only on what's in your head.

What's embarrassing is how... I can't think of a word to describe stick up your ass that would be an adjective to the way you post... But that's what is embarrassing. Why do you take yourself and an internet forum discussing hockey to be the most important thing ever and be a dick to a random person you don't know? That's pretty embarrassing as well. So congrats you succeeded as well.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The only thing I get annoyed with is discussing this subject with you. It's like Johansen did a Carter, got traded, and then torched the bridge by calling Columbus a **** town, **** team, with **** fans. None of this happened. Yet you (and many others here) villainize the guy. I think it'll just stop replying to your Johansen posts. It's like talking to a wall. I'm not budging on my opinion, off of your opinions, and clearly you aren't moving from my facts. We'll just agree to disagree because I'm tired of this debate and proving the same point over and over again.
It's just like LeBron in Cleveland leaving. I still can't stand LeBron even though he is back. I still hate Rick Nash. I'm an extremely loyal person and I expect players on the teams I cheer for to be as well. Also I expect players to do as I did when I played and what I expect from the kids I coach and thats always give your all, especially if your making millions to do so. He didn't take the off-season seriously and came in out of shape. He was benched multiple times for not putting in the effort. It wasn't his first time doing so as it happened in the minors as well. I can't respect players that do stuff like that. I also really don't like what he said about Keslers family. It wasn't extremely offensive but you don't bring a person's family into what's going on on the ice and saying what kinda people are they if the cheer for him... should they be cheering for him instead? And then saying he's happy just watching the SC and not dealing with the pressure I put myself in NASH fans shoes and think man this is supposed to be our future leader here and our #1 scoring threat and he's happy watching. Rubs me the wrong way.

And see what you said... reasonable and not being a dick. How adults debate on a hockey forum. We disagree on this but agree on many other things I've seen it. I enjoy your stuff.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm with you on Nash. I don't hate the guy, but I don't root for him either. I don't mind his request to get out, he was loyal here forever and our franchise was going nowhere. I just didn't like how he tried to make it a charity act, and how he didn't acknowledge the fans after his welcome back message (I was there. He did nothing). I think he still loves Columbus and the fans here but that exit was ugly and played poorly by him and Howson's staff.

I also hated LeBron after he left, for the reason as how Nash left (the way he did it). But when he came back I said to my friends it would all be forgiven if he won the cavs a title. He did. So he's alright in my book.

Debating is fun. No reason to get personal. We just don't agree and won't regardless of what we say. Well move on. No hurt or bad feelings here. We're all friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad