Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I tried hard to forgive LeBron even though I said I never would because it was explained to me that he came to the Cavs right out of high school and never went to college and Miami could be seen as him going away to college for 4 years and being stupid with his friends before coming back home. And after the last 3 years I've not hated but not liked. I appreciate what he does don't get me wrong because obviously very important piece of the team but I try to just forget the past but this off-season the issues with LeBron and Kyrie I immediately said trade LeBron for picks if you have to Kyrie needs to retire a Cav. My #2 all time favorite Cav other then Andy Varijo. I even got the Uncle Drew bobbleheads that sell for like $100 a piece on eBay. Kyrie being my favorite and I collect Pepsi stuff so it's a perfect double brand collectable.

But back to the topic haha honestly Nash caused issues for me in the playoffs who I cheered for in years because I liked Stepan and Girardi and I think torts coached Nash at least 1 year but I liked those rangers with those 3 when we weren't in it and I rooted against them ever since even if they played my absoluteeast favorite teams like the pens or Montreal because I didn't want Nash to ever win out of spite.

That's what made it hard this year was I wanted ANA to win after we lost but once it was preds vs pens obviously I wanted the preds but I couldn't hope that because RyJo then I realized since he wasn't playing they could win because he didn't play haha. I honestly dislike him more then Carter and its not even close for me. Carter had literally JUST signed a deal with Philly in good faith assuming he would stay there and continue to contend coming off some great years and they immediately trade him. He didn't sign that long term deal to be traded right away he could have signed elsewhere if that was the case. Columbus wasn't being run like it is now back then so I don't blame him as much. I still can't stand him but it's also necause he's a tool on top of ****ing us on top of his off the ice issues and didn't he allegedly lile sleep with Hartnells wife or something? Idk. Stories like that come up though. There was one about Ryan Kesler apparently sleeping with Corey Schneiders girlfriend in Vancouver but I've never seen anyone say anything about that and I was living in Van at the time and I've seen videos of Kes and Schneider joking since then. They say that's why Kesler wanted out because his wife was tired of him ******* around Vancouver is what I'm told... because SoCal is not going to have attractive women haha.

There aren't really any other former players I dislike though. Umberger and Brassard probably as far as I can think right.now. There are tons I love though. Boll, Dorsett, Bass, Arty, Saader, Hartsy, and Wild Bill. I'm aware 3 of those haven't even played a game for their new teams yet and 1 of those guys I'm scared to see what happens because does he take it easy on the guys he ends up against? Maybe Motte will have to drop him haha

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
1_Snickers.jpg

Better?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
What if we drafted Kopitar instead of Brule? This could become a whole thread of its own. :cry: Shea Weber instead of Dan Fritsche? :cry::cry:

You're making an assumption that this franchise had it's **** together enough for them to have success. I'm not sure it's a good assumption.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You're making an assumption that this franchise had it's **** together enough for them to have success. I'm not sure it's a good assumption.

"He Kopitar'd" does sound just as good as "He Brule'd"

"Webering" I'm less fond of.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Was perusing some other teams and noticed Vegas still hasn't unloaded their excess D. Forwards seem pretty set, although a couple young guys will have to play with Clarkson & Gabrovski going LTIR. Colorado needs some help on defense so maybe they're a trade partner? Either way, no sense in holding 11 NHL Dman, only of whom is waiver-exempt. They have 10 Dmen who are 23+ years old and who will require waivers to be sent to the AHL. Maybe that's how they lose Engelland? And maybe they make one more trade with another?

Don't know their rookies all that well, but seems like Tynan and Koelsar will get shots at their last 2-3 forward spots. I wonder if Vanek or Jagr get a PTO from them?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Was perusing some other teams and noticed Vegas still hasn't unloaded their excess D. Forwards seem pretty set, although a couple young guys will have to play with Clarkson & Gabrovski going LTIR. Colorado needs some help on defense so maybe they're a trade partner? Either way, no sense in holding 11 NHL Dman, only of whom is waiver-exempt. They have 10 Dmen who are 23+ years old and who will require waivers to be sent to the AHL. Maybe that's how they lose Engelland? And maybe they make one more trade with another?

Don't know their rookies all that well, but seems like Tynan and Koelsar will get shots at their last 2-3 forward spots. I wonder if Vanek or Jagr get a PTO from them?

I guess you could say they are really taking a gamble here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
OMG. That is just terrible for Edmonton.

And terrible for any team loaded with top tier RFAs (like the Jackets). The whole draft building approach depends on the long term RFA discount, and that's melting away. Wennberg's $$ just went way up.

Edit: He'll still provide value on top of that contract I think. Drai is a force. But that's not the RFA value we used to know.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
OMG. That is just terrible for Edmonton.

And terrible for any team loaded with top tier RFAs (like the Jackets). The whole draft building approach depends on the long term RFA discount, and that's melting away. Wennberg's $$ just went way up.

Edit: He'll still provide value on top of that contract I think. Drai is a force. But that's not the RFA value we used to know.

Considering many thought Draisaitl would net $10MM AAV this is a good contract relatively speaking. CBJ doesn't have anyone like him. I don't see much impact for Wennberg on this deal. Just my opinion though.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He isn't worth it. Maybe he will be in the future, but he hasn't done enough to get that kind of a contract.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I wince when I see 21 year old RFAs sign deals like Draisaitl's. In this case, I kinda sorta get it. I haven't seen enough of him to have a strong opinion on him, but I'd imagine the Oilers are doing the Penguins model of locking up two outstanding #1Cs long term. Can't blame them.

I don't understand how the kid was able to get two $7 million bonuses, one of which is in the CBA opt out year for the NHLPA if I've done my math right. You'd think that the Edmonton GM could have avoided that given that the kid wouldn't have been a UFA for something like 5 years.

I get the long term deals with top-of-the-line RFAs. I don't get the top dollar and other terms that many are getting. It really is eroding (what I thought anyway) the entire purpose of having 7 years worth of RFA on a player.

The way things are going with these big $ RFA signings, NHL teams are going to have 4-6 players making big money, another 4-6 in the $3-5 million range and the remaining 10 or so players making near minimum. I don't know how that's going to work out. It stands a good chance of breaking the cohesiveness of NHLPA membership I'd think.

We'll see.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I wince when I see 21 year old RFAs sign deals like Draisaitl's. In this case, I kinda sorta get it. I haven't seen enough of him to have a strong opinion on him, but I'd imagine the Oilers are doing the Penguins model of locking up two outstanding #1Cs long term. Can't blame them.

I don't understand how the kid was able to get two $7 million bonuses, one of which is in the CBA opt out year for the NHLPA if I've done my math right. You'd think that the Edmonton GM could have avoided that given that the kid wouldn't have been a UFA for something like 5 years.

I get the long term deals with top-of-the-line RFAs. I don't get the top dollar and other terms that many are getting. It really is eroding (what I thought anyway) the entire purpose of having 7 years worth of RFA on a player.

The way things are going with these big $ RFA signings, NHL teams are going to have 4-6 players making big money, another 4-6 in the $3-5 million range and the remaining 10 or so players making near minimum. I don't know how that's going to work out. It stands a good chance of breaking the cohesiveness of NHLPA membership I'd think.

We'll see.

That's the NFL way to win: have elite-level players making market value, have guys at or near the league minimum to fill out the roster and maybe uncover a gem, and everyone else in between is replaceable. It squeezes out the entire middle class of player, although the side effect is that it's also what makes further expansion viable as more NHL talent ends up sitting around.

I don't think it will affect the NHLPA membership one bit. Every player feels in the back of his mind that he's one big year away from that monster payday, and won't do anything to compromise the chance to do so.

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
these crazy contracts are why lockouts happen.....it's out of control...the owners basically control the contracts, and it's the owners [crying wolf because they don't have any money left] that lock out the players when it's time to re-up with the NHLPA...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That's the NFL way to win: have elite-level players making market value, have guys at or near the league minimum to fill out the roster and maybe uncover a gem, and everyone else in between is replaceable. It squeezes out the entire middle class of player, although the side effect is that it's also what makes further expansion viable as more NHL talent ends up sitting around.

I don't think it will affect the NHLPA membership one bit. Every player feels in the back of his mind that he's one big year away from that monster payday, and won't do anything to compromise the chance to do so.

Some differences between the NFL & NHL though. Roster size, guys who are playing at any given time and guaranteed contracts in NHL vs the cut you anytime deals in the NFL (although it seems like there is a rise in guaranteed money for top guys).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad