Around Hockey XVIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Yep, that's the Steve Mason we remember. Makes a couple brilliant saves and then...
He has all the tools, but a therapist would have a field day inside that kid's head.

But it was the CBJ's fault that he was bad here and we "ruined the game" for him. :laugh:

Kid is a nut case.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There's a couple things that are getting conveniently left out of the pro-Johansen narrative.

1. The issues with him long predate the contract fight. His attitude and disastrous AHL trip had a lot of folks worrying that he might become a problem child.

2. We also had threads in multiple years speculating on what's wrong with Johansen.
Go to this funny thread from 2014 if you don't remember it. He had long stretches where he looked sick, and it's still a mystery. Heart ailment? Who knows.

Can't handle a little info that goes against your narrative.

Now that is pathetic:laugh:

Johansen's major slumps in 2013-15 didn't happen. He may have had a few game stretches here and there where he was off, but nothing significant in duration. "10 game stretches of floating" are figments of your imagination.

All I can say is I disagree - if you had to go back and watch every Johansen shift I think you'd know what I mean. 10 games is even too short to describe it. 20 game stretches where he is behind the play, still chipping in points but no one at the time debated whether he was off his game. But you're not going to go watch those shifts, so why bother debating this?

I guess that Portys analysis means nothing to you. He states that the relationship was soured after the negotiations and that he was held to a different standard by management. But, you'd probably know more than the Jackets beat writer from your strategic vantage point in Washington State or wherever you live 2000 miles away.

In this case I didn't see any area where my views and Porty's views are contradictory. Did the contract demands raise expectations? I don't disagree. Does Porty think that Johansen's play was normal? I didn't see that. In any case, I'm allowed to think that Porty is wrong on something. I've never read a Porty chat where I didn't find something to disagree with. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Nah. This can't be true. It breaks the narrative of "it's all Johansen's fault". No ill will from the management of the CBJ toward him. No residual management resentment about the contract negotiations. None at all. LOL

Can't handle a little info that goes against your narrative.

Now that is pathetic:laugh:

Johansen's major slumps in 2013-15 didn't happen. He may have had a few game stretches here and there where he was off, but nothing significant in duration. "10 game stretches of floating" are figments of your imagination.

I guess that Portys analysis means nothing to you. He states that the relationship was soured after the negotiations and that he was held to a different standard by management. But, you'd probably know more than the Jackets beat writer from your strategic vantage point in Washington State or wherever you live 2000 miles away.

You still have a few more grief stages to go to get to acceptance. You'll get there, we're all pulling for you.

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
The Flyers fanbase has such a collection of miserable people; it's baffling how you can continue to boo a guy who needs help getting off the ice. I don't care who the guy used to play for.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
The Flyers fanbase has such a collection of miserable people; it's baffling how you can continue to boo a guy who needs help getting off the ice. I don't care who the guy used to play for.
Not to mention throwing stuff on the ice.

Awful hit, by the way.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And then the neckbreaker on Orlov (most dangerous hit I've seen in a long time), who then gets hit in the head with debris from a Flyers fan.

If I'm Trotz in that situation with 5 minutes left, I'm tempted to just take my team and leave. Let the league figure it out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And then the neckbreaker on Orlov (most dangerous hit I've seen in a long time), who then gets hit in the head with debris from a Flyers fan.

If I'm Trotz in that situation with 5 minutes left, I'm tempted to just take my team and leave. Let the league figure it out.

They'd probably call the game a forfeit and give it to the Flyers. Would you still do that?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They'd probably call the game a forfeit and give it to the Flyers. Would you still do that?

Its not the preferred outcome (I think Trotz has a case that his team was in a dangerous position), but I place a high value on embarrassing both the league and the Flyers, so a forfeit doesn't sound so bad. It also appears to be the only way the Caps get one more home game in this series, and I'm sure Leonsis would appreciate that extra million in revenue.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Its not the preferred outcome (I think Trotz has a case that his team was in a dangerous position), but I place a high value on embarrassing both the league and the Flyers, so a forfeit doesn't sound so bad. It also appears to be the only way the Caps get one more home game in this series, and I'm sure Leonsis would appreciate that extra million in revenue.

I guess I get your point, but throwing a game, especially since you're leading 6-1, doesn't make sense to me. That's just giving up, and encourages gooning it up once you get down by a big margin because the team might leave. But it's your opinion.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

20,000 x $100/ticket = $2,000,000
50% of ticket revenue in at-rink expenditures = $1,000,000 (gross/net, I'm not sure).

$3,000,000 may be the real dollar increase. This is another reason why CBJ needs to make playoffs (although if at the cap level, it doesn't really matter, but would have helped LTIR Clarkson and buyout out Boll and/or Tyutin :)

And while I admired the Flyers run the last 2 months, last night took all the admiration away. The hit on Orpik was a hockey play gone bad... the rest of the night was Philadelphia gone bad, in terms of dangerous play, bad play, horrible fans, etc....

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Yep, that's the Steve Mason we remember. Makes a couple brilliant saves and then...
He has all the tools, but a therapist would have a field day inside that kid's head.

Mason needed a therapist and we traded him for a guy who needs a orthopedic surgeon who can do a groin transplant.

Mason played brilliantly for a year to get us to the playoffs one season, just like Bob did. Those two were the 2 best players in our only playoff years.

Difference is the contracts given out for the one great season. Mason was young and controllable, Bob got paid.

I do think Bob is a better goalie than Mason, but much worse contract.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Jets offensive lineman Nick Mangold was hard to miss at Tuesday’s Penguins-Rangers game. He was the guy who looked like Nick Mangold yelling at Pittsburgh’s bench.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Jets offensive lineman Nick Mangold was hard to miss at Tuesday’s Penguins-Rangers game. He was the guy who looked like Nick Mangold yelling at Pittsburgh’s bench.

I don't know how the glass is in MSG, but if it's like at Nationwide Arena, you can barely hear what someone on the other side is yelling. I've been on the bench and you can't hear anything unless the person is looking over the glass.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Tarasenko has 13 goals in 17 career playoff games, most ever (if I read the stat right) of any active player through their first 17 playoff games.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Felt a bit of sadness for Pavel Datsyuk. Tough to go out in a losing effort. If he is done he was one of the best. I really enjoyed watching him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad