Around Hockey XVII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
L8NbLF.gif

jy5R9G.gif

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Looks like Florida was eliminated tonight. Too bad, I was pulling for them.

Hopefully, Ottawa makes it. With the Jackets out, it would be great to see one of Boston, Detroit or Pittsburgh miss.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Looks like Florida was eliminated tonight. Too bad, I was pulling for them.

Hopefully, Ottawa makes it. With the Jackets out, it would be great to see one of Boston, Detroit or Pittsburgh miss.

I'd rather Detroit miss so Pittsburgh can be absolutely humiliated on the big stage

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Detroit miss PO? Is this possible? The last time it was 1990. Then Savard, Murray, Jenner, Johansen, Wennberg, Dano and Morin were not even born.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
If i'm don't wrong pens lose Flyers all games in this season. I'm want Ottawa in play off, whatever Boston or pens out.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah, go Sens. Anyone see Turris's goal last night?

Would LOVE Pens to miss out. They've already traded their first this year lol

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Epic terribad penalty by Daniel Winnik at the end of the first, cost the Pens their lead.

This is the first NBC game of the week I've watch all year, and it's to root against the team I grew up idolizing - in favor of the team I grew up despising.

Go Flyers :confused:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Flyers being outshot 30-10 but ahead 2-1.

Go Mase!

People think we bent the Flyers but the final trade really ended up being

Bobrovsky + 3rd this year for Mason + 2nd (Stolarz) + 4th (Leir) + 4th (Simon Gagne). Flyers dealt one of the 4ths we gave them for Gagne, Leir and Stolarz are pretty good prospects. Mason doing what he's doing, and Bob doing what he's doing. Seems pretty even.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
People think we bent the Flyers but the final trade really ended up being

Bobrovsky + 3rd this year for Mason + 2nd (Stolarz) + 4th (Leir) + 4th (Simon Gagne). Flyers dealt one of the 4ths we gave them for Gagne, Leir and Stolarz are pretty good prospects. Mason doing what he's doing, and Bob doing what he's doing. Seems pretty even.

Even disregarding the other pieces, these were trades that helped both franchises. Both guys were still young and both guys needed a change of scenery. Glad it has worked out for all parties involved. Naturally, if we ever face them in a playoff series, we'll be calling for Mason's head of course ;)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
It wasn't just that they lost, it's that they lost trying to play an intimidation game against the Flyers. The only way Pittsburgh ever beats Philadelphia is by out-skilling them. They tried to steamroll them like they tried to steamroll us yesterday, and got the same results.

I think Mike Johnston is going to have a very short tenure with the Penguins. The style just doesn't fit.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It wasn't just that they lost, it's that they lost trying to play an intimidation game against the Flyers. The only way Pittsburgh ever beats Philadelphia is by out-skilling them. They tried to steamroll them like they tried to steamroll us yesterday, and got the same results.

I think Mike Johnston is going to have a very short tenure with the Penguins. The style just doesn't fit.

Everyone here knows I grew up in Pittsburgh and am a lifelong Pens fan. And everyone here also knows I am a CBJ fan first, and am as annoyed (from my perspective, probably more so) at "visiting" Pens fans. I say both of things to offer what I hope will be a less-poorly-received Pens-fan perspective than some others.

Jim Rutherford was one of my favorite players growing up. But I think he's lacked big-picture thinking in his role a GM of the Pens. He's patching up/filling holes in his roster, sort of on an as-it-comes basis. Isolated, I'm not sure a lot of the moves have been bad, but they haven't been part of a cohesive overall plan.

Johnston is in over his head. He does not articulate, at least publicly, anything that suggests he has a real concept of what he wants his team to do.

I am not one of the many self-loathing Pens fans who hate their own team or whatever. I want them to make the playoffs and, if not playing the Jackets, win rounds. I would obviously prefer they make the playoffs over the Wings (who I hate) Bruins (who I don't like) or the Sens (who I generally am OK with). But I feel like the tenuous hold the team has on a playoff spot is a pretty accurate representation of where they are as a team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I couldn't care less if Pittsburgh gets in or not. I'm just happy the Flyers won. :). Right now I'm a big fan of the Flyers, Colorado & Dallas.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Everyone here knows I grew up in Pittsburgh and am a lifelong Pens fan. And everyone here also knows I am a CBJ fan first, and am as annoyed (from my perspective, probably more so) at "visiting" Pens fans. I say both of things to offer what I hope will be a less-poorly-received Pens-fan perspective than some others.

Jim Rutherford was one of my favorite players growing up. But I think he's lacked big-picture thinking in his role a GM of the Pens. He's patching up/filling holes in his roster, sort of on an as-it-comes basis. Isolated, I'm not sure a lot of the moves have been bad, but they haven't been part of a cohesive overall plan.

Johnston is in over his head. He does not articulate, at least publicly, anything that suggests he has a real concept of what he wants his team to do.

I am not one of the many self-loathing Pens fans who hate their own team or whatever. I want them to make the playoffs and, if not playing the Jackets, win rounds. I would obviously prefer they make the playoffs over the Wings (who I hate) Bruins (who I don't like) or the Sens (who I generally am OK with). But I feel like the tenuous hold the team has on a playoff spot is a pretty accurate representation of where they are as a team.

Ya lost me at "lifelong Pens fan"

;)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

I grew up a Penguins fan myself. Once I got into the Chill, we would go over to Pittsburgh to see a Pens game every spring and they were some of the best memories of my life. I idolized Lemieux and (still do) Jagr, and the playoff runs of '96 and '01 are still deeply entrenched in my memory. This play is one of my favorite hockey moments of all-time:

On a broken ankle, no less ;)

So I guess you could say that you and I are on the same page there. The difference is, I can't stand the way the Penguins play any more and I despise Mike Johnston with a passion and fury typically reserved for anyone from the Detroit organization, and Doug MacLean. The Penguins play the same way Johnston's Winterhawks used to - right on the edges of dirty, completely against the morals of the game, and full of whining and complaining to the refs. I like Jim Rutherford and I don't have an issue with Sidney Crosby. But I find it much easier to cheer against that team than for them.

When they hired Mike Johnston, I had a hard time figuring out what it meant. On the one hand, I wouldn't be forced to see talented guys like Brenden Leipsic and Nic Petan reduced to throwing what can only be described as two year old temper tantrums at the refs (literally, I saw Leipsic throw his stick and flail his arms around like a little baby) ... but, the Penguins would now be subjected to his bizarre leadership model. Now, sure enough, they take pot shots at goalies, dive into the boards at each little nudge, and act like they can do no wrong.

That's why I cheered for the Flyers today. And that's why I'm cheering for the Sens tonight and on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad