OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
Leafs lose to the Black Hawks. Bottom feeders saying we’re made as hell and we’re not taking it anymore.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Shoulda rebuilt sooner imo. It's all lottery balls anyways and giving yourself the best chance to land Bedard would have been perfect to start the next decade. I don't know why the Blues held off rebuilding like this
I don't know if they're going for that type of rebuild, though. They have a lot of term still left on guys.

Faulk, Krug, Parayko, Schenn, Kyrou, Thomas, and Binnington are all signed at least through 26-27. Their d-men also have NTCs for several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Shoulda rebuilt sooner imo. It's all lottery balls anyways and giving yourself the best chance to land Bedard would have been perfect to start the next decade. I don't know why the Blues held off rebuilding like this
I mean they won the cup just a short while ago. Logically sure but you had to expect them to run it back a couple times.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean they won the cup just a short while ago. Logically sure but you had to expect them to run it back a couple times.

They're a lot like us. They had like 7 years before they finally pulled it off. The Lightning might have been done after a Cup too if JFBB wasn't such a genius. Unless his best trick yet is still up his sleeve, I say empty the tank of EVERYTHING and go for one last Cup and call it a dynasty. Trade high on everyone that's not going to HHOF and be back at it in 2 seasons. I wanted JFBB to do it last year because I wasn't so sure we had a threepeat in us.

I was wrong. But beyond this year, I say make this the plan like the Blues are

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They're a lot like us. They had like 7 years before they finally pulled it off. The Lightning might have been done after a Cup too if JFBB wasn't such a genius. Unless his best trick yet is still up his sleeve, I say empty the tank of EVERYTHING and go for one last Cup and call it a dynasty. Trade high on everyone that's not going to HHOF and be back at it in 2 seasons. I wanted JFBB to do it last year because I wasn't so sure we had a threepeat in us.

I was wrong. But beyond this year, I say make this the plan like the Blues are
Everyone not going to the HHOF is either on like a one-year deal, or just signed for 8 years.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Everyone not going to the HHOF is either on like a one-year deal, or just signed for 8 years.

Yeah I know but business is business. If we win a Cup I think the likes of Paul and Sergachev can deal with it and the school bus line might all retire at the same time. The team is too expensive and if the Bally situation crashes the cap, we're going to have to sell anyway. With the core as talented as it is, we'd be back in contention in no time at all.

We still have the prime of our best players left but we are going to have to address the fact we've won it all twice too late into the window to really keep it going much longer. These last 10 years should have realistically seen 4 championships by now and I don't know how much more turnover we can afford

Empty the tank for another title and reload

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah I know but business is business. If we win a Cup I think the likes of Paul and Sergachev can deal with it and the school bus line might all retire at the same time. The team is too expensive and if the Bally situation crashes the cap, we're going to have to sell anyway. With the core as talented as it is, we'd be back in contention in no time at all.

We still have the prime of our best players left but we are going to have to address the fact we've won it all twice too late into the window to really keep it going much longer. These last 10 years should have realistically seen 4 championships by now and I don't know how much more turnover we can afford

Empty the tank for another title and reload
I don't really agree on a retool, but the Bally stuff is really just hastening a situation that was inevitably going to happen. Media is changing, and the rights fees were unsustainable.

The NHL and PA can change the definition of HRR if it comes to it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

12 Bally teams + 3 WB with uncertain futures. The end of the RSN as we know it is nigh.

WB/D also operates NBA TV. I'm not sure if that changes anything.

This article was extremely helpful.

The Orlando Magic should be a reasonable comparison to the Lightning.
“[Even] in a worst-case scenario, our games will still be on the air,” said Orlando Magic CEO Alex Martins, who is in the middle of a rights deal with Bally Sports Florida. “Revenue-wise, if it were a free fall and they’d have to stop payments, we’d have to work through that. But all indications are that’s not going to happen.”

The Magic still have five years left on a 10-year rights deal that started with the 2016-17 season. That deal carries an average annual value of $40 million, sources said.

So far, Bally Sports Florida has not asked the Magic to rework its deal to account for the RSNs’ crumbling business model. In fact, all league and team executives contacted by SBJ over the past several weeks said they’ve received full rights fee payments from their RSNs.
One NBA team president cited internal research that predicted its RSN rights-fee payout would drop from the mid-$30 million range per year to around $8 million if it made its games available via a direct-to-consumer service on its own.

What's bad is that the talk is that Comcast (NBC Sports) want out as well. If live sports are supposedly propping up TV subscriptions, and Comcast doesn't want their RSNs anymore...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad