Salary Cap: Armchair Jets GM

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do you put Appleton way ahead of Lemieux? I think Appleton needs more AHL seasoning, especially if they see any future for him at C. I think Lemieux is ready to be a 4th line energy winger who can score some goals.
Ya, I don't have Appleton as high as others either. But it could be because every time I saw him live he was under whelming.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Why do you put Appleton way ahead of Lemieux? I think Appleton needs more AHL seasoning, especially if they see any future for him at C. I think Lemieux is ready to be a 4th line energy winger who can score some goals.

Because Appleton was good in the A last year Lemieux was meh. Appleton has a higher ceiling..Lemieux will never be more than a 4th line goon.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Because Appleton was good in the A last year Lemieux was meh. Appleton has a higher ceiling..Lemieux will never be more than a 4th line goon.
2017/18, AHL:

Points / game: Lemieux 0.84, Appleton 0.87
Goals / game: Lemieux 0.37, Appleton 0.29

Lemieux added another 3 goals and 5 points in 8 playoff games.

I like Appleton, but I think he could be groomed more for an NHL role.

Lemieux has shown more skill than a "4th line goon". He scored 73 goals in 102 games in his last two OHL seasons, which is about 49 goals per season (pro-rated to a 68 game season).

He clearly needs to check his discipline to make it at the NHL level, but he is a higher end prospect than you appear to think.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
He clearly needs to check his discipline to make it at the NHL level, but he is a higher end prospect than you appear to think.

He’s a fringe prospect that needs a big year in the AHL this year to stay relevant. I’m
Hoping he gets moved his summer before every team realizes he’s not good.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Claude Lemieux was the epitomy of a skilled player who played like a goon/weasel. I hope Brendan cleans up his act so we can have a skilled 3rd/4th liner who can play physically.

2017/18, AHL:

Points / game: Lemieux 0.84, Appleton 0.87
Goals / game: Lemieux 0.37, Appleton 0.29

Lemieux added another 3 goals and 5 points in 8 playoff games.

I like Appleton, but I think he could be groomed more for an NHL role.

Lemieux has shown more skill than a "4th line goon". He scored 73 goals in 102 games in his last two OHL seasons, which is about 49 goals per season (pro-rated to a 68 game season).

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Lemieux brings something the team lacks at times.. He brings the fire.. He brings attitude.. Hes a good pp guy.. Hes underrated by several people. I dont know why ppl try so hard to crap on the guy but to me, hes the ideal winger for Lowry..

Lemieux Lowry Copp would be fantastic.

Massively Agree. We need more sandpaper. There's just something about him, he makes the other team rage. People don't play as well when they're off their game. Look at what Reaves did to us in the Vegas series. I think Lemieux can be even better.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So let me get this straight: the Jets get rid of sandpaper like Thorburn and Peluso, put up their best season in franchise history, 2nd place in the NHL, including a run to the Conference Finals...and people are concluding this team doesn't have enough sandpaper?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We need sandpaper that can play.

I for one was very impressed with what Tanev did in his second season in that role. He consistently brought an agitating style on a nightly bases, looking for more of it next season.

I expect Lemieux to push for that role as well, this season. I think he will put the work in the offseason, if he can continue to improve his quickness, similar to the improvements he made last offseason, he will have a shot.

If he doesn’t make this team outa training camp, I forsee a trade request on his part.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So let me get this straight: the Jets get rid of sandpaper like Thorburn and Peluso, put up their best season in franchise history, 2nd place in the NHL, including a run to the Conference Finals...and people are concluding this team doesn't have enough sandpaper?
Sandpaper with some skill and speed is different than Peluso or Thorburn. And I do think the Jets could use a bit more of that, especially in the playoffs.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We may have a good opportunity to move Perreault this year, and if we sign Stastny maybe Little.

I think Perreault to Ottawa could work.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Lemieux has great hands(watch his highlights if you don’t agree), he has a great motor that makes him work hard when he’s on the ice, he’s extremely strong and is one of the best skaters in our franchise. I think Lemiuex has the versatility to be Copp, Thorburn and Tanev all in one, he’s the ideal LW 3rd liner that any team in the league would love to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moon Man

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Chevy needs to trade 1 of his rd. Roslovic and Perreault will need a winger. Of coarse they should get more back then 1 piece but the main piece coming back should be a 2nd/3rd line winger/Centre. I don't ever want to see copp Tanev or armia and especially armia play with skilled players next year. These are all 4th liners and nothing more. Not to mention poolman should play next year. Will be very disappointed if myers or trouba are not traded by July 2nd.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Chevy needs to trade 1 of his rd. Roslovic and Perreault will need a winger. Of coarse they should get more back then 1 piece but the main piece coming back should be a 2nd/3rd line winger/Centre. I don't ever want to see copp Tanev or armia and especially armia play with skilled players next year. These are all 4th liners and nothing more. Not to mention poolman should play next year. Will be very disappointed if myers or trouba are not traded by July 2nd.

You had me at the bolded. I would be very happy if the team decided to move on from Armia and get whatever they can for him. Too soft, no finish. Re-sign him, and I think a better player is kept down on the farm.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Armia's 5v5 production was on par with a 2nd line forward last season. 159th in P/60, 129th in G/60, 149th in Primary Points/60.

Other players in his range at Primary Points/60 (1.31 +/- 0.01): Burakovsky, Haula, Guentzel, Stewart, Parise, Tuch, Saad, Jarnkrok, Grabner, Leipsec, Di Giuseppe.
Other players in his range at Goals/60 (all at 0.77): Couturier, RNH, Marner, Niederreiter, Hornqvist. Vrana.

I wouldn't object to him filling in higher up the lineup in a pinch.

Tanev's a legit 4th liner, though.

Reactions: Jack722 and surixon

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Lemieux has great hands(watch his highlights if you don’t agree), great he has a great motor that makes him work hard when he’s on the ice, he’s extremely strong and is one of the best skaters in our franchise. I think Lemiuex has the versatility to be Copp, Thorburn and Tanev all in one, he’s the ideal 3rd liner LW’er that any team in the league would love to have.

This, I also think we need a guy that gets under the other teams skin and isnt afraid to jump in pile and pull someone out (we have Buff, but I'd rather Lemieux be that guy to keep Buff out of the box as much as possible). If Lemieux can clean up his act and play a more disciplined game (cut down on the stupid penalties) he could be and effective 3/4th line player. I'm hoping Hendricks retires and becomes some sort of coach with us, he could help Lemieux alot i feel.

Reactions: thegr8one66

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This, I also think we need a guy that gets under the other teams skin and isnt afraid to jump in pile and pull someone out (we have Buff, but I'd rather Lemieux be that guy to keep Buff out of the box as much as possible). If Lemieux can clean up his act and play a more disciplined game (cut down on the stupid penalties) he could be and effective 3/4th line player. I'm hoping Hendricks retires and becomes some sort of coach with us, he could help Lemieux alot i feel.

This is a huge part of what was missing for the Jets in the playoffs. Our forwards seemed afraid/uninterested in mucking it up in front of the oppsoign team's net and getting under opposing teams' skin throughout the playoffs. It is so easy to get into Fleury's head but there was zero effort made to do so. We made his life super easy.

Reactions: Moon Man

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff when asked if he needs to move out some salary with their nine pending restricted free agents

“The Reality is, now we have our hard number to work off, and there’s going to be some cold, hard realities that we may have to face depending on how these other contracts come into place. So we have to be prepared for anything.”

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Sandpaper with some skill and speed is different than Peluso or Thorburn. And I do think the Jets could use a bit more of that, especially in the playoffs.

I agree -

One thing I noticed missing in the PO's this year (especially the Vegas series) was net front presence - we don't do that very well and Lemieux does it very well. Frenchie made an effort but team effort in front (over all) was weak.

I'd really like to see more of Lemieux this fall - I don't associate this guy with "goon" at all - more of a reaonably skilled agitator.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Teams will be much more inclined to trade next years draft picks for pieces that can help them this year. I figured draft day trades would have been hard to make as the asking price would have been big. Chevy mentioned that the value of those picks are at a high during that time and that doesn't sound like a stock Chevy would be paying a premium for.

So now that the draft is over Chevy may have an easier time striking a trade for draft picks in next years draft. Especially for teams that may have been looking for a Dougie Hamilton or Noah Hanifin. And you got to think the analytics darlings would be interested in a Matthieu Perreault. Hate to lose him or Myers but it is what it is. We cannot pay a 3rd pairing defenseman or 3rd line winger what these guys are making going forward.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Chevy could somehow , someway , trade our 4.1 million dollar , i can't believe he's injured again , back-up . It would definitely help with our cap this season .:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad