Salary Cap: Armchair Jets GM

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Running out of ELCs... Agree. That's why I think the Jets should trade Myers and Perreault in the next 12 months for 2019 picks / prospects to replenish. Buff becomes an important expiring contract.

Little's contract might hurt in a few years.

Little's contract hurts next year...

Myers this year then Kulikov next year for salary dump IMO.

Reactions: sipowicz

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Fredrick Anderson signed a 5 yrsr 5 million contract with Toronto 2 years ago after being ttaded from Anahiem.

Hellybuck 5 yrs 5.25 mill.

Morrissey 6-7 years at 5.25 mill using Carolina s Peece and Slavin as the most recent comparables.

Trouba 4-5 year 6.1 mill contact (higher than Morrissey due to less R.F.A. years on contract) not exceeding Schiefs $$$

Lowery 4 years @ 2.75 mill

Armia 3-4 years at 2.2 mill
These look very accurate. I have budgeted 22 million of our ~26m cap space towards these five, which is only a million more than what you are suggesting.

Suppose we are keeping our currently signed players and signing the aforementioned five. We are then missing three roster players (2F+1D), which will set us back another 2.5-3m. After that, we are left with a full roster and absolutely no wiggle room. The unfortunate part is that we would face rough performance bonus overage penalties in 19-20, which is a total no-go with all the extensions we have to give out then. There has to be a move - just to make the financial stuff work.

Reactions: Bob E

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think it’s the 4th line guys that let us down,if Lowry was healthy that changes the whole line.It was Ehlers,Little,Perreault and Roslovic that we needed more out of.

Nobody scored in that last series.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Let's give this a shot. With a cap of 80 million, we have 25.6 million of cap space.

- Trouba gets 6
- Morrissey gets 5
- Hellebuyck gets 5
- Armia and Lowry combined get 5.5
(- 500k of wiggle room reserved for those five, because I might be seriously lowballing somebody one of the big three)
- at least two forwards and a defenseman are needed to fill out the roster. Assume that ELCs and cheap replacement level guys will be used, which probably sets us back another 2.5-3 million.

Boom goes the cap space. Literally under a million left with a 22-man roster in place. This begs the question: how are we coping with performance bonuses? Laine is going to hit 2.65 again, and between Connor and Roslovic, there is potential for another million's worth of overage penalties eating away at our cap space in 19-20. (NB: there could be additional players potentially earning bonuses, should any of our other prospects play in the NHL next year. This mainly goes for Niku and Lemieux, both of whom have in excess of 100k in potential bonuses to earn.) We cannot let that happen, for the cap crunch of this year will be paling in comparison to that of next year's.

If Chevy wants to ensure that no overage penalties will be carried over to 19-20, we need almost 4m of cap room, if not more. Let's go through the usual suspects. We can achieve that by trading Myers and replacing him with a 'Poolman', which saves us just over 4 million. By trading Perreault or Mason (and repalcing them with cheap alternatives), we'd open up enough cap room for Laine's bonuses, but that won't be enough to cover everyone else's. Little's NMC makes him an automatic no-go in these talks. Armia does not get us enough relief on his own, but trading him could still be explored due to positional depth. That pretty much covers all of our reasonable options; obviously we could trade Trouba and be fine, but that would also be monumentally stupid and does not help this team at all.

Funnily enough, these bonuses might also be the reason why we might not see Vesalainen in the lineup in game 1 next year. His D+1 year has warranted some amount of performance bonuses, and I suspect that 'some' means quite a bit in this instance. It's a shame, but it is also the reality of the game.

Reactions: JetsFan815

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyone know when next seasons cap numbers will be officially released. I expected it to happen by now.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Quick question from a Canucks fan, does Lowry still play any center for you guys or is he exclusively a left wing now?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
He has been a C pretty much his entire time here. I can't recall the last time he played LW.

That's what I thought but I've seen him listed at LW certain places and at LW in Winnipeg fans' projected lineups for next season. Weird. Thanks for clarifying!

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Lowry doesn't get more than 2 mil a year and due to Armia's inconsistent play he can be replaced by a cheaper option either from the Moose or a UFA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lowry doesn't get more than 2 mil a year and due to Armia's inconsistent play he can be replaced by a cheaper option either from the Moose or a UFA.
Lowry should get 3-3.5m on a 4-5 year deal, and the Jets should be pleased. I think Armia could be moved, but if they can sign him for a few years at around 1.5-1.75m, they should do that. These are experienced and effective players that give the Jets mismatch advantages nearly every game.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Lowry should get 3-3.5m on a 4-5 year deal, and the Jets should be pleased. I think Armia could be moved, but if they can sign him for a few years at around 1.5-1.75m, they should do that. These are experienced and effective players that give the Jets mismatch advantages nearly every game.

I hope Lowry doesn't get more than 3m. I'm a fan of his but that's steep for a 3C/4C.

I know his metrics are fantastic.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
90 points in 281 games. You can't afford to overpay for him in the salary cap world. And yes I know he kills penalties but you can find much cheaper penalty killers.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
90 points in 281 games. You can't afford to overpay for him in the salary cap world. And yes I know he kills penalties but you can find much cheaper penalty killers.

At one point late in the season Lowry was #1 in the league in chances against. IE the best defensive numbers in the league. Playing against top lines. That's value.

He's not a scorer but his scoring rate is very decent considering he is one of the best shutdown centres in the league.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Because Ryan Stimson is a f!@#ing genius, I wanted to use the new viz he created recently with regards to his passing project over the pass few years. The following thread describes why I describe to his philosophy so much:

Anyways, some interesting things as it has related to my previous discussion the past little while...
LQwaco0.png

As described, Kyle Connor has been the recipient of the play of Scheifele and Wheeler, being in the top percentile of one timers (1T60) and shots passed from behind the net or across the slot (iDZ60). He has not created much of this himself. Yes - he's a goal scorer, there's no denying that. It's what the Jets will also point out with regards to his impact, pass qualities, and shot creation (and defense) that may result in him being bridged and bridged, while he fights for a long term contract. EDIT: Small sample size alert - ~300 of 1000 minutes for the 2017-18 season.

Pn9CEsD.png

Using Patrik Laine as an example, he is an all-around offensive machine, who probably doesn't pass as much as he should for the quality of shots he produces with his passes, but that's because his shots and individual impact are insane otherwise (except for defense). Small sample size alert for the 2017-18 season, however.

nWxdk4w.png

Trouba is also a machine and high quality chance producer and taker. I'd argue that because he faces more top caliber competition it isn't necessarily a surprise his relative shot suppression metric is lower than Myers, but clearly there is no question which right-handed defenseman is better. Once again, Myers value is at an all-time high this summer - a forward thinking front office would recoup assets instead of using Myers as a self-rental, though yes, there is no doubt he has an offensive impact as well. But we have lots of those and not enough time on ice to divvy that up.

You can all play around with the data here and make fun of my short hot takes: Tableau Public

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Schiefele
Stastny
Little
Lowry

Is probably the best 1 to 4 C in the league if Stastny signs.

He is the only missing link this coming year so the Jets will be lock and loaded again.

Connor Schiefele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Perrault Little Roslovic
Copp Lowry Armia
Tanev petan Dano

Vesalainen Lemiuex

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers
Chairot Morrow

Stanley

Hellybuyck
Mason

Comrie

Reactions: Moon Man

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If we are tight to the Cap this year at near max salary. We can use Injury Salary relief to pay for our bonus overage. We are bound to have some injuries over the course of the sesson that would cover the expected bonus payments of our E.L.C players. (Laine 2.6 million bonus ).

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-salary-cap-narrowed-to-between-79-80-million-1.1117603

Should be official soon, but... According to TSN Senior Hockey Writer Frank Seravalli, the cap has been narrowed to between $79 and $80 million, though there is still some deliberating. The initial projection is that player escrow withholding starts under 10 per cent for the first time since 2011-12.

4-5 million jump.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The real GM just finished 2nd in GM of the year voting. Well deserved by Chevy. Time to start signing some of those RFA's.

Reactions: ps241

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Schiefele
Stastny
Little
Lowry

Is probably the best 1 to 4 C in the league if Stastny signs.

He is the only missing link this coming year so the Jets will be lock and loaded again.

Connor Schiefele Wheeler
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Perrault Little Roslovic
Copp Lowry Armia
Tanev petan Dano

Vesalainen Lemiuex

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers
Chairot Morrow

Stanley

Hellybuyck
Mason

Comrie

A few edits for me..

Poolman is on the roster hopefully at the expense of Myers.
I don't see both Petan and Dano back.
I'd put Appleton ahead of Lemieux...way ahead.
Stanley is nowhere near the NHL and probably never will be.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A few edits for me..

Poolman is on the roster hopefully at the expense of Myers.
I don't see both Petan and Dano back.
I'd put Appleton ahead of Lemieux...way ahead.
Stanley is nowhere near the NHL and probably never will be.
Why do you put Appleton way ahead of Lemieux? I think Appleton needs more AHL seasoning, especially if they see any future for him at C. I think Lemieux is ready to be a 4th line energy winger who can score some goals.

Reactions: Moon Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad