Salary Cap: Armchair Jets GM

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like the idea of having cost controlled depth pieces on D to be ready for injuries. The Cap is going to force us to ice a much less expensive bottom pair. Wouldn’t it be awesome if Niku grows into a top 4 D man while he is on his ELC over the next two seasons.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know people keep talking about moving out defenseman, but I don't think any of them are going anywhere. Exception is Toby who I think officially retires. After that we keep the rest, and as much as people won't like it Niku and Poolman will be # 8 and 9 because they are still waiver exempt. Way too much injuries to defenseman not to go at least 9 deep who you can insert into the lineup. Especially considering Kulikov's injury history.

Myers is pricey for a #3 RHD defenseman but I think he plays out the year and then the Jets look at resigning him for a more manageable cap hit after that.

I just see us in a contending now window and Chevy won't leave himself without enough defenseman. It was necessary last season to have depth, and we have had way worse years for the health of our defenseman group. Both Niku and Poolman will get their games and will push out other players once they are clearly better or their contract status forces a roster decision over another defenseman.

My call:

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Chiarot

Niku/Poolman

Reactions: Guffman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting that Murat Ates (The Athletic) suggests that the Jets might have 5-6 players filing for salary arbitration (June 15).

He thinks that depending on how the Jets want to organize their cap and their interest in re-signing Stastny, arbitration for a number of non-core players might work out well for the Jets salary situation, at least in the short term.

He indicated that Morrissey, Trouba and Hellebuyck are 3 players that the Jets would be better to sign long term, rather than arbitration (Morrissey isn't eligible for arbitration). That would leave players like Poolman, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Tanev...

Article here, if you have a subscription... What if every arbitration-eligible Winnipeg Jet chose to...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting that Murat Ates (The Athletic) suggests that the Jets might have 5-6 players filing for salary arbitration (June 15).

He thinks that depending on how the Jets want to organize their cap and their interest in re-signing Stastny, arbitration for a number of non-core players might work out well for the Jets salary situation, at least in the short term.

He indicated that Morrissey, Trouba and Hellebuyck are 3 players that the Jets would be better to sign long term, rather than arbitration (Morrissey isn't eligible for arbitration). That would leave players like Poolman, Lowry, Copp, Armia, Tanev...

Article here, if you have a subscription... What if every arbitration-eligible Winnipeg Jet chose to...

It wouldn't surprise me to see them let the arbitrator award 1 or two year deals for Armia, Tanev and Poolman etc. I doubt they want to go through it with Lowry though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me to see them let the arbitrator award 1 or two year deals for Armia, Tanev and Poolman etc. I doubt they want to go through it with Lowry though.
If a player elects arbitration, I think the team selects the term. They could select 1 year to keep more control. The risk for the Jets is that a player has a great season and boosts value for the next contract, but with the Jets in their competitive window it's hard to see that as a bad thing for the Jets.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I know people keep talking about moving out defenseman, but I don't think any of them are going anywhere. Exception is Toby who I think officially retires. After that we keep the rest, and as much as people won't like it Niku and Poolman will be # 8 and 9 because they are still waiver exempt. Way too much injuries to defenseman not to go at least 9 deep who you can insert into the lineup. Especially considering Kulikov's injury history.

Myers is pricey for a #3 RHD defenseman but I think he plays out the year and then the Jets look at resigning him for a more manageable cap hit after that.

I just see us in a contending now window and Chevy won't leave himself without enough defenseman. It was necessary last season to have depth, and we have had way worse years for the health of our defenseman group. Both Niku and Poolman will get their games and will push out other players once they are clearly better or their contract status forces a roster decision over another defenseman.

My call:

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Chiarot

Niku/Poolman

If we carry 9D expect Dano and Petan to be moved ad I think it's unlikely both clear waivers though you never know.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

My call:

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Chiarot

Niku/Poolman

So you have both Niku and Poolman in the AHL to start?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If we carry 9D expect Dano and Petan to be moved ad I think it's unlikely both clear waivers though you never know.
I expect us to carry 7 D, with Niku and Poolman starting on the Moose due to being waiver exempt. Assuming everyone is healthy which is a big if. I think they do keep Petan around as a 13/14 forward and Dano to be gone.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So you have both Niku and Poolman in the AHL to start?
Yep. IMO at least Chevy will try to hold onto as many NHL caliber defenseman as possible and those are the 2 that can go back and forth to the A. I see the Jets less about developing and more now about positioning for playoff runs. You shave yourself too thin on the backend then you are forced to dress players well below NHL level if you get hit bad by injuries. Both Niku and Poolman will no doubt get NHL games along the way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep. IMO at least Chevy will try to hold onto as many NHL caliber defenseman as possible and those are the 2 that can go back and forth to the A. I see the Jets less about developing and more now about positioning for playoff runs. You shave yourself too thin on the backend then you are forced to dress players well below NHL level if you get hit bad by injuries. Both Niku and Poolman will no doubt get NHL games along the way.

So then you have something like this in the AHL:

Niku Poolman
Melchiori Green
Stankey Nogier

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Good Thread, Chevy has a lot of work to do this summer. We've got a team that can compete, and our window is now. Also, he has a tonne of contracts up, and rising salaries are going to cause him to make some hard decisions.

Where I see the big challenge is, how good is Chevy able to keep the current team strong right now to compete for a cup, WHILE hopefully not only not sacrificing the future, but hopefully adding some very young pieces to become future plus contributors on ELC's.

We've had the great fortune to not only have players like Trouba and Scheifele play well above their contracts as RFA/UFA players, but we've had an embarrassment of value in our ELC deals (Morrissey, Laine, Ehlers, Connor). Trouba, and most of those other 4 will be making well over their current contracts soon. Besides Roslo (who has 2 years of ELC left), we really only have Vesa as a possible elite young guy who can come in and play well above ELC value on his ELC. Guys like Appleton, Niku, Lemieux will make the jump soon, but I don't see them in the tier of of previous ELC guys who vastly outplayed their ELC's.

So I will be interested to see if Chevy can keep the team strong in the present, but possibly make a move or two to keep the talent coming in. Because in the future when Wheeler, Buff, Little, Perreault, etc are gone, the new old guard is Scheifele, Trouba, etc. I'd hope that when those guys are in their late 20's that we have guys outperforming their ELC's to help them just like they did when they were on their ELC's.

Reactions: Jack722

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One would hope if Wheeler is asking for 5 + he is not asking for 7mil a year. Maybe 7mil for first 2 years than dropping down to 6 or 5. I would definitely not sign for more money if I was Chevy.

I think that if Wheeler decides to do us a favour and sign a team friendly deal the AAV starts at 7. The shorter term may be more important and the shorter it is, the higher the AAV will be. Maybe he does 3x8. Low/mid fives are a fantasy.

Reactions: surixon

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I hope the Jets roster looks like:
Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Perrault-Roslovic-Little
Copp-Lowry-Tanev/Armia
Dano/Tanev/Armia

Morrisey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Kulikov-Poolman
Morrow

Hellebuyck
Hutton

Myers and Mason both moved for picks/prospects and CAP space more importantly.

Moose bound: Vesalainen, Lemieux, Suess, Harkins, Spacek, Appleton, De Leo, Petan, Lipon

Moose D-core:

Samberg-Bouchard/Boqvist/Dobson/Hughes/Smith/Wilde (aquired in trade with EDM for Myers+X which is likley Armia, and/or Tanev and/or Dano)
Schilling-Green
Stanley-Nogier

I want Roslovic to get time at C this year and having Perrault and Little on his wings adds versitility as Little can step in and take face-offs or be moved there if Ros is struggling but that's the one thing from last year I was choked Maurice didn't try (Ros at C) especially when our C's were all hurt. Had we have done that, and seen if Ros could handle it we'd know whether or not he could handle the 2C role and if Stastny wasn't needed. Vesalainen likely on the Moose doesn't last and he'd get called up and thrown on the 4th line because...well Maurice does that.

Reactions: tbone1968

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd sign him for depth without even blinking. He seems to be a "Buff whisperer".

Forget the whispering. Just sign him as a cheap depth D - without even blinking. I don't understand why this is even a question.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
On SiriusXM NHL today they were talking Artemi Panarin extending for 8x9. I sure hope they are overestimating the salary inflation. He will be a UFA when his current contract expires but even allowing for that, if he gets 9 then Laine needs at least 10, maybe more.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
On SiriusXM NHL today they were talking Artemi Panarin extending for 8x9. I sure hope they are overestimating the salary inflation. He will be a UFA when his current contract expires but even allowing for that, if he gets 9 then Laine needs at least 10, maybe more.
On the 31 Thoughts podcast a couple weeks ago, they interviewed a player agent (don't recall who). One thing that stuck with me is that he said agents tend to negotiate a players' worth based his the value to the team he plays on, not necessarily to comparables around the league.

Maybe I'm being willfully optimistic here, but if thats the case, Laine is not necessarily in the same salary range as Panarin. Panarin is in a class by himself in Columbus, whereas Laine is one of four scoring wingers on the Jets.

I'm still hoping Laine comes in around $8.5-9M.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
On the 31 Thoughts podcast a couple weeks ago, they interviewed a player agent (don't recall who). One thing that stuck with me is that he said agents tend to negotiate a players' worth based his the value to the team he plays on, not necessarily to comparables around the league.

Maybe I'm being willfully optimistic here, but if thats the case, Laine is not necessarily in the same salary range as Panarin. Panarin is in a class by himself in Columbus, whereas Laine is one of four scoring wingers on the Jets.

I'm still hoping Laine comes in around $8.5-9M.
In two seasons on the Jets, Patrik Laine already has the top two seasons in terms of goals scored for all Winnipeg Jets 2.0, and is 5th and 9th in terms of total points. At ages 18 and 19.

Not sure I want to see another season of him crushing other Jets in statistical categories and rise his price up even further.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

My call:

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kulikov-Myers
Chiarot

Niku/Poolman

As it stands this echoes my own sentiment. Only a trade will prevent this from being our opening day roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad