Armchair GMs II: Potential Red Wings Ideas & Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Any GM who takes the time to research him would love him. Leads Detroit D men in corsi for %, only Detroit D man with an expected goals for % above 50, is top 10 in the NHL for dcorsi impact amongst D men. He is good. People hold grudges for plays he has made in the past. Exhibit A: his turnover to Ryan Smyth many years ago.

Mostly sheltered minutes, no regards for defensive positioning whatsoever, but very good on the rush.

So I could see how he might seem to affect posession positively, but he is pretty much garbage overall.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Mostly sheltered minutes, no regards for defensive positioning whatsoever, buy very good on the rush.

So I could see how he might seem to affect posession positively, but he is pretty much garbage overall.

Very good on the rush? He has shown absolutely nothing resembling a decent offensive game in this league despite getting sheltered zone starts and playing against weaker competition

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
keepers
datsyuk
zetterberg
nyquist or tatar
sheahan
abdelkader
larkin
richards
kronwall
dekeyser
green
mrazek

every other forward or dman or(goalie) on the roster should be available and moved for a true top pairing dman with the appropriate prospect and picks included as well

if we cant or dont do that then it dosent matter what else we do all season as it wont be enough this year or in the years to come

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Mostly sheltered minutes, no regards for defensive positioning whatsoever, buy very good on the rush.

Very good on the rush? He has shown absolutely nothing resembling a decent offensive game in this league despite getting sheltered zone starts and playing against weaker competition

That's not true at all, he does contribute to the rush pretty decently. Frk It is basically 100% in his summation of Smith.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Deadline:
Trade Helm (2nd), Abdelkader (1st), and one of Smith/KFQ/Kindl for picks and prospects

At the end of this year:

Trade Howard for picks and prospects.

Use the new influx of assets to trade for a young defender.

Something like 2 1sts, a good prospect and a throw in middle prospect pick should get a good young defender at the draft.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Deadline:
Trade Helm (2nd), Abdelkader (1st), and one of Smith/KFQ/Kindl for picks and prospects

At the end of this year:

Trade Howard for picks and prospects.

Use the new influx of assets to trade for a young defender.

Something like 2 1sts, a good prospect and a throw in middle prospect pick should get a good young defender at the draft.

Maybe Parallel-Universe Holland does this. This-Universe Holland laughs and trades a 1st for Tootoo because veteran presence.

That said this draft really only has 2-3 elite defense prospects.

It's lottery time.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Maybe Parallel-Universe Holland does this. This-Universe Holland laughs and trades a 1st for Tootoo because veteran presence.

That said this draft really only has 2-3 elite defense prospects.

It's lottery time.

Well, I think this is the only realistic way that Detroit is able to pick up a d-man, because no one team wants what the Wings have, but by collecting the currency of big trades, high draft picks and prospects, they can make a package and address at least one big need, IE a young top pairing d-man.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I hope we Abdelkader. I don't see anyone on this roster filling his roll to the same degree of success.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If you could flip Abdelkader for a top pairing D-man would you?

Of course, but the only way you could flip Abdelkader for a top pairing d-man is if he was part of a package... At that point, package someone else unless someone is coming back that can fill his role.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Smith pretty much gains the zone at will towards the end of games.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If you could flip Abdelkader for a top pairing D-man would you?

In a vacuum? of course. but....this is a silly question. Who is trading a 1st pairing dman for a complementary scoring/physical winger/pending UFA ?

Abdelkader brings a lot of internal value to this team, but his external value would be that of a pick in 20-40 range.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Smith is good.

I won't say good but not nearly as bad as people around here think he is. Smith's problem has been a few of his bonehead plays have really hurt us whereas some other guys make the same play and get away unscathed.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Of course, but the only way you could flip Abdelkader for a top pairing d-man is if he was part of a package... At that point, package someone else unless someone is coming back that can fill his role.

In a vacuum? of course. but....this is a silly question. Who is trading a 1st pairing dman for a complementary scoring/physical winger/pending UFA ?

Abdelkader brings a lot of internal value to this team, but his external value would be that of a pick in 20-40 range.

My hypothetical was that they trade him, Helm and Howard for picks and prospects and then use some of those pieces to bring back a young stud D-man. The rest of it can either be used to draft or trade for a cheaper Abby replacement.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not sure if he's available, but really like the idea of bringing in Mark Streit.

Playing 23 minutes a night, makes our transition game way better, can play right side, may come cheaper because he's old.

Kronwall-Streit
Dekeyser-Green
Quincey-E/Smith

That'd 3 damn good puck movers in your top 4, and Danny is solid too.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Not sure if he's available, but really like the idea of bringing in Mark Streit.

Playing 23 minutes a night, makes our transition game way better, can play right side, may come cheaper because he's old.

Kronwall-Streit
Dekeyser-Green
Quincey-E/Smith

If we're going with cheap rentals at the deadline, I'd rather have Hamhuis personally.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Kronwall-Streit
Dekeyser-Green
Quincey-E/Smith

Streit is so old... getting him solves nothing

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
The Wings would be very wise to go after Zaitsev. He'd really help the blueline going forward. Only 24. Good size at 6'2 200lbs. Maybe he'd like to play with Dats?

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Ugh I wonder if Kenny will go after anyone? this has been sad lately... maybe if this continues he will make a move at the deadline like he did when he traded for Legwand:naughty:

Actual Thought*

Ugh I wonder if Kenny will go after anyone? this has been sad lately... maybe if this continues he will make a move at the deadline like he did when he traded for Legwand:naughty:

I think Mr Holland may be selling at the deadline this year.

Actual Thought*

My mind can't comprehend Kenny selling... :speechles

We haven't missed the playoffs in 24 years. Of course you don't sell going into the playoffs. We will know in the next couple of weeks but I don't think it is looking very promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad