Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Post your terrible ideas here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Since I have no life, I decided to armchair GM again!

Vegas selects Matt Stajan in the expansion draft

Signings:
Michael Stone 3 years $3.85M AAV
Chad Johnson 2 years $1.9M AAV
Paul Postma 1 year $1.25M AAV
Sam Bennett 2 years $2.5M AAV
Micheal Ferland 3 years $1.85M AAV
Curtis Lazar 2 years $850k AAV
Brett Kulak 1 year $775k AAV
Jon Gillies 2 years $800k AAV
David Rittch 1 year $700k AAV
Tyler Wotherspoon - QO
Alex Chiasson 1 year $1.1M AAV
Garnet Hathaway 1 year $750k AAV

Trades:
To NYR:
2018 2nd round pick
Hunter Shinkaruk
To CGY:
Antti Raanta

To COL:
Tyler Wotherspoon
To CGY:
2018 5th round pick

CGY retains 2018 3rd round pick for not re-signing Brian Elliott
CGY loses 2018 5th round pick for re-signing Michael Stone

2018 draft picks: CGY 1st, CGY 3rd, CGY 4th, FLA 4th, COL 5th, CGY 6th, CGY 7th

2017-18 Opening day line-up:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar/Chiasson/Klimchuk
Bouma-Jankowski-Lazar/Chiasson/Klimchuk
Ex: F.Hamilton, Hathaway/Klimchuk

Giordano-D.Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Postma
Ex: Bartkowski

Raanta
Johnson

Cap Hit: $64,800,400
Bonuses: $1,487,500
Cap Space: $6,712,100

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Canes are very deep on D, and on the right side they have Faulk and Pesce, so Nakladal was battling with Tennyson and Murphy for the last spot. Both younger and more NHL experience.
If Nakladal was so good why did he clear waivers after he **** the bed in Carolina? Hint: It's because he's not an NHL calibre regular, he's a 30 year old tweener.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Who needs Nakladal when you have Bartkowski, straight out of NHL-caliber Providence Bruins...

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
If Nakladal was so good why did he clear waivers after he **** the bed in Carolina? Hint: It's because he's not an NHL calibre regular, he's a 30 year old tweener.

lol who said he was "so" good? All I did was ask if anyone thought the Flames should bring him back now that we don't have excess RHD.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lol who said he was "so" good? All I did was ask if anyone thought the Flames should bring him back now that we don't have excess RHD.
Why though? There are better options out there. Much better options. He's simply not the calibre of a regular NHL defenseman. Hell I'd rather have Andersson on the roster before him, at least he still has potential. Nak is what he is, a decent emergency recall and nothing more. Also consider that he refused to play in the AHL, instead of the long voyage from Raleigh to Charlotte he took his ball and went to Russia.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Some people seemed to like him, but yeah Tre should be able to find someone better.

The expansion draft should result in plenty of young, bottom pairing RHD options being available. Hopefully BT can snag one for a draft pick if Andersson isn't quite ready.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Who needs Nakladal when you have Bartkowski, straight out of NHL-caliber Providence Bruins...

Why are people so harsh on Bartkowski? He is what he is. He is a bottom pairing dman with some skating ability and some puck skills. He showed exactly that. I thought him and Engelland were just fine as a bottom pair. People need to chill out on their criticism of some of these Flames players and take them for what they are.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Treliving has to consider Fleury at this point. He was sleeping at the wheel on Darling and Bishop. The time to make a move is before the Ex. Draft - not after

Of course he is going to consider Fleury, just like he has been considering all the other goalie options out there. Sorry but he wasn't asleep at the wheel at all. Do you know anything about Treliving's tenure so far? He never rushes to make a move unless it makes sense. Do you truly believe that 6 years of Ben Bishop is a smart move? What's to say that he hasn't started a decline and that will end up being a big regret? What about Darling makes him the best option? Outside of Chicago does he perform well? That's a lot of money for a guy who probably carries the most risk of any of the options out there. If you don't think Treliving has a plan I think you need to spend a bit more time paying attention to how he operates. You can be sure he has a plan A, B, C, D, all the way through Z and if Bishop or Darling didn't end up in Calgary it's because he didn't want them to.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why are people so harsh on Bartkowski? He is what he is. He is a bottom pairing dman with some skating ability and some puck skills. He showed exactly that. I thought him and Engelland were just fine as a bottom pair. People need to chill out on their criticism of some of these Flames players and take them for what they are.

They cannot be a bottom pair for our team.
In the playoffs the Ducks exposed them due to Gully's inability to not send that dynamic duo out. If they weren't the ones getting scored on, they were the ones swinging momentum back in favour of the Ducks.

When the drop off in possession is +5% between your middle pair and your bottom pair, there's something to be said. We need some youth back there, we need some stability back there. The fact really is, that we cannot accept that as a bottom pair anymore. The NHL doesn't have room for an AHL-level 3rd pairing unless your coach is willing to only give them 15-18 minutes a night (combined), because the best teams in the league run so deep now. Calgary had to pick their poison against Anaheim (Getzlaf, Kessler & Perry on different lines) and they exposed us badly.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Not saying it will happen, nor I want it to happen. But if for some hypothetical reason the Flames wanted to tank for Dahlin, what are the trades they would do that at least gives them some value at the minimum back (So no Gaudreau for Girardi)?

For example one would be Monahan for Lindholm and Haydn Fleury.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Horrible idea alert, buckle up:

Vegas selects Bouma in expansion.

Trades:

to NYR:
Gaudreau
2018 2nd round pick
Shinkaruk

To CGY:
Kreider
Skjei
Raanta

to TBL:
Stajan
kylington

to CGY:
rights to Johnson
2017 Toronto 2nd round pick

New Signings:
Dwight King
Cody Franson

Kreider-Monahan-Johnson
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer
King-Jankowski-Lazar/Chiasson
Ex: F.Hamilton, Hathaway

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Skjei-Franson
Engelland (doubtful, but one can hope)

Raanta/Elliot (battle it out for #1)

rip it apart, didn't even look at cap implications.

-Gnome

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Horrible idea alert, buckle up:

Vegas selects Bouma in expansion.

Trades:

to NYR:
Gaudreau
2018 2nd round pick
Shinkaruk

To CGY:
Kreider
Skjei
Raanta

to TBL:
Stajan
kylington

to CGY:
rights to Johnson
2017 Toronto 2nd round pick

New Signings:
Dwight King
Cody Franson

Kreider-Monahan-Johnson
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer
King-Jankowski-Lazar/Chiasson
Ex: F.Hamilton, Hathaway

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Skjei-Franson
Engelland (doubtful, but one can hope)

Raanta/Elliot (battle it out for #1)

rip it apart, didn't even look at cap implications.

-Gnome

Tampa isn't accepting that.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

In the playoffs he managed to be a -5 in 4 games playing 13 minutes a game. That's not even counting "the change". If he's still on the team next season I think we will see more of that he really doesn't do anything well.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They cannot be a bottom pair for our team.
In the playoffs the Ducks exposed them due to Gully's inability to not send that dynamic duo out. If they weren't the ones getting scored on, they were the ones swinging momentum back in favour of the Ducks.

When the drop off in possession is +5% between your middle pair and your bottom pair, there's something to be said. We need some youth back there, we need some stability back there. The fact really is, that we cannot accept that as a bottom pair anymore. The NHL doesn't have room for an AHL-level 3rd pairing unless your coach is willing to only give them 15-18 minutes a night (combined), because the best teams in the league run so deep now. Calgary had to pick their poison against Anaheim (Getzlaf, Kessler & Perry on different lines) and they exposed us badly.

I agree that there is an upgrade needed, my point was that people should stop harping on them for expecting more. They are bottom pairing dmen, you get what you get. It's exactly why a lot of us are pushing for Andresson and Kulak to be on that pair next year instead of those two. I had no problem with Bartkowski in general and overall I thought Engelland performed quite well. They just aren't the answer.

Not saying it will happen, nor I want it to happen. But if for some hypothetical reason the Flames wanted to tank for Dahlin, what are the trades they would do that at least gives them some value at the minimum back (So no Gaudreau for Girardi)?

Please can you start cheering for other teams, or at least open your eyes to player value and get away from the hand someone shoots. There is ZERO chance the Flames should even consider giving up Monahan, let alone for a lesser player and very much a project D at this point simply because Lindholm is right handed. Did the Oilers deal Gretzky or Messier because they needed a right handed centre? Have the Pens? What about the Avs with Sakic and Forsberg? Silly, silly thinking.

Monahan is on the cusp of becoming another Jonathan Toews, why would you deal that? Did you see him against the Ducks? Or in all 3 seasons so far? Seriously man, you're supposed to be a fan of the team, you would think you would pay more attention to what they should or shouldn't do.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The largest concern Flames fans should have is the lack of AHL graduates in the last 3 years.

Zero D-men have moved up to join the club full time.
Neither Hathaway or Freddie have taken a full-time spot as forwards.

Youth should be filling the 5/6 slots in the d-core and the young forwards should be occupying regular spots in the bottom six and moving up the depth chart as they progress.

Many will state these "prospects" haven't shown what is needed to make the line-up but when you look at the underlying numbers both T-spoon and Kulak have had better numbers than Wideman.

Rather than playing has beens like Bollig, Bouma, or even Stajan for that matter it would be wiser for the team to be nurturing its youth.

Calgary only needs to sign a #4 d-man and a starting goalie for the upcoming season. Any combination of T-Spoon, Kulak, Andersson, and Kylington needs to be afforded the opportunity to fill the bottom spots.

Janko, Klimchuck, Prybil and Shinkaruk should be vying for roster spots and finally Gillies should be given a shot to back-up the starter.

Part of the malaise in the development of the younger players is they see no signs that they could be occupying slots on the big club.

Next Treliving needs to overhaul the way these players in the AHL are developed. Calgary needs development in the minors like Chicago and Toronto.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I agree that there is an upgrade needed, my point was that people should stop harping on them for expecting more. They are bottom pairing dmen, you get what you get. It's exactly why a lot of us are pushing for Andresson and Kulak to be on that pair next year instead of those two. I had no problem with Bartkowski in general and overall I thought Engelland performed quite well. They just aren't the answer.

Please can you start cheering for other teams, or at least open your eyes to player value and get away from the hand someone shoots. There is ZERO chance the Flames should even consider giving up Monahan, let alone for a lesser player and very much a project D at this point simply because Lindholm is right handed. Did the Oilers deal Gretzky or Messier because they needed a right handed centre? Have the Pens? What about the Avs with Sakic and Forsberg? Silly, silly thinking.

Monahan is on the cusp of becoming another Jonathan Toews, why would you deal that? Did you see him against the Ducks? Or in all 3 seasons so far? Seriously man, you're supposed to be a fan of the team, you would think you would pay more attention to what they should or shouldn't do.

Did you not read that I said some value in case we wanted to tank for Dahlin?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
to NYR:
Gaudreau
2018 2nd round pick
Shinkaruk

To CGY:
Kreider
Skjei
Raanta

to TBL:
Stajan
kylington

Let's assume Shinkaruk and the 2nd get you Raanta, you want to give up Gaudreau for Kreider and Skjei? No thanks. Give up an elite offensive winger for a 2nd pair D and a 1st/2nd line tweener winger that isn't an offensive catalyst. I like Kreider and would love him to play WITH Gaudreau, not in play. That still leaves a hole on the right side and takes away are most dominant (and only) offensive player. The rest of the offensive would lack creativity.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The largest concern Flames fans should have is the lack of AHL graduates in the last 3 years.

Zero D-men have moved up to join the club full time.
Neither Hathaway or Freddie have taken a full-time spot as forwards.

Youth should be filling the 5/6 slots in the d-core and the young forwards should be occupying regular spots in the bottom six and moving up the depth chart as they progress.

Many will state these "prospects" haven't shown what is needed to make the line-up but when you look at the underlying numbers both T-spoon and Kulak have had better numbers than Wideman.

Rather than playing has beens like Bollig, Bouma, or even Stajan for that matter it would be wiser for the team to be nurturing its youth.

Calgary only needs to sign a #4 d-man and a starting goalie for the upcoming season. Any combination of T-Spoon, Kulak, Andersson, and Kylington needs to be afforded the opportunity to fill the bottom spots.

Janko, Klimchuck, Prybil and Shinkaruk should be vying for roster spots and finally Gillies should be given a shot to back-up the starter.

Part of the malaise in the development of the younger players is they see no signs that they could be occupying slots on the big club.

Next Treliving needs to overhaul the way these players in the AHL are developed. Calgary needs development in the minors like Chicago and Toronto.

I agree with you on this one. But I don't think it's purely even just the has beens. Shinkaruk would get man handled in a bottom 6 role, and he isn't replacing anyone in the top 6. Janko just got here so we'll see what happens next year. Kylington isn't ready for the NHL. A lot of our prospects are so similar that when they click they can be deadly (Aka winning streaks in the AHL), but if they don't, everyone completely figures them out because of how similar they all play (And for that matter shoot as well).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This is like the 50th time you have proposed Monahan for Lindholm. Nobody wants to do it.

For the Flames to 'tank for Dahlin' we would have to move many of Gio, Hamilton, Brodie, Backlund, Gaudreau, Frolik for picks and prospects. That would be incredibly stupid, and would probably be the end of me cheering for this team.

Luckily, that scenario is completely outlandish and will never happen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is like the 50th time you have proposed Monahan for Lindholm. Nobody wants to do it.

For the Flames to 'tank for Dahlin' we would have to move many of Gio, Hamilton, Brodie, Backlund, Gaudreau, Frolik for picks and prospects. That would be incredibly stupid, and would probably be the end of me cheering for this team.

Luckily, that scenario is completely outlandish and will never happen.

Nah, to tank like that doesn't require trading those guys away. It just involves taking on buyout goalies like Niemi for picks/prospects and platooning him with a guy like Rittich.

Oh and have no RHD replacement other than Andersson in case of injuries. We need another RHD prospect IMO. Either via draft or trade.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The third pairing is Kulak-Engelland for me next year.

Unless Kulak gets picked. Then I donno :dunno:

Also, we can't trade Gaudreau. He's our offensive catalyst. Without him our team is pretty mediocre imo.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Let's assume Shinkaruk and the 2nd get you Raanta, you want to give up Gaudreau for Kreider and Skjei? No thanks. Give up an elite offensive winger for a 2nd pair D and a 1st/2nd line tweener winger that isn't an offensive catalyst. I like Kreider and would love him to play WITH Gaudreau, not in play. That still leaves a hole on the right side and takes away are most dominant (and only) offensive player. The rest of the offensive would lack creativity.

I think Skjei has a bright future and will grow quite a bit still. Kreider makes us bigger and tougher. If we could somehow bring in someone like Johnson for the RW role. I feel we have more balanced 1st line. I'm not sold on Gaudreau in the post season, he can put up a few points. But in general, come playoffs, his size makes him fairly ineffective. Small sample size obviously and against one, very large, team. So it's a risk, but Gaudreau comes off as a chicken **** to me. In that series, he was never first to the puck when he knew he'd get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad