Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Jagrbombs all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It is really a gong show with the Avs right now, concerning Matt Duchene, what do you guys think the Flames chances are of landing Matt Duchene? Is there any way we could land Matt Duchene? I think he would put us in the contenders club, up there with the best.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Regarding Duchene, I'd pass. I know he's unhappy there, but he's basically given up. Don't want someone with that attitude here.

Reactions: Cyrano

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’d be in the minority I guess; but assuming a reasonable cost; I’d be fine with Matt Duchene.

Calgary needs another big offensive piece.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I’d be in the minority I guess; but assuming a reasonable cost; I’d be fine with Matt Duchene.

Calgary needs another big offensive piece.

That's the issue, it won't be a reasonable cost. Also, if Calgary brings in Duchene, can they still afford to keep Backlund around?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's the issue, it won't be a reasonable cost. Also, if Calgary brings in Duchene, can they still afford to keep Backlund around?

Considering Sakic turned down Hamonic and a first... I don’t think the cost will be worth it either lol.

If Brouwer goes the other way, sure. I think Colorado would be looking for something like:
Bennett, Fox/Valimaki and a pick

I really do believe if Calgary added in one more threat; they’d be a cup contender. But that’s just me.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Considering Sakic turned down Hamonic and a first... I don’t think the cost will be worth it either lol.

If Brouwer goes the other way, sure. I think Colorado would be looking for something like:
Bennett, Fox/Valimaki and a pick

I really do believe if Calgary added in one more threat; they’d be a cup contender. But that’s just me.

I agree that having another 'big' threat up front could turn us into a contender. Is that guy Duchene? I'm not so sure.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly the Flames need to Bennett and Tkachuk to take a step forward. That won’t cost any assets and both those guys have a great attitudes.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not just about adding another threat, it's about adding a cost effective threat.

Duchene's cap hit is 6M for this season and the next. And then it's pretty much guaranteed to go up from there. So essentially, in addition to gross overpay it'd take to acquire him, you're now losing Backlund to free agency because there's simply not enough room.

All the Flames need is some developmental patience. They have the pieces in the system in Bennett, Tkachuk and Jankowski; they just need to figure out a way to get them to take the next steps offensively (in the latter's case, figure out how to clear some roster space).

There's a three year window right now; best not to shorten that by prematurely spending all your assets one a one dimensional left winger/centre like Duchene.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sooner or later Sakic (or whomever is pulling his strings) will realize that the longer they wait and the more of a distraction this becomes, the more it will negatively affect his trade value. As for whether or not we can afford it, it depends on what the package we give up is. If Brouwer is apart of the deal, then it becomes very possible, if not it becomes much more difficult.

The Flames currently have $58,092,167 tied up in the cap for next season. That's $17,838,290 in space, if the cap doesn't go up and the only major re-signing is Backlund. So let's assume Backlund signs a 6x6 Oilers special and we somehow acquire Duchene and the cap goes up an additional $2 million. The could give us the following line-up with $4,838,290 to fill the holes and with Jankowski, Kulak, F. Hamilton, Gillies and Hathaway as RFAs (that currently look to have a shot at being regulars in 2018-19):

Duchene - Monahan - Gaudreau
Jankowski (RFA) - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
_______ - Lazar - Brouwer
Hathaway (RFA) - F. Hamilton (RFA)

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak (RFA) - Stone
_______

Smith
Gillies (RFA)

If Jankowski signs for ~$1 million, Hathaway & F. Hamilton for the league minimum $650k and Kulak & Gillies in the ~750k range. That would still leave $1,038,290; this would not be enough to fill the two remaining roster spots. However if Brouwer were moved in the deal, it would be quite easy to make it work, It would even be possible if a little salary as Ferland was included (No, I'm not saying we should trade him).

TL;DR: If we move a minimum of $1.5 million in 2018-19 salary, we could probably make it work.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That would be pretty good. His contract is reasonable but still might put us in a cap crunch. We would have to offload Brouwer somewhere or risk not being able to sign Backlund.
James Neal would be a much more affordable target and will definitely be available at or before the deadline.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree that having another 'big' threat up front could turn us into a contender. Is that guy Duchene? I'm not so sure.

Well, Duchene is more or less a similar offensive piece as Monahan. Adding that to the team would really help us.

But I think we’re on the same page, another offensive talent would be great.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If somehow an agreement with the Avs take place, would anyone bring Colborne back as a project piece in terms of bringing salary back to help balance the numbers? (ie: Assuming we are able to include someone's long term salary going the other direction)

He's in the AHL anyways, but seems to enjoy playing for our club. A project we can leave in the AHL until seemingly ready.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If somehow an agreement with the Avs take place, would anyone bring Colborne back as a project piece in terms of bringing salary back to help balance the numbers? (ie: Assuming we are able to include someone's long term salary going the other direction)

He's in the AHL anyways, but seems to enjoy playing for our club. A project we can leave in the AHL until seemingly ready.

I shudder to think that our depth will ever be bad enough that we have to play Colborne in the NHL, but bringing the guy back just to play him in the minors seems weird. So a hard no for me

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I'm a well known Colborne fan, but there is simply no room for him on our roster. Perhaps next season if Versteeg doesn't return and the Avs are willing to eat a portion of his contract. But I think bridges were burned and don't feel it is a legitimate option for the Flames.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I shudder to think that our depth will ever be bad enough that we have to play Colborne in the NHL, but bringing the guy back just to play him in the minors seems weird. So a hard no for me

Actually, it's more like a Freddie idea. Acquire him for near nothing (negative actually in this situation) and put him in a situation where if he plays well enough in the A, he can play on the NHL roster. Let him play C in the minors as a project. He probably never hits the NHL, but it's at least it's an olive branch of sorts.

I'm a well known Colborne fan, but there is simply no room for him on our roster. Perhaps next season if Versteeg doesn't return and the Avs are willing to eat a portion of his contract. But I think bridges were burned and don't feel it is a legitimate option for the Flames.

Err, idea wise I was more thinking we eat Colborne's contract in lieu of retaining salary on Brouwer. Though I don't think Colborne's contract is enough dough to eat.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well, Duchene is more or less a similar offensive piece as Monahan. Adding that to the team would really help us.

But I think we’re on the same page, another offensive talent would be great.

I don't disagree regarding Duchene. I just think if you take into account his apparent acquisition cost, there are better options out there. Wheeler, Neal, Hornqvist should all come considerably cheaper.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Err, idea wise I was more thinking we eat Colborne's contract in lieu of retaining salary on Brouwer. Though I don't think Colborne's contract is enough dough to eat.
I'd keep Brouwer even at the extra cost. I get he's a whipping boy and people live to shit all over him here. But he is an effective penalty killer and will make big defensive plays. I think people forget just how incredibly valuable special teams are in todays NHL

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't disagree regarding Duchene. I just think if you take into account his apparent acquisition cost, there are better options out there. Wheeler, Neal, Hornqvist should all come considerably cheaper.

Well, one of those names is not like the others ;)

Wheeler would be an insane add for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad