Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So can we all agree that Fleury being shoved down our throats in trade proposals because 'we need a solid goalie' is getting pretty annoying?

The irony is that Fleury is one of eleven goalies among the thirty-five with 10+ games played who has an adj.FSV% that is negative. Meanwhile Chad Johnson has the 7th-best adj.FSV%.

Admittedly Elliott is bad right now though, he has the worst adj.FSV% among those thirty-five. But he has history on his side as one of the best goalies for a five year span in the league.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The irony is that Fleury is one of eleven goalies among the thirty-five with 10+ games played who has an adj.FSV% that is negative. Meanwhile Chad Johnson has the 7th-best adj.FSV%.

Admittedly Elliott is bad right now though, he has the worst adj.FSV% among those thirty-five. But he has history on his side as one of the best goalies for a five year span in the league.

I just wanna run with Johnson for the season. He's never been given a chance as starter but has excelled in his stretches where he does start.

But yeah, I've watched some of Fleury's games. He's been anywhere from good to abysmal.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Considering Engelland lives in Vegas in the off-season do you guys think he would be of interest to Vegas?
While I have nothing against Engelland, if he signs there it would save us from possibly losing Kulak or another younger player to Vegas.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I wouldn't be surprised if Engelland is traded at the deadline if he keeps up his play, given that Flames are out of playoffs at that time.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Considering Engelland lives in Vegas in the off-season do you guys think he would be of interest to Vegas?
While I have nothing against Engelland, if he signs there it would save us from possibly losing Kulak or another younger player to Vegas.

Vegas likely has zero interest in a 35 year old UFA #7 defenseman in the expansion draft. They would want younger players (Kulak, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Hathaway, and Jokipakka), or if they are taking a vet they want some term and AAV to fill their quota (Brouwer)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I wonder if we will look into trading Elliott at the deadline if Johnson is still the starter at that point.
Yes, I think we do. Whether there's any takers is another matter (but I'd love to recover that 2nd if possible)

Yes, I think they would. They wouldn't talk to him until he hits UFA, most likely, as they may want to poach someone else who may be exposed on the Flames.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It saddens me how people in our fanbase want to trade guys like Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton. Literally our three best defensive defensemen.

Our defensive problems are at forward and fourth/sixth defenseman (replace Wideman with Oduya and Engelland with Bieksa and Monahan with Jankowski and suddenly this is one of the best defensive teams in the league)

:laugh:

Did we warp back in time 8 years?
Oduya's not bad but within two years there's no way he doesn't decline, but Bieksa? Common.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Oduya's not bad but within two years there's no way he doesn't decline,

Within two years one of Kulak, Hickey, Kylington, or Andersson is in our top four. No one is giving Oduya term.

but Bieksa? Common.

#6Ds don't need to be great, they just need to be cheap and competent while the #5 (Kulak) carries them. Bieksa is an upgrade, I never said he's even very good. He will be bought out and looking for a job. He's had success on Gulutzan's PK when they were 2nd best in the league, and while he's lost a step and is no longer a top 4, he also isn't a natural #7/#8 yet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like I'm losing brain cells reading some of this crap that's been quoted.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Based upon any metrics that don't have Brett Kulak carrying Engelland.

You would rather have the 30/29th ranked PK in the league than not the 30/29th ranked PK in the league?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the biggest Bieksa fan. But any slight improvement at vet minimum cost is what this team needs on the bottom pair. Nothing over $1.0M and no one as bad at killing penalties as Engelland.

Engelland himself isn't the problem. The problem is that he shouldn't be on the PK to begin with. Neither should Bieksa.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd really prefer to never see Bieksa brought up in this GM thread ever again to be quite honest. I'd rather bring Regehr back.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Engelland himself isn't the problem. The problem is that he shouldn't be on the PK to begin with. Neither should Bieksa.

Okay fair enough position. But the point is that upgrading on Engelland should be easy and cheap despite the emotional attachment people have to him, and it will go a long way towards the improvement of the Flames' PK.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'm hoping for a two year/~7 million deal for Oduya this summer. Should be a perfect stop gap. 1 year would be better but I doubt he would sign for just 1 year. I'm a little too confident in the prospects to go throw 5 mil at Alzner with term.

I haven't really watched Bieksa since the playoff series vs the Nucks and he was ass then, but that may have been due to carrying Sbisa. I'd prefer Engelland at the vet min if I had to pick one. If Engelland could be next year's Grossmann I wouldn't complain.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Glad we stopped talking about how dumb acquiring Fleury would be so we could talk about how dumb acquiring Bieksa would be

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif.pagespeed.ce.1DWfEVGf67vsZimPZlI-.gif

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
> replace Engelland with Bieksa
> replace Monahan with Jankowski
> best defensive team in the league

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Our defensive problems are at forward and fourth/sixth defenseman (replace Wideman with Oduya and Engelland with Bieksa and Monahan with Jankowski and suddenly this is one of the best defensive teams in the league)

I woke up from a nap because my phone was going off. I saw it was Deebz messaging me a link to this thread. Instead of rolling over and going back to bed, I had to get up and respond to this ridiculous comment. In what ****ing world is Bieksa and improvement on Engelland? In what ****ing world is Jankowski an improvement on Sean Monahan? I'm with you on Oduya, I think he is still a solid defenseman.

But ****ing Mark Jankowski on the first line to replace Sean Monahan? BIEKSA?! Kevin "Ferkland or whatever his name is" Bieksa? Come on. Come the **** on. I like Jankowski, I am excited to see what he brings to the Flames sooner rather than later (see: my username for the last several seasons), but his potential is not a 1C, and he is not going to replace Sean Monahan.

Someone asked for metrics/stats to show HOW Bieksa is an improvement on Engelland, and not only are you not providing it, but I don't think there is any empirical ****ing evidence to prove such a ridiculous assertion. There is just... nothing.

****ing Kevin Bieksa... Jesus Hussein Christ.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yeah OKG, I have to thoroughly disagree with the notion that Bieksa > Engelland. Since 2015-16, Engelland is better at suppressing shots and scoring chances at 5v5. He doesn't drive offense as much but his defensive game more than makes up for it. Bieksa has played more (~2 more minutes per game at 5v5) but he's failed in that role.

Also, Engelland isn't good by any means at 4v5, but Bieksa is not an improvement. Engelland gives up more attempts against, but way fewer shots, and less quality shots against relative to Bieksa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad