Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
but-why.gif

Just a feeling, Pred's need signed centre's, that aren't pushing 40 and we need a top 4 defensive defenseman. I think RyJo's contract demands might make them a little gun shy and our management, faced with another disappointing season, might make a knee jerk, statement trade.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think management decides to shift gears in the rebuild and we end up moving Monahan for RyJo. It probably turns into a blockbuster if Janko impresses. Something like Monahan, Backlund + Jokipakka for Johansen + Ekholm.

Monahan rebounds next year, we extend RyJo to a higher average than Monny and the whole deal ends up being lateral, at best.

Monahan for Johansen would not be lateral. Johansen is a right shot which alone makes him an upgrade to our PP setups. I also think he is better in general but like Monahan he is highly flawed too.

Backlund for Ekholm is interesting, though I think we have a lot more D in the system who can be a competent #4 than any centres including Bennett or Jankowski who are ready to fill Backlund's role as our top all-situations veteran centre. I would rather go into a season and gamble on Hickey / Kulak, / Kylington / Andersson to be Brodie's partner in a pseudo second pair role than go into a season without Backlund or an upgrade on Backlund down the middle. Pity we don't have Patrice Bergeron who is basically rich man's Backlund with Monahan's offensive talent and a right shot to boot. Would sure kill three birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Monahan for Johansen would not be lateral. Johansen is a right shot which alone makes him an upgrade to our PP setups. I also think he is better in general but like Monahan he is highly flawed too.

Backlund for Ekholm is interesting, though I think we have a lot more D in the system who can be a competent #4 than any centres including Bennett or Jankowski who are ready to fill Backlund's role as our top all-situations veteran centre. I would rather go into a season and gamble on Hickey / Kulak, / Kylington / Andersson to be Brodie's partner in a pseudo second pair role than go into a season without Backlund or an upgrade on Backlund down the middle. Pity we don't have Patrice Bergeron who is basically rich man's Backlund with Monahan's offensive talent and a right shot to boot.

Bergeron is one of the best two way, defensive centre's in the game, has been for a long time and a legit #2 centre. Backlund isn't comparable and he's way closer to Stajan, than he is to Bergeron. Backlund is a #3C and any team with him in the top 6, putting up his 30 points and change, will not be successful.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bergeron is one of the best two way, defensive centre's in the game, has been for a long time and a legit #2 centre. Backlund isn't comparable and he's way closer to Stajan, than he is to Bergeron. Backlund is a #3C and any team with him in the top 6, putting up his 30 points and change, will not be successful.

Backlund has been scoring at 40+ point pace for two seasons now, and is playing even better this season. If a good team put him on their PP unit and gave him a good team's top six wingers, he'd score a lot more than 40 points. His points are less important than the fact that his line consistently beats the other team's line when they're out there.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Backlund has been scoring at 40+ point pace for two seasons now, and is playing even better this season. If a good team put him on their PP unit and gave him a good team's top six wingers, he'd score a lot more than 40 points. His points are less important than the fact that his line consistently beats the other team's line when they're out there.

He's 27 and has broken 40 points once in his career and he isn't on pace for 40 this year. Stajan does a similar job, with top 6 minutes. I know guys love him on this board but he's massively overrated amongst many Flames fans.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Stajan really isn't anywhere near as good as Backlund and to even suggest they're close is ridiculous. One's playing like the team's best centre, the other finally managed to move off the fourth line.

Backlund being a poor mans Bergeron is entirely accurate and it's quite odd to find that statement controversial in any way.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's 27 and has broken 40 points once in his career and he isn't on pace for 40 this year. Stajan does a similar job, with top 6 minutes. I know guys love him on this board but he's massively overrated amongst many Flames fans.

He's not overrated. Overrated would be someone who puts up points but causes a lot of goals against at the same time, or is carried by linemates. Backlund is rated by the fanbase exactly because we watch him and are aware of the effect he has on the team. If anything, he is severely underrated by stat watchers. He is probably our current best forward with Gaudreau out.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Stajan really isn't anywhere near as good as Backlund and to even suggest they're close is ridiculous. One's playing like the team's best centre, the other finally managed to move off the fourth line.

Backlund being a poor mans Bergeron is entirely accurate and it's quite odd to find that statement controversial in any way.

Funny how Stajan looks a lot better with Bennett on his wing, I'm sure Frolik wouldn't hurt either. Can't wait for this team to finally move on from the Backlunds and Stajans of the world, instead of moving guys like Bennett to the wing.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Funny how Stajan looks a lot better with Bennett on his wing, I'm sure Frolik wouldn't hurt either. Can't wait for this team to finally move on from the Backlunds and Stajans of the world, instead of moving guys like Bennett to the wing.

You want to move on from Backlund?? I don't understand why people still don't like him especially after the start to the season he has having. Backlund is a 2nd line C on a contender IMO.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The most odd part of that post may actually be that Patrice Bergeron, a top 5 centre in the NHL, is a #2 centre.

Bergeron is a #1 who plays a very defensive role. He doesn't get the point totals other centers who aren't relied on as heavily defensively do so people assume he's a #2.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

Wait, what??!! You're comparing the ~40 point, shutdown centre, elite PK'er, and possession monster to the ~20 point Stajan? C'mon man.

I'd hate to see what this teams record is without Backlund on our team this year, but you want to move on from him?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In response to your quote, we have a team President who uses the adage "if Gretzky can be traded, then anyone can be traded." all the time. So of course his GM is listening to offers, he wouldn't have a job if he didn't listen to every offer on every player. This does not mean there are counter proposals or negotiating on the part of Treliving. Of course of he gets his "Shea Weber for PK Subban" offer, he may very well accept. But until that happens, Hamilton will remain a Flame and I do not foresee that happening any time soon.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Would people trade Hamilton @ 5.75x4Y for Ekblad @7.5x8 ?

If I hadn't read a thread on the Panthers board yesterday complaining about how Ekblad can't skate then yeah probably.

7.5 is friggin pricy and a lot of that is being paid for (as of yet) potential play in the future.

I do like the term on that contract and I feel like Dougie will be getting paid similar dollars in 4 years time. I wish Brad would have pushed for 7 years on Dougie.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Regarding the Stajan comment: We finally have a coach that recognizes he's wasted on the 4th line. Stajan is still a solid 3rd line guy. When you're stapled to guys like Bollig, you're not going to be very effective.

Regarding Backlund, I'd say he's a very poor mans Bergeron. One is a legitimate #1 center with several Selke's. The other is a good two-way middle 6 forward.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd love a Monahan, Backlund, and Jokipakka for Ekholm and Ryjo trade. I had wanted Jokipakka to pull a Mattias Ekholm (Aka surge in point totals, and be our best defensive player as last year for a large part of the second half Ekholm was far better defensively than even Weber). Too bad neither have been too great so far this year. But yeah I'd definitely love Ekholm on our team. What about Monahan, Backlund, and Kulak for Ryjo, Ekholm, and Jarnkrok (I mean we have to unite 2 of the Swedish mafia together, so sorry Filip...)?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'd love a Monahan, Backlund, and Jokipakka for Ekholm and Ryjo trade. I had wanted Jokipakka to pull a Mattias Ekholm (Aka surge in point totals, and be our best defensive player as last year for a large part of the second half Ekholm was far better defensively than even Weber). Too bad neither have been too great so far this year. But yeah I'd definitely love Ekholm on our team. What about Monahan, Backlund, and Kulak for Ryjo, Ekholm, and Jarnkrok (I mean we have to unite 2 of the Swedish mafia together, so sorry Filip...)?

We would be getting decked in either of those trades imo

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, just thinking out loud here. What s the Flames start talking to Backlund about an extension around January 1st (he wouldn't be able to actually sign until July 1st) and it looks like they won't be in the same ballpark? Do we move Backlund this trade deadline in order to maximize his trade value?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So, just thinking out loud here. What s the Flames start talking to Backlund about an extension around January 1st (he wouldn't be able to actually sign until July 1st) and it looks like they won't be in the same ballpark? Do we move Backlund this trade deadline in order to maximize his trade value?

Three things would need to happen for me to consider dealing Backlund that early.

1. Monahan would need to get back to his old self or better.
2. Bennett would need to show he can be a quality center in the NHL.
3. Jankowski would need to prove he can fill that #3 role.

If any of the following doesn't happen, Calgary can't afford to lose Backlund yet.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If the first two don't happen then the playoffs, let alone contention, will be out of reach for the foreseeable future anyways. The Flames should enter into a full tear-down if the new Monahan is actually the Monahan of the future and Bennett can't figure out C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad