Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Please continue...

1297681162651_ORIGINAL.jpg

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
And as much as people moan about the Brouwer signing, people would be even more upset if we were going into training camp with Chiasson and Frolik as our only legit RW players, and Frolik and Gaudreau as the only legit top six wing options.
Not me. I'd certainly prefer nothing over him on that contract. But of course, this dilemma doesn't represent reality when PAP, Hudler, Purcell and possible waiver candidates (andrighetto) were or may be available for way cheaper.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not me. I'd certainly prefer nothing over him on that contract. But of course, this dilemma doesn't represent reality when PAP, Hudler, Purcell and possible waiver candidates (andrighetto) were or may be available for way cheaper.

May have been available. Can't guarantee they would have come to Calgary.

Andrighetto I don't think is a vast improvement on Ferland in terms of a top six forward right now.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The last thing we need is to get smaller in the top six, the only good to great small forwards we have had in awhile have been Gaudreau (amazing) and Byron (solid but inconsistent). I'd rather go for someone with some size and a power forward skillset or a good two way asset.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We can't just assume that available means willing to sign for good value in Calgary. I don't think any of those guys being what Brouwer did, either.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
A bit OT, but I had to google what's going on with Ortio. Came up with article from Yle (Finnish broadcasting company) from January 2015.

"Ortio's strong play has but the Flames coaching and management into a tight spot. Sooner or later one of the three goalies has to leave"

:laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
A bit OT, but I had to google what's going on with Ortio. Came up with article from Yle (Finnish broadcasting company) from January 2015.

"Ortio's strong play has but the Flames coaching and management into a tight spot. Sooner or later one of the three goalies has to leave"

:laugh:

I thought he went to play for Skelleftea AIK?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In the other thread there is complaining about trading a 3rd for Bollig, but why exactly is it so bad? If a 3rd round pick becomes Bollig it's a successful pick, all that pick does is give you what? A ~10% chance at getting a Bollig?

Yeah, yeah I get the mystery box is exciting and you could get anything, even a Bollig

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In the other thread there is complaining about trading a 3rd for Bollig, but why exactly is it so bad? If a 3rd round pick becomes Bollig it's a successful pick, all that pick does is give you what? A ~10% chance at getting a Bollig?

Yeah, yeah I get the mystery box is exciting and you could get anything, even a Bollig

I have no problem with the player. Given how his play has been since being here, though, he should not be making as much as he is, so I do regret that trade. I wouldn't have a problem with the trade if it had been for a player with exactly Bollig's abilities, making an appropriate amount of money.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
A pick is always worth more Method Man, haven't you heard? Once the pick is used, it's worthless, trade the player for another pick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no problem with the player. Given how his play has been since being here, though, he should not be making as much as he is, so I do regret that trade. I wouldn't have a problem with the trade if it had been for a player with exactly Bollig's abilities, making an appropriate amount of money.
He has a cap hit of 1.25, this also seems like an overreaction. I'm not saying it was a great great or anything, but it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. It fits firmly in the "meh" category.

May 27, 2012
Earth

get

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Trade Gaudreau for a mid first round pick while we're at it. Let's rebuild properly

Calgary Flames: 2016 Version: The Endless Rebuild: #GaudreauGate: The Edmonton Model: Rebuild Hard or Die Trying: This Isn't the GM Job I Signed Up For: The Brad Treliving Story: ...

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Could even have been a Matteson Iacopelli.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do you guys see Tkachuk and Bennett sticking into regular season??
The presumed 2nd line??
As of now it looks that way, but I think second scoring line would be the better way of wording it as our shutdown line with Backlund and Frolik may be be the 2nd line.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Do you guys see Tkachuk and Bennett sticking into regular season??
The presumed 2nd line??

Yup. They won't sepearate the two just for the sake of regular season. A lot of chemistry and they compliment each other well.

Now, if Chucky had no points and is -10 by game 9, he might be on his way back to junior, but I've seen nothing that'll have him do that. That BBT line looks like it's finally giving Calgary that second line punch they've needed for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad