Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Vey and Wotherspoon on waivers. Can't link the tweet since I'm posting with my phone.

Shocked that TSpoon is down. Hoping that Kulak can stay now.

This prolly means that the Wideman trade flopped tho...
What Wideman trade? I haven't seen any rumors about him at all.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Any interest in Ty Rattie? Looks like the Blues acquiring Yakupov pushed him down. He's a right hand shot RW

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Any interest in Ty Rattie? Looks like the Blues acquiring Yakupov pushed him down. He's a right hand shot RW
If we start with 13 forwards I'd toss a waiver claim his way or after he clears waivers I'd toss them the Panthers 4th from the Hudler deal

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Would be an acceptable reclamation project given how weak the Flames are at wing.

Would take him on waivers or trade Chiasson straight up. That's about it though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames just picked up Chiasson hoping he can bounce back, he is not getting traded already :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Our cap is staggered really nicely.

Gio comes off the books when Gaudreau is due for a raise.

Brouwer and Frolik come off when Brodie is due for a raise.

Bouma and Stajan off when Backlund is due a raise.

Engelland and Wideman off with Bennett due a raise.

Can't praise management enough for setting it up like that. Even if the cap stays flat, we shouldn't have any issues keeping top players.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
And there's the expansion bait.

Flames now satisfy the goaltending (McCollum) and forward (Bouma+Stajan) requirements. Still need a defencemen signed for 2017-2018.

Wonder where he plays though. Minor trade coming? Or perhaps someone's injured.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
And there's the expansion bait.

Flames now satisfy the goaltending (McCollum) and forward (Bouma+Stajan) requirements. Still need a defencemen signed for 2017-2018.

Wonder where he plays though. Minor trade coming? Or perhaps someone's injured.

Yep. Good call. I wondered why we didn't sign Rittich to a 2 year deal

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep. Good call. I wondered why we didn't sign Rittich to a 2 year deal
teams have no say in how many years an ELC is for, the term is 100% based on their age.

Also, does this mean Rittich to ECHL, McDonald to the Q? Or Rittich to Europe or loaned to another AHL/ECHL team?

Perkele 14

Sep 19, 2002
Terrebonne
D questions

Hi guys, Flames fans from Montreal here... Doing my best to follow the team but Inhave a couple questions for you:

Do you guys feel that Wideman will still be a Flames by the end of the year?? I know he was a healty scratch last game and had bad turnovers against the Oilers, but I was wondering where he slots now in the D corp? I also notice that he was not an alternate Captain anymore... Is it a rotation with Brouwer and Brodie? I think Monahan will keep it for the year (and hopefully many more).

Also, is Wotherspoon now officially considered a bust? Any chances he will eventually make it? Kulak has now passed him and the signature of Grossman sent a bad signal for him imo...

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Wish you all a great season!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think Wideman will be with the team - unless he starts playing better in which case he's trade bait at the deadline. He's no longer an alternate captain.

Wotherspoon is probably next on the depth chart, but his time may be running out. Might still have another season to prove himself.

Perkele 14

Sep 19, 2002
Terrebonne
Oh! Post got moved here and I see that there was already a couple of posts about them... I thought it was a Backlund thread... Thanks anyways to who moved me here...:yo:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's up to Wideman. If he keeps playing like he did the first 2 games, he's probably a candidate to hit the waiver wire. Personally I think you keep him on the 3rd pairing, at about 14-15 min a night and give him PP time, and I think he can be useful in that role.

Wotherspoon has never asserted himself in his entire pro career. Part of me thinks if he were given the ball and some trust, he would flourish playing in the more structured NHL. He can skate well, is solid positionally and can pass out of his zone. Game has no glaring weaknesses, but he has no glaring strengths either. I personally think both Kulak and probably Culkin are better players, but this season is Spoons last chance with us, of that I have no doubts. Kylington and Kulak will likely be on the roster full time next season and Andersson will be pushing as well.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames have been trying to get rid of Wideman for some time now, including fresh attempts this past summer but no one wants him. Garroich (yeah but he broke Gulutzan to the Flames) mentioned it in his latest piece. Barring Wideman discovering the secret to eternal youth, he's going to be in and out of the lineup all season long with some lengthy spells in the press box unless the tank is on. Best case scenario is a Jones like trade at the deadline.

As for Wotherspoon, unless there's some injuries resulting in him getting called up and excelling, he probably won't be qualified next summer. If he's not in the Flames' future, he'll be let go to find an opportunity elsewhere.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I still feel Kulak-Wideman is the optimal bottom pair for us. Kulak has that ability to cover defensively, and Wideman brings a lot more offensively and on the breakout than Engelland which our team can always benefit from. Wideman's struggles in game 1 came from being matched to McDavid's line ( :help: ) and in game 2 they came from playing the left side on a pairing with Engelland. He is still a servicable right side bottom pair D.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I am truly against watching another season of Fishin' with Dennis. Engelland is much more solid defensively he just needs to play with someone that can pass the puck up. Kulak and him looked good vs Vancouver and they were good last year. The D pairs are fine the way they are IMO.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am truly against watching another season of Fishin' with Dennis. Engelland is much more solid defensively he just needs to play with someone that can pass the puck up. Kulak and him looked good vs Vancouver and they were good last year. The D pairs are fine the way they are IMO.

I agree. Until someone has a brutal game, Wideman shouldn't see the ice.

For all of Engelland's short comings, and there are many, he's more defensively aware than Wideman and significantly more physical than the Widedog. We've seen it with Engels his entire stint here in Calgary; when he plays with someone who can skate, he tends to have simple and efficient games.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Does anyone think we should go after a good partner that's usually a 5th D but can play 4th D for Hamilton? Carl Gunnarsson comes in mind. Bortuzzo has outperformed him and can easily be the Oilers 2nd pairing RHD, so maybe we should work out a trade with the Blues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad