Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXIII - FLAMES RELATED (Mikael Backlund Appreciation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
II, I also appreciate Backlund. Not to your degree, your choice in men is impeccable.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
According to Bob McKenzie, the Flames are one of the 4 teams still in on Kris Russell.

edit
LeBrun said it first on TSN it seems

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd rather use LTIR than give up assets to move Smid's contract.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I believe that too. If that is the case, you gotta love a guy like Russell who really wants to play for the Flames.

I agre 100% and it's a shame that the Corsi bible thumpers will treat him like **** despite this unprecedented loyalty.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Not sure why you'd have to move Smid. He's going to the LTIR in a few days for the rest of his career :laugh:

I'd rather have Calgary try and move Wideman or Engelland for a premium over the guy who will never play in the NHL again. I really wouldn't mind Russ on the team, but, that gives us a ridiculous amount of NHL ready D.

The top 3.
Russ, Wideman, Engelland, Jyrki, Wotherspoon, and possibly Kulak.

Tells me Kulak is back in the AHL this year. Wotherspoon I think deserves a spot. I thought he was good enough in the later part of '14 that he earned a spot; but Bob's distaste for him was pretty evident.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Kulak likely starts in the AHL and the vets get their chance. I bet if they falter he's not too far off from a call-up. Gulutzan and the Flames organization all realize he's a talent though

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'd rather use LTIR than give up assets to move Smid's contract.

Ownership has been pretty set on not paying players to not play for them, only thing that makes sense is if they told Tre, "We'll only pay one or the other, not both."

Unless I'm missing something, the teams still pay LTIR players right?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Ownership has been pretty set on not paying players to not play for them, only thing that makes sense is if they told Tre, "We'll only pay one or the other, not both."

Depends if the contract is insured or not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

My understanding is they don't like paying players to play elsewhere, so I'm not sure this fits with that. If that is the case as long as the Flames are under budget I see no issues.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
My understanding is they don't like paying players to play elsewhere, so I'm not sure this fits with that. If that is the case as long as the Flames are under budget I see no issues.

That's true, that's just the only way that situation makes sense to me.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Vey and Wotherspoon on waivers. Can't link the tweet since I'm posting with my phone.

Shocked that TSpoon is down. Hoping that Kulak can stay now.

This prolly means that the Wideman trade flopped tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad