Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXI EVERYTHING FLAMES-RELATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hope that we are picking up one more legit top nine forward on the cheap via free agency or by trade.

I just don't like having to hope that both Tkachuk and Shinkurak can make it so our top nine doesn't have a gaping hole.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I hope that we are picking up one more legit top nine forward on the cheap via free agency or by trade.

I just don't like having to hope that both Tkachuk and Shinkurak can make it so our top nine doesn't have a gaping hole.

Completely agree. It's why I am not totally opposed to bring Hudler back on a short deal. Give him 3M for 1 year or something similar.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think you can guarantee two of Stajan (as a wing), Bouma, Ferland or Chiasson being in the top 9, so we'd only be banking on one of Tkachuk or Shinkaruk making it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
FWIW, I never heard Treliving once say "we'll get it done" regarding Colborne. He's said that a couple times now about Sean and Johnny. No worries about it, it'll get done.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think you can guarantee two of Stajan (as a wing), Bouma, Ferland or Chiasson being in the top 9, so we'd only be banking on one of Tkachuk or Shinkaruk making it.

The bolded are the ones I don't really want. I'm willing to expirement with Stajan on the wing some more. If we truly have aspirations to be a solid team next year, I just think having one more top 9 guy would go a long way.

One of those guys will inevitably be in the top nine due to injuries at some point I'm sure.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Slight difference but Giordano had a year left on his current deal. That would be more comparable to re-signing Bennett.

Unrestricted vs. restricted, though. In both cases, they're the same length of time away from being able to walk from the Flames. I would say the situations are comparable. The off-season is a few months long. It doesn't make a difference when things happen in the off-season.

oh boy

I´m really happy with Elliot.

They would've preferred the Vezina finalist to the non-Vezina finalist? :sarcasm:

Bishop is a more proven and better goalie, so this is not a shock. They clearly preferred paying the price for Elliott, and that's something I think we can all agree on.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am really happy Treliving blinked on acquiring Bishiop. Have to think that it would have cost us 6th OA.

Id take Elliott + Tkachuk over Bishop and what will be a huge contract.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The other thing is that we haven't actually closed the door on acquiring Ben Bishop until we sign Elliott to a contract, and we're probably not going to do that until he shows himself to be a good goalie here. If he messes the bed early and can't redeem himself by January, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we make a deal with the Bolts at a new, low price.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The other thing is that we haven't actually closed the door on acquiring Ben Bishop until we sign Elliott to a contract, and we're probably not going to do that until he shows himself to be a good goalie here. If he messes the bed early and can't redeem himself by January, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we make a deal with the Bolts at a new, low price.

That isn't at all unrealistic. Seems unlikely, but I don't think you are wrong. Although, if Elliott really stumbles for some reason I can see them giving Johnson the nod and see how he does as starter.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Treliving on the Fan this morning.

Some key points.
- Still talking to a few FA's, likely will be depth signings.
- The Stockton team will be very young with a lot of new graduates from the CHL/otherwise. Wants to bring in some veterans/depth guys.
- Talking to Nakladal, but doesn't sound like we're bringing him back.
- Says the right side has depth in Brodie, Hamilton and Wideman. Left handed D seems like more of an area of need.
- Still talking to some teams to see if some things come loose (Trades, etc).
- No real update on Monny/Johnny, outside of that they're working on it :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Some key points.
- The Stockton team will be very young with a lot of new graduates from the CHL/otherwise. Wants to bring in some veterans/depth guys.
- Says the right side has depth in Brodie, Hamilton and Wideman. Left handed D seems like more of an area of need.

Why is this the last item on his list?! Clearly Brad Treliving is not doing the right thing and focusing all his time on getting these two guys signed. It should have been done months ago. This is inexcusable.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I said something similar before, you said it a lot better. We improved in net, but that doesn't mean we won't look to get even better. The price for Bishop was to high right now, heck we might just sign him in the offseason or even deal Elliot plus something small at the deadline. Prices will continue to fall on these guys.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
From his interview, my takeaways are:
- Smid is likely LTIR-bound.
- Engelland is our depth Dman.
- We'll be looking at guys like Legwand/Richards/etc for 2-way deals.
- They'll find a bottom 4D Left hand shooting D for this team to round it out.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Some key points.

Thank jebus.

From his interview, my takeaways are:
- Smid is likely LTIR-bound.
- Engelland is our depth Dman.
- We'll be looking at guys like Legwand/Richards/etc for 2-way deals.
- They'll find a bottom 4D Left hand shooting D for this team to round it out.

As for the bolded, nice to know we have a little more cap space then.

As for the underlined, that surprises me a little.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why is this the last item on his list?! Clearly Brad Treliving is not doing the right thing and focusing all his time on getting these two guys signed. It should have been done months ago. This is inexcusable.

Probably just a minor detail to iron out/is pretty much done and agreed upon. Probably also want both guys in town for an in person press conference to announce the deals together.

Will be some of the biggest contracts handed out in Flames history, no?

That's probably why it doesn't seem to be urgent, because it's probably just sitting in Treliving's office at 97% completion.

My guess anyways. I'm not concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad