Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XXI EVERYTHING FLAMES-RELATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
Agreed. Kind of ruins those two's summers as well.

Does it? I saw a picture right after the season was done of Johnny, Bouma, and Monahan at a Caribbean resort a week later. The players don't negotiate, but rather the agents for them.

I assume this isn't serious though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fair enough. But he can shoot a puck. Who else can do that?

John Scott.

Well, you know he's big, and he can really rip the puck.

And he's an All Star! I mean I'm surprised he's still out on the market. Must be a serious bidding war going on

gKGDsbG.gif

Must... not... laugh... At John Scott jokes or this guys ridiculous clap...

I actually wouldn't mind him as a guy on Stockton. Sort of like how McGrattan is on the Gulls. Just plain good old fashioned character around the kids. Arizona link... maybe, perhaps... something... patterns!?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Any thoughts at resigning Russell? The idea intrigues me some. Of course Wideman would need to be part of that equation in one way or another.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'd like to give Kulak and Wotherspoon a try this season with a regular position. Same level as LD as there is out there.
Wideman, I kind of understand, if he reverts back to 2015 Wideman, we're in good shape... if he puts up some points, he'll be trade bait as well.

Engelland, exactly 7D; I call all non-top 6 D depth though :laugh:

I'd like to see one of them in full-time as well, I don't think we will see both as NHL regulars, but I think they are both ready. My guess would be Wotherspoon is up full-time because he is waiver eligible next year.

Yeah Wideman can bring something to the table, nothing that Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton can't, so I view him as somewhat redundant. Hamilton has surpassed him on the PP, so his value to us isn't all that high. I just want his salary moved to improve ourselves elsewhere.

I would rather have Engelland as a regular than Wideman, simply because of the dynamic he would add, some toughness, which is something only he can bring out of all our defencemen currently. Along with Jokipakka, I'd say they are our only physical guys back there. Like Wideman, he's overpaid, not terrible.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any thoughts at resigning Russell? The idea intrigues me some. Of course Wideman would need to be part of that equation in one way or another.

I think it would be unexpected. We traded him away because we didn't want to negotiate a new contract with him. I can't see it happening unless 29 other teams don't want him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind Russell on a Franson "prove it" type deal, assuming Wideman is gone.

As far as Stockton goes, would Ben Street be worth looking into again? Plenty of wingers, but center depth could be an issue. Derek Grant is gone. Drew Shore wasn't qualified, same with Turner Elson. Arnold may be gone too. Not much aside from Pollock and Jankowski. It's going to be a very young team, so bringing in some kind of veteran/leader could be very beneficial.

Just a list of some possible options;

Dominic Moore - Well liked, experienced. Not sure if he'd be interested though.
Mike Richards - Would probably prefer a team where he'd have a chance at making the NHL roster.
Scott Gomez - See Richards
Shawn Horcoff - Probably more likely to retire.
Matt Stajan - Would clear some space to sign another winger. He'd be a great veteran/leader to have in Stockton. Could sign Spaling or Jooris to be the 4th line center.
Brandon Prust - Could be worth looking into.
Jamie Lundmark - He's been with the Flames organization before. I could also un-retire my Lundmark jersey.
Blair Jones - Another player who had time with the Flames. Strong AHL center.
Tim Brent - Always thought highly of him. Reminds me a lot of Josh Jooris, just more suited for center.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Street is off the market, went to Detroit.

Also, what has Stakan done to be demoted? He's overpaid, sure. Other than that nothing. He was put in a tough position playing 4C with less than ideal linemates, and responded by being a model professional, yes I understand that these characteristics are why you want him with the kids in the AHL, but he's still a contributing player in the NHL, contrary to popular belief. Additionally, we will have young guys who can learn from him in the NHL too. Stajan issue, just like, Engelland's, is that they are overpaid for what they are, thus are under appreciated. They're overpaid, but still NHL players.

But overall, I do agree, we need someone in the AHL who can show the kids how to be a consummate pro, but there are better options than sending Stajan down.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Street is off the market, went to Detroit.

Also, what has Stakan done to be demoted? He's overpaid, sure. Other than that nothing. He was put in a tough position playing 4C with less than ideal linemates, and responded by being a model professional, yes I understand that these characteristics are why you want him with the kids in the AHL, but he's still a contributing player in the NHL, contrary to popular belief. Additionally, we will have young guys who can learn from him in the NHL too. Stajan issue, just like, Engelland's, is that they are overpaid for what they are, thus are under appreciated. They're overpaid, but still NHL players.

But overall, I do agree, we need someone in the AHL who can show the kids how to be a consummate pro, but there are better options than sending Stajan down.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying he should be demoted. What he brings to the Flames goes beyond what is shown on the ice. Hell, I kinda want to see him on the wing in the top 9.

I'm simply saying it's an option. If Treliving feels that waiving Stajan would clear space to bring in a guy who can contribute in the top 6, while also having someone reliable for the 4th line center role, he should definitely explore that option.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Just to be clear, I'm not saying he should be demoted. What he brings to the Flames goes beyond what is shown on the ice. Hell, I kinda want to see him on the wing in the top 9.

I'm simply saying it's an option. If Treliving feels that waiving Stajan would clear space to bring in a guy who can contribute in the top 6, while also having someone reliable for the 4th line center role, he should definitely explore that option.

I also would like to see him in the top 9. I think he could actually look good alongside Backlund and Frolik.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Hudler

If we could somehow get rid of Wideman, it would be great to bring back Hudler for some of his money.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Hudler
Ferland-Stajan-Chiasson
Bollig

Hudler is a great team guy, and in a sheltered role I think he could really help Bennett and Tkachuk explode. The Backlund line can be 2/3 interchangeably with it, and the shutdown line. Brouwer polices the top line and gets rid of all the slashing on Johnny's wrists, while making some room for the boys.

3.5 Mil 1 year?

Ps I wish we could get rid of bollig. Stajan would also be nice to dump, even though he's a nice guy.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bolig can be use in an enforcer role occasionally

Stajan as a leader is a myth. Never won anything in his life.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If we could somehow get rid of Wideman, it would be great to bring back Hudler for some of his money.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Hudler
Ferland-Stajan-Chiasson
Bollig

Hudler is a great team guy, and in a sheltered role I think he could really help Bennett and Tkachuk explode. The Backlund line can be 2/3 interchangeably with it, and the shutdown line. Brouwer polices the top line and gets rid of all the slashing on Johnny's wrists, while making some room for the boys.

3.5 Mil 1 year?

Ps I wish we could get rid of bollig. Stajan would also be nice to dump, even though he's a nice guy.

I wouldn't want Hudler with Tkachuk and Bennett. Slot Hudler in with Backlund and Frolik. Put Bouma or Ferland with Tkachuk - Bennett.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm really for the idea of having Bennett and Tkachuk together with Frolik. Professional, plays both ends... Would help the two kids a lot.

I think for all we want to get rid of the Widedog, he'll be in the starting lineup. I'm no Wideman fan, but when he plays not like a train wreck he's actually a good bottom 4 guy. I'd love to give Kulak or Wotherspoon a better look. Paired with Hamilton or Wideman would really help defensively.

There are so many possibilities. Tre even mentioned things might shake loose, so who knows, we might end up with more traded pieces.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Right, because only winners are capable of being leaders, the rest are unable.

Stajan is absolutely a leader, it's why he's worn the A on his chest, well that's my reasoning at least.
It's as clear as day that Stajan is a leader on the club, denying it is nothing more than DFF being DFF.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Stajan was 47 percent in the dot last year. Add to that his 17 points, and mediocre underlying numbers, Stajan is fast approaching cap dump/buyout/waiver wire material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->