Speculation: Armchair GM and Rumors Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What if we just try to break the system by getting an entire roster full of NMCs?

Your move, NHL. Either they let us protect everyone, or they let us pick certain NMCs to expose.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Matt Murray is a bad idea. We would have to overpay for a goalie who is a pure blocking style goaltender. With the changes to equipment coming not sure I want to tie my franchise to a guy that's played 30ish NHL games in front of a team on a quest, and has a style that could be hurt big time with smaller equipment.

Edit: and until We read the actual expansion rules we have no idea if Gillies needs protection.

Edit 2: And people obsessions with having young players all over the roster needs to stop. You need to have players of different age groups. All our guys are going for FA in the same 2-3 years. You can only have some many 21-22 year olds. Too many and you lose them at 27 anyway.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm happy it sounds like Ward is off the market. Means less competition if Carolina is just going to ride Ward/Lack.

Plus I had very little interest in Ward here as well.

moon*

If Gillies is going to have to be available then teams are going to be screwed.

That will be a ton of young guys that will be made available and a ton of talent that will therefore be available for the draft.

I can't see how they make a guy with as little experience as Gillies available.

I also don't think we have to worry about Murray, little to no chance that the Pens are going to give him up considering his age and ability. Makes no sense.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't understand why people are saying we would have to protect Gilles. He's only played one professional season, and to my understanding of the rules this next season will be his 2nd, therefore he is exempt.

Heck, 7 games might be under what counts as a "professional season" to boot.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is why:

Any players in to their 2 first years of entry level contract will not be exposed to the expansion draft.

Gillies is about to start the final year of his ELC. Now, could be there are professional games played criteria that Gillies doesn't meet but based on the information out at the moment, it seems like Gillies does need to be protected.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't think we really have to worry about Gillies being claimed even if he's being exposed. He has a 2/90 chance give or take. There are more attractive options out there.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
That can't be the entire rule - surely there has to be a minimum number of professional games played.

We should just wait. They are going to release news on expansion with in a week from what I've heard. Everything is just speculation until we see an NHL press release/ or something from Bill Daly/ Bob McKenzie

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This is why:

Gillies is about to start the final year of his ELC. Now, could be there are professional games played criteria that Gillies doesn't meet but based on the information out at the moment, it seems like Gillies does need to be protected.

We simply don't know. I've seen it referred to as second year pro's infinitely more than the definition you just shared. Plus how does it work on 2 or 1 year ELC's?

It still boils down to we need more info, just like before with the NMC's.

That can't be the entire rule - surely there has to be a minimum number of professional games played.

This. I can't see any way a guy who currently has SEVEN AHL games has to be exposed.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
What if we just try to break the system by getting an entire roster full of NMCs?

Your move, NHL. Either they let us protect everyone, or they let us pick certain NMCs to expose.

The NHL has already indicated that if a team cannot (or will not) meet the rules they set forth there will be financial and draft choice penalties.

If you think you can beat the system by purposely putting yourself in the situation where you cannot comply, you are very delusional.

And even if the league decided that some of the NMC would be waived for your team for expansion purposes, they would allow the expansion team to choose which player to take, not the team who is in breach.

Your move.

moon*

If I were the NHL in that case I would say ok fine you don't need to have anyone available now enjoy your crap team full of guys with NMC's.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If I were the NHL in that case I would say ok fine you don't need to have anyone available now enjoy your crap team full of guys with NMC's.

The NHL has already indicated that if a team cannot (or will not) meet the rules they set forth there will be financial and draft choice penalties.

If you think you can beat the system by purposely putting yourself in the situation where you cannot comply, you are very delusional.

And even if the league decided that some of the NMC would be waived for your team for expansion purposes, they would allow the expansion team to choose which player to take, not the team who is in breach.

Your move.

Unlikely as I suspect the Flames will want to keep their draft picks and also money.

Pretty sure his post was tongue-in-cheek guys..

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

This is where we get smart, though. We build the team so that all the NMCs expire right after the expansion season. :)

Gaudreau and Monahan get matching contracts with NMCs expiring at the end of that season. We renegotiate everyone else's contracts with NMCs expiring at the end of that season (provided we want them, of course). Anyone we are willing to have on the team gets an NMC on their contract until the end of that season.

That way we have the team together for that season, and then continue as normal.

moon*

I know this is obviously in fun but part of the reasoning for my post is if I am not mistaken Gaudreau and Monahan can't have NMC's.

Wasn't that the issue with Jeff Carter when he was dealt from Philly was that he was a year short of years played (7 I believe) to get a NTC?

Either way I think the Flames will be fine with the expansion draft as long as the NMC for UFA's is handled properly. We likely use a useful guy like Jokkipakka but we should have the depth to handle that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know this is obviously in fun but part of the reasoning for my post is if I am not mistaken Gaudreau and Monahan can't have NMC's.

Wasn't that the issue with Jeff Carter when he was dealt from Philly was that he was a year short of years played (7 I believe) to get a NTC?

Either way I think the Flames will be fine with the expansion draft as long as the NMC for UFA's is handled properly. We likely use a useful guy like Jokkipakka but we should have the depth to handle that.

Ah, damn. I thought it would be fun to explore the concept, yeah. But I guess if there's a minimum age for NMCs, that would just mean we'd lose a guy below that age, which is awful.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I don´t know wheter this is a good thing or not...
Let´s hope that it if there will be a deal, it isnt longer than 2 years.

On the Calgary Flames …

Luke Fox of Sportsnet: The Flames have already started contract negotiations with Joe Colborne. Colborne’s agent, J.P. Barry was in Russia co-GMing Team Canada last month.

“Since he’s been back, I know we’ve been in some talks, and hopefully we’re getting closer and closer,” Colborne told Sportsnet 960 The Fan on Wednesday.

“I’m not thinking that it’s going to take too, too long here.”

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rum...angers-trading-negotiating-rights/2016/06/09/

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He was better this year, but I'm still skeptical of players who pile up points when the playoffs become out of reach

Treliving has mentioned the concern about racking up points like that.

I also think Colborne knows that it's in his best interests to do a home town discount.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
With the cap situation in CBJ wondering if we could possibly kill two birds with a single stone. Something alone the lines of

3rd overall + Bobrovsky
for
6th overall + 2 2nds (35th and 56th) + a 3rd (66th) + Colborne

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames:
8th overall
Fasching

Sabres:
6th overall

I could see this type of idea if management wants to draft a draft exempt dman and wait for top 6 players at a later date. (Assuming top 6 might go on discount as well as goalies...)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
With the cap situation in CBJ wondering if we could possibly kill two birds with a single stone. Something alone the lines of

3rd overall + Bobrovsky
for
6th overall + 2 2nds (35th and 56th) + a 3rd (66th) + Colborne

Maybe...

I'm also interested in Hartnell as a mentor, but not sure we want that type of contract long term.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Maybe...

I'm also interested in Hartnell as a mentor, but not sure we want that type of contract long term.

I thought about Hartnell as well, but another roster player would need to go back as well, maybe raymond/bolig/Stajan. But yeah that contract seems a little on the long side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino