Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So in other news, how do you guys feel about Chandler Stephenson as an off season acquisition if he makes it to UFA? Obviously contract matters immensely, but more so in terms of fit.

I'm a fan of the player and wouldn't hate picking him up but it's my feeling Conroy should be looking for the next Chandler Stephenson around the league rather than paying a premium for his post peak play. A digestible cost RFA acquisition from a deep team that could use more opportunity.

He'd probably fit in fine well, very versatile player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So in other news, how do you guys feel about Chandler Stephenson as an off season acquisition if he makes it to UFA? Obviously contract matters immensely, but more so in terms of fit.
I really don't think we should be bringing any forwards in unless multiple forwards go out. I'd rather get Zary back at C personally. Honestly, the only signings I want to see this summer are depth signings, and an Engelland style signing. I suspect could be one of Jani Hakanpaa, or Matt Grzelcyk as they are vets that would be interested in a 3 year term, can eat minutes in the top 4 on a shitty team, but aren't good enough to get a 4/5 position on a contender

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really don't think we should be bringing any forwards in unless multiple forwards go out. I'd rather get Zary back at C personally. Honestly, the only signings I want to see this summer are depth signings, and an Engelland style signing. I suspect could be one of Jani Hakanpaa, or Matt Grzelcyk as they are vets that would be interested in a 3 year term, can eat minutes in the top 4 on a shitty team, but aren't good enough to get a 4/5 position on a contender

Oh if the intent is to actually move Zary or another player to C, I'd agree. I was thinking under the assumption they won't.

Should have clarified that.

I too see at least one D signing, even if we re-sign Kylington. Assuming Conroy and crew are willing to waive one of Hanley/Pachal/whoever if one of the prospects beats them out for a spot.

Kinda amusing to think of having 7 D under contract if Kylington signs, but still signing a vet D and leaving room for prospects.

I'm a fan of the player and wouldn't hate picking him up but it's my feeling Conroy should be looking for the next Chandler Stephenson around the league rather than paying a premium for his post peak play. A digestible cost RFA acquisition from a deep team that could use more opportunity.

Fair points on looking for the next one vs paying for peak.

Fair points on looking for the next one vs paying for peak.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I like Chandler Stephenson a lot. But our hands are tied with Kadri here. Would be very open to moving him though

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Wouldn’t pay a crazy amount for him, but he’d help balance this roster out a lot. He would get Sharangovich back to his wing where he thrived, and slot our forwards more accordingly again.

Huberdeau-Stephenson-Rango
Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman
Mangiapane-Pospisil-Coronato
Rooney

Slots out our forward core to probably the best case scenario, and (as I’ve already beat this drum before) gives room for upward progression for our young guys when we potentially lose some pending UFAs .

I like Chandler Stephenson a lot. But our hands are tied with Kadri here. Would be very open to moving him though
How does Kadri come into this equation at all? Stephenson would be replacing Lindholm’s role in the lineup, and we have plenty of cap space?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh if the intent is to actually move Zary or another player to C, I'd agree. I was thinking under the assumption they won't.

Should have clarified that.

I too see at least one D signing, even if we re-sign Kylington. Assuming Conroy and crew are willing to waive one of Hanley/Pachal/whoever if one of the prospects beats them out for a spot.

Kinda amusing to think of having 7 D under contract if Kylington signs, but still signing a vet D and leaving room for prospects.
That makes sense abut Zary, but I would also say the same as I did before if they want to keep Rango at C.

On D, I fully expect Kylington to re-sign, I would be floored if he doesn't.

I don't think Conroy blinks at the idea of waiving Hanley towards the end of camp next year. I foresee our D looking like...

Top 4 of Andersson, Weegar, Kylington & a UFA (as mentioned I basically expect Hakanpaa or Grzelcyk). I think the 3rd pairing will be Miromanov with either Solovyov (he's waiver eligible) or Okhotuik and Pachal being the extra RD

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
How does Kadri come into this equation at all? Stephenson would be replacing Lindholm’s role in the lineup, and we have plenty of cap space?
If Stephenson is cool with a 3-4 year contract, then sure go ahead. But someone will probably offer him at least 6 because he's a good centre who was integral in a cup victory and might come up big again this spring.

This team shouldn't tie up 2 of their top 3 centre positions in Stephenson and Kadri for the next 5-6 years because we need to find those guys in the draft and have them step in. Back in 2013/14, we only had Backlund nailed on in the top 9 with Stajan as a 4th line vet who knew his role. Picking up Monahan and Bennett in back-to-back drafts helped to sort out our centre position and gave us a roadmap for the future.

Even back then, it wasn't guaranteed that Backlund would be around for the long-term. Those spaces need to be open and having Kadri and Backlund for the short-term is the furthest we should go

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The last thing the Flames need is more overpaid post-apex players signed for 5+ years (Stephenson will want 5-7 years minimum).

Re-build/tool with high picks not 30 year old guys.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If Stephenson is cool with a 3-4 year contract, then sure go ahead. But someone will probably offer him at least 6 because he's a good centre who was integral in a cup victory and might come up big again this spring.

This team shouldn't tie up 2 of their top 3 centre positions in Stephenson and Kadri for the next 5-6 years because we need to find those guys in the draft and have them step in. Back in 2013/14, we only had Backlund nailed on in the top 9 with Stajan as a 4th line vet who knew his role. Picking up Monahan and Bennett in back-to-back drafts helped to sort out our centre position and gave us a roadmap for the future.

Even back then, it wasn't guaranteed that Backlund would be around for the long-term. Those spaces need to be open and having Kadri and Backlund for the short-term is the furthest we should go
That would be a great strategy, if Calgary planned on being bad enough to get 6th overall followed by 4th overall. Betting on Calgary getting two top 6 centres out of the next couple drafts isn’t a great strategy. It didn’t even really happen when we had the 6th and 4th overall picks now. Filling roster holes when we have the cap space to do so is smart, and if we draft top 6 centres in the future we deal from a position of strength. Having more good players is never a bad thing.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Both Monahan and Bennett are top six centers on teams far better than Calgary. Flames just misdeveloped/mishandled the hell out of both of them.

Also, yes too many mediocre players next year is a big giant huge problem given the conditions on that first. Like imagine finishing 11th and having to give that pick to the Canadiens.

All Conroy has to do is sign someone like Dillon to a 2 or 3 year contract to be this rebuild's version of Engelland. At 33, no one's giving Dillon a longterm contract anyway and the Flames have the cap space to overpay.

Up front, there's no room to both add free agents and promote from within. Both Kuzmenko and Mangiapane likely won't be moveable until the trade deadline unless Conroy sells real low on the latter

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Both Monahan and Bennett are top six centers on teams far better than Calgary. Flames just misdeveloped/mishandled the hell out of both of them.

Also, yes too many mediocre players next year is a big giant huge problem given the conditions on that first. Like imagine finishing 11th and having to give that pick to the Canadiens.

All Conroy has to do is sign someone like Dillon to a 2 or 3 year contract to be this rebuild's version of Engelland. At 33, no one's giving Dillon a longterm contract anyway and the Flames have the cap space to overpay.

Up front, there's no room to both add free agents and promote from within. Both Kuzmenko and Mangiapane likely won't be moveable until the trade deadline unless Conroy sells real low on the latter
For the life me, I don't understand why some want us to be mediocre again next year...
I hope we suck ass bad and are not anywhere near 10th. Our roster as is puts us close to that, adding another top 6 FA only gets us dangerously close to 11th.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
For the life me, I don't understand why some want us to be mediocre again next year...
I hope we suck ass bad and are not anywhere near 10th. Our roster as is puts us close to that, adding another top 6 FA only gets us dangerously close to 11th.
Mostly for me it’s because I have a hard time cheering for my team to lose every night. Yes I want us to bottom out and draft franchise altering players, but I also don’t wanna end up like Zona and suck forever

Reactions: Lunatik

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Monahan and Bennett are middle 6 centers playing on 2nd lines with wingers better than them. They both just aren't what people thought they would be, it wasn't Calgary mishandling them. Even without his injury troubles Monahan was never going to be a 1st line center and neither was Bennett no matter how much playing time he got.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nobody wants this team to be mediocre forever. Some people just realize there is more than one way to build a contender, and unless we are absolutely forced to don’t want to go the rebuild route when the average one takes roughly 8-9 years between playoff appearances nowadays (seriously, 1/3 of the league over the last 15 years have went through a rebuild this length or greater), and is absolutely no guarantee of success once you’ve suffered almost a decade.

The people who don’t want a rebuild also agree with management on this, considering they’ve been adamant this isn’t a rebuild and have already mentioned wanting to add in free agency this year. Which is why it seems so pointless that the people who are trying to ponder what some of the best moves for additions via trade or free agency may be are constantly being hit with “no I want us to suck” messages.

• Haha
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Nobody wants this team to be mediocre forever. Some people just realize there is more than one way to build a contender, and unless we are absolutely forced to don’t want to go the rebuild route when the average one takes roughly 8-9 years between playoff appearances nowadays (seriously, 1/3 of the league over the last 15 years have went through a rebuild this length or greater), and is absolutely no guarantee of success once you’ve suffered almost a decade.

The people who don’t want a rebuild also agree with management on this, considering they’ve been adamant this isn’t a rebuild and have already mentioned wanting to add in free agency this year. Which is why it seems so pointless that the people who are trying to ponder what some of the best moves for additions via trade or free agency may be are constantly being hit with “no I want us to suck” messages.
How is adding a 30 year old 2C building a contender?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

I like that you’re an eternal optimist. But how do you objectively look at this roster and see anything that can resemble sustained competitiveness? We need a few high picks

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I like that you’re an eternal optimist. But how do you objectively look at this roster and see anything that can resemble sustained competitiveness? We need a few high picks
Vancouver was berated for selling draft picks to add Hronek, Winnipeg last season for retaining Scheifele and Hellybuck, Boston was supposed to be terrible after losing both their top 6 Cs. New Jersey was part of the short list of contenders this year. Buffalo was a top offensive team in the league with a strong up and coming defense core and goaltending. Philadelphia was laughed at for adding Torts. Washington was washed and too old. Anyone who tells you they know what for sure an NHL team can do are liars. We had the 8th best 5v5 offense for the majority of the year, imagine the difference just a good powerplay may have had on the season.

Calgary is going into this off season and next offseason with some of the most open and usable cap space league wide both times. Free agency is one thing, but we can also weaponize some of our excess draft capital to target the JT Miller, Hronek, and Debrincat trades of the world to add to our team from teams facing tough roster decisions. Having a base and cap space could spell large changes.

How is adding a 30 year old 2C building a contender?
Do you think there’s a single draft pick that can make us a contender. It’s part of a process of adding players to create a winning team?

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Do you think there’s a single draft pick that can make us a contender. It’s part of a process of adding players to create a winning team?
Nobody thinks this unless it’s a McDavid, Bedard, likely McKenna year. Do I think there’s a collection of them that can? Yes, and I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Top 10 pick this year, top 10 next year, plus a late first and a handful of 2nds the next two years is a good start.

Do I think a Chandler Stephenson jeopardizes a high pick next year, yes I do, especially considering the conditions of the Monahan trade.

Age appropriate guys like you mentioned the Hronek deal I’m all for, though. Would be nice to see one of those come up.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Nobody thinks this unless it’s a McDavid, Bedard, likely McKenna year. Do I think there’s a collection of them that can? Yes, and I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Top 10 pick this year, top 10 next year, plus a late first and a handful of 2nds the next two years is a good start.

Do I think a Chandler Stephenson jeopardizes a high pick next year, yes I do, especially considering the conditions of the Monahan trade.

Age appropriate guys like you mentioned the Hronek deal I’m all for, though. Would be nice to see one of those come up.
I can only post this so many times but here we go: Calgary management doesn’t plan on being bad next year, they are hoping for our young guns to take a step forward and are planning on adding in free agency. Just like how adding 1 pick is useless but a barrage of high picks is helpful, building the team through strong trades and an abundant amount of cap room will make this team better.

Honestly, the fact that you look at adding strong players as “jeopardizing” our season says everything. You want to be bad, I don’t. We can dance in circles and it won’t change anything.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I can only post this so many times but here we go: Calgary management doesn’t plan on being bad next year, they are hoping for our young guns to take a step forward and are planning on adding in free agency. Just like how adding 1 pick is useless but a barrage of high picks is helpful, building the team through strong trades and an abundant amount of cap room will make this team better.

Honestly, the fact that you look at adding strong players as “jeopardizing” our season says everything. You want to be bad, I don’t. We can dance in circles and it won’t change anything.
If we don’t finish bottom 10 next year we will get Floridas pick.

The difference between you, Krohx and a few other posters is you want to finish in 9th or 10th in the west while we want to finish bottom 5 for a few years. 9th or 10th in the west is still bad.

And no. Our management can probably see just as clearly as anyone else that this team is no where close to success. It is a mandate from our myopic owner who continues to push the idea of 2 or 3 home playoff games is more important than long term sustained success.

We have some good but not great prospects coming. Add a few first line calibre players and this team has a chance to be a really quality one. Continue on the same path we’ve always been on and continue to see 13th overall picks and first round obliterations. I for one, would like to see a Stanley Cup run for once.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If we don’t finish bottom 10 next year we will get Floridas pick.

The difference between you, Krohx and a few other posters is you want to finish in 9th or 10th in the west while we want to finish bottom 5 for a few years. 9th or 10th in the west is still bad.

And no. Our management can probably see just as clearly as anyone else that this team is no where close to success. It is a mandate from our myopic owner who continues to push the idea of 2 or 3 home playoff games is more important than long term sustained success.

We have some good but not great prospects coming. Add a few first line calibre players and this team has a chance to be a really quality one. Continue on the same path we’ve always been on and continue to see 13th overall picks and first round obliterations. I for one, would like to see a Stanley Cup run for once.
Yes, that’s true.

Huberdeau-x-Sharangovich
Zary-Kadri-Coronato
Pelletier-Backlund-Coronato
Hunt-Rooney-Pospisil

Kylington-Andersson
Weegar-Miromanov
Hanley-Pachal

Markstrom
Wolf

That’s a team with 32 million in cap space. Can you honestly say that in a season that has a very strong UFA class (no cream of the crop but plenty of top 6/top 4 options), plenty of teams under the knife due to the cap, and as a team with amazing amounts of draft capital, that we can’t make serious additions to our group?

The people who don’t want to tank don’t expect us to finish 9th or 10th. Maybe next year, but we can add large pieces to our team this coming season, and still have plenty of young player, prospects, and draft capital to assist our team.

All tanking does is ensure we are probably 6 years away from seeing a bubble team, with no guarantees for a good roster.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Be a pretty boring message board if we only talk about what Flames management wants to do…

You want to be average, the masses want long-term sustainable success. You’re not building a contender through FA with what’s already here. You’re just not. I don’t know what to tell you if you think it’s possible.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Bennett has 34 points playing on a line with Tkachuk (over a PPG) and Verhaege (.96 PPG). Guy is a top 6 forward because of circumstance not talent. Bennett is and will always be mid at best.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Look at Anaheim...Karlsson, MacT, Zegras, Terry, and another top prospect, great young D, goalies, their future is Bright
Look at Montreal...again lots of great young players at all positions, making the deals that help them rebuild. That Monahan deal will go down as the worst deal in franchise history if we have to give them our pick
Yes teams like Buff & Ott have had great picks for years and are still spinning their tires, but the future is still very bright for both teams.

It;s the Monohan deal that will have to force our hand to really go into a bad year here. I swaer if we go out and spend $$ on an vet FA and end up just missing the playoffs again, that is the single worst thing that could possibly happen. Well maybe 2nd worse thing, because finishing 11th would be the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad