Proposal: Arizona - Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I hear you. What I can tell you is that Rick Tocchet and his staff are an abomination. They want players to treat the puck like a live hand-grenade. The entire philosophy is to play "fast" which means rushing plays, and always being panicked. It's the ugliest damn thing I've ever seen. It's not apples-to-apples with the rest of the league.

I definitely think there is some legitimacy in your eye test observations, but do you know why Garland is such a strong play driver on the same team?

Not saying I'd want Garland in a package for Matthews, but Keller has been such a poor play driver in his career and Garland has been completely the opposite. Dominant.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I would rather have the Coyotes go after Nylander than Mathews. I like his cap hit.
Nylander for Keller would work in a Coyote's fan perspective, but at best case is sideways for TO's for a proven commodity. A trade would have to be with more players. Demers?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I would rather have the Coyotes go after Nylander than Mathews. I like his cap hit.
Nylander for Keller would work in a Coyote's fan perspective, but at best case is sideways for TO's for a proven commodity. A trade would have to be with more players. Demers?

Not going to happen. Nylander is one of the best play driving wingers in the league. Keller is amongst the worst. Not the type of player Dubas would go after and not the type of player Dubas would trade.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I definitely think there is some legitimacy in your eye test observations, but do you know why Garland is such a strong play driver on the same team?

Not saying I'd want Garland in a package for Matthews, but Keller has been such a poor play driver in his career and Garland has been completely the opposite. Dominant.
The same reason Garland gets extremely limited minutes despite being a top producer on the team; he doesn't play the same way everyone else does. Garland lives in "the house". Plays a direct game. If he happens to get the puck (he's certainly not ever the one to be skating it in), he simply takes it straight to the net. If someone else happens to have the puck in a high danger area, he simply skates to the net. He plays an extremely simple and effective game. He gets rewarded with a bunch of goals and very little opportunity from his coaching staff who, based on minutes, seem only lukewarm about the player. Almost begrudging his production.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The same reason Garland gets extremely limited minutes despite being a top producer on the team; he doesn't play the same way everyone else does. Garland lives in "the house". Plays a direct game. If he happens to get the puck (he's certainly not ever the one to be skating it in), he simply takes it straight to the net. If someone else happens to have the puck in a high danger area, he simply skates to the net. He plays an extremely simple and effective game. He gets rewarded with a bunch of goals and very little opportunity from his coaching staff who, based on minutes, seem only lukewarm about the player. Almost begrudging his production.

That explanation is certainly consistent with strong play driving. He seems like a Gallagher-lite type player. Point totals won't jump off the page but the overall impact on the game is underrated.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That explanation is certainly consistent with strong play driving. He seems like a Gallagher-lite type player. Point totals won't jump off the page but the overall impact on the game is underrated.
He has the best on-ice goals for % of any player on the team with more than 20gp. Yet because he doesn't play the way his inept coaching staff wants, he doesn't get the minutes he deserves. I mean, the kid is 7th in PPTOI/GP among Yotes forwards and 10th in EVTOI/GP among Yotes forwards. This despite leading the team in goals. And having more goals in a partial season than any Coyote has scored in a full season in three years. Since Tocchet got here. He's the most productive player from a goals standpoint that Tocchet has had as HC of the Coyotes. Yet, he gets 3rd or 4th line opportunities.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Matthews' cap-hit is 11.6 million. And Toronto is in extreme win-now mode. Futures are not of interest to Toronto.

So the question is, can there be any combination of roster players form Arizona that help the Maple Leafs win more than Matthews does for the same 11.6 million? If there isn't, then there's no trade to be made. To be a better team than they are with Matthews, they'll need a C coming back, and probably a defenceman.

Chychrun and Keller is about as close a combo as you'll get, making almost exactly the 11.6. But they're not enough on their own, and adding a pick or whatever doesn't move the needle enough.

Keller and Dvorak combine to make 11.6 million, oddly enough. And that isn't a good enough deal for Toronto to move Matthews. Downgrade at C, and Keller isn't needed on a roster with Marner/Nylander.

OEL and Schmaltz is already like 14 million. And, although OEL would be great, that's still not enough to make the Leafs pull the trigger.

The answer, even being objective, is no.

Now add in what Matthews means to a team like Toronto, who hasn't had a superstar like him in forever, and who finally has C depth that plagued them for a generation. It's an easy no. Check back in 3 years and if they've lost 3 more times in the first round, then maybe the answer will change.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up. My son a huge Coyotes and a Matthews fan. Him and I were discussing if there is a way we could bring him home. We came up with the following

Toronto receives Jacob Chychrun, Clayton Keller and a 1st round pick

Arizona receives Auston Matthews

Is this enough or needs a bit of tweeking? Let's discuss.
Nothing Arizona could offer would return them Matthews.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up. My son a huge Coyotes and a Matthews fan. Him and I were discussing if there is a way we could bring him home. We came up with the following

That deal does not get you Matthews

I do not think Arizona have what it takes to get Matthews

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yeah, I bet it would.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

No doubt...but it really doesn't address any needs for the Leafs.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
6 first round picks AND a top prospect? Yeah, a deal the Coyotes would go nowhere near.

(I agree Matthews is not going to be traded regardless)

You can call it 6 first round picks, or you can call it a soft middle-6 winger, a 2nd pair D, a bottom-6 grinder, and 3 mediocre lottery tickets.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Or you’re more likely to get the Trouba return because he won’t want to negotiate or a sign a new deal unless it’s with Arizona
Except he has never indicated any interest in leaving Toronto or playing in Arizona. You are just guessing based on...where he was born?

I can tell you most players don't come home.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Leafs traded Matthews to Arizona, this would probably get it done.

Crouse
Hjalmarrson
Jenik
Soderstrom
Hayton
2020/2021 1st (the one NJ doesn't get, no protection)

I think Arizona would protest though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You can call it 6 first round picks, or you can call it a soft middle-6 winger, a 2nd pair D, a bottom-6 grinder, and 3 mediocre lottery tickets.
o_O

Again not saying the Leafs would make the deal but it would be crazy for Arizona to trade 6 1st round picks regardless of how you view them (which is faulty in my view).

Keller is soft. Middle 6 winger, I suppose you could call him that. He ranks as the 20th highest scoring RW currently. He plays both wings so would actually be your number one LW.

Chychrun at 22 would arguably be your second best D. Call him a second pair D if you will but he is a darned good second pair D.

Dvorak at 24 years old obviously has no chance of improving his great 2 way game if he had the talent in Toronto to play with.

And 3 mediocre lottery tickets? :huh: A 5th overall pick, 19 years old C? Soderstrom is one of the top 2 way D prospects in the league. Jans Jenik is a very good prospect too.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
o_O

Again not saying the Leafs would make the deal but it would be crazy for Arizona to trade 6 1st round picks regardless of how you view them (which is faulty in my view).

Keller is soft. Middle 6 winger, I suppose you could call him that. He ranks as the 20th highest scoring RW currently. He plays both wings so would actually be your number one LW.

Chychrun at 22 would arguably be your second best D. Call him a second pair D if you will but he is a darned good second pair D.

Dvorak at 24 years old obviously has no chance of improving his great 2 way game if he had the talent in Toronto to play with.

And 3 mediocre lottery tickets? :huh: A 5th overall pick, 19 years old C? Soderstrom is one of the top 2 way D prospects in the league. Jans Jenik is a very good prospect too.

If we add Gauthier to the deal, does that make it more even? After all, he's a 1st round pick so he must be valuable.

Also I'm pretty sure Keller and his atrocious defensive game wouldn't be #1LW over Hyman who's out pacing him in points (let alone the MASSIVE gap in the rest of their games).

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He will go to Arizona just like Stamkos came to Toronto.

As for the Matthews deal, I just can't really imagine a realistic trade with Arizona.

Reactions: Fairview

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I would be asking for at least their next 3-4 1st rounders on top of Chychrun and Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
AZ will offer max cap and max term when Matthews hits free agency. That was the fear Toronto had this last contract negotiation. This has been commented on by numerous hockey insiders. We will see in 4 more seasons whether this is true. Tick tock.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think we can close this one, conversation has went from a trade offer to just talking if AM bolts as a UFA in 4 years. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad