Proposal: Arizona - Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdyoucloser2003

Mar 11, 2020
Marietta, Georgia
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up. My son a huge Coyotes and a Matthews fan. Him and I were discussing if there is a way we could bring him home. We came up with the following

Toronto receives Jacob Chychrun, Clayton Keller and a 1st round pick

Arizona receives Auston Matthews

Is this enough or needs a bit of tweeking? Let's discuss.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I wouldn't accept that from Toronto's perspective. There are some good pieces heading to the Leafs in this proposal but not enough value to pry Matthews away from Toronto.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up. My son a huge Coyotes and a Matthews fan. Him and I were discussing if there is a way we could bring him home. We came up with the following

Toronto receives Jacob Chychrun, Clayton Keller and a 1st round pick

Arizona receives Auston Matthews

Is this enough or needs a bit of tweeking? Let's discuss.

That's not enough.

I think Chychrun and Keller are good pieces, but to get Matthews, they would need to include one more roster player - and a valuable piece - and a package of picks.

I don't think your offer is even close to moving the needle.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There is no combination of roster players on Arizona that move the needle. I would want two unprotected 1sts and Hayton as a basis, then we could figure out how to balance salary. Otherwise wait till FA and shoot your shot.

Reactions: Ciao

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Good pieces, but really not a deal the leafs should be doing. Leafs aren't looking to trade matthews no matter what and you would not want to know what it would take. It would be much more then you'd like to give up.

Think a package along of the lines of this would be what the leafs would want.

Top 6 forward, top 4 d, top prospects, good physical grinder, 1st....

Keller, Chychrun, Soderstrom, Hayton, Crouse, 1st, Jenik,

Obviously that is deal that the coyotes should go nowhere near.

No team trades a 22 yr old top center, who has the most even strength goals in the league and is on pace for 90+ points.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Good pieces, but really not a deal the leafs should be doing. Leafs aren't looking to trade matthews no matter what and you would not want to know what it would take. It would be much more then you'd like to give up.

Think a package along of the lines of this would be what the leafs would want.

Keller, Chychrun, Soderstrom, Jenik, Crouse, 1st, Bergkvist,

No team trades a 22 yr old top center, who has the most even strength goals in the league and is on pace for 90+ points.

Keller is a 40 point analytically disastrous winger. How exactly would he be attractive to a gm like dubas or an organization like the leafs?

You also put together a package of 10 dimes. That isn't enough to get Matthews. You need 3-4 premium assets. Like Lafreniere type prospects. Not 7 meh pieces.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Chychyrun is a stud but that offer isnt even close value wise.

Hate to kill you dreams but Arizona doesnt have the assets in their organization to bring Matthews home.

You'd love Matthews to come home, and i'd love Mcdavid to come home. Neither are very realistic.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Keller has been a disaster since his rookie season. I loved him as a player in 2018 and thought he would be pretty much where marner is right now. He has yet to grow his game and doesnt bring enough offense nor consistent offense generation to be considered a elite piece.

Nylander had a shit year last year at 6.96 and paced for 41 points. His perceived value league wide was next to nothing around here. Keller had almost as bad a year this season with him pacing for 50ish points and being paid 7.14 million. He is not a valuable piece in a deal for a marner/matthews.

Chychrun is a great player and would be the leafs 2nd or 3rd best defenseman next year (depending on if his offensive game continue to grow or if muzzin takes a step back) but he is a lefty and not good enough to be the main piece in a deal where leafs are trading one of their two franchise players.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Keller is a 40 point analytically disastrous winger. How exactly would he be attractive to a gm like dubas or an organization like the leafs?

You also put together a package of 10 dimes. That isn't enough to get Matthews. You need 3-4 premium assets. Like Lafreniere type prospects. Not 7 meh pieces.

I just put their 3 best prospects (hayton (5th overall pick), Soderstrom (11th overall pick), Jenik (56pts in 27 games in the o), Keller who put up 65 just two years ago and was on pace for 51 and is only 21, chychrun who is a young top 4 d, crouse who would be a nice different element and a first round pick.

But like you said I totally agree. Matthews should not be traded and I wouldn't even trade him for the package listed I was just setting an example.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Just like how Montreal landed Tavares and Duchene.
Dont worry. Montreal doesnt need to spend big on a franchise C. They already drafted the next big thing in Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Also, not sure if you're aware, Montreal CAN land big fishes in free agency. They signed Karl Alzner not too far back.

Also why would Montreal allocate big money to stud free agents when they can draft and develop stars on their own, like Alex Galchenyuk, Michael McCarron, Nikita Scherbak, Jarred Tinordi, and Nathan Beauliou.

They also flexed their European connection by extending Alex Radulov long term, and also waved around their $$ and showed they take care of homegrown talent by handing Carey Price $10.5 a year until he is 40.

So even if a player like Matthews, Tavares, or Duchene wanted to go there, I think they would just stay the course.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Arizona could add 100 1st round picks but Matthews isn't leaving. Arizona doesn't have the assets to trade for him. The only way to get players like Matthews is through the draft once every decade or so.

Once every decade? Let me see Mackinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl all drafted in the same decade and all are better. Eichel, petterson are not far off and Lafreniere also has the potential to be as good as him and Dalhin could also end up being just as valuable. 100 1st?? Lol trade is awful for toronto but your comment is a joke.

Reactions: Fairview

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Keller, Chychrun, Soderstrom, Hayton, Crouse, 1st, Jenik,

6 first round picks AND a top prospect? Yeah, a deal the Coyotes would go nowhere near.

(I agree Matthews is not going to be traded regardless)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Arizona could add 100 1st round picks but Matthews isn't leaving. Arizona doesn't have the assets to trade for him. The only way to get players like Matthews is through the draft once every decade or so.
Or wait for him to be a UFA in 4 years.

God, Dubas is brain dead. How do you pay that much and give him the chance to leave town at the first possible opportunity?

Reactions: Fairview

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Once every decade? Let me see Mackinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl all drafted in the same decade and all are better. Eichel, petterson are not far off and Lafreniere also has the potential to be as good as him and Dalhin could also end up being just as valuable. 100 1st?? Lol trade is awful for toronto but your comment is a joke.

those guys arent all on the same team are they?

lafreniere isnt a C. Dahlin isn't a C. saying a team could wait 10 years to draft a franchise C is completely fine.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Or wait for him to be a UFA in 4 years.

God, Dubas is brain dead. How do you pay that much and give him the chance to leave town at the first possible opportunity?

1) it isnt the first possible opportunity
2) the number of 1st line C that have left a team via UFA in their prime is about 1 name long. Arizona might not even have a team in 4 1/2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad