Proposal: Arizona - Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Arizona waits until 2024 and gets him for free... i mean he signed until he was a UFA for a reason.......

he signed 1 year past when he could have been UFA. but yes he did that so he could get a bigger contract as a 27 year old

its almost comical to see comments like " just wait 4 years and get em for free", but then the same people will roast leafs fans for wanting to sign a hometown guy *cough stamkos

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
22 year old Matthews who was on pace for 55g/95pts would cost A LOT

OEL would be the centrepiece as a big D upgrade
Hayton added to possible become the 2C behind Tavares
Crouse to add a bit of grit to the bottom 6
2020 1st
2021 1st

that still probably wouldnt be enough

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Or through FA. In ~ 4 years

top tier C in their prime that have left via UFA in about 20 years

1) Tavares

yeah im liking the odds for Toronto. Will be fun to come back in 3 years when he signs an 8 year extension and laugh at all the "he is going to Arizona!" lemmings

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
1) it isnt the first possible opportunity
2) the number of 1st line C that have left a team via UFA in their prime is about 1 name long. Arizona might not even have a team in 4 1/2 years
Matthew's looks like he has a plan and Dubas is complicit.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up.
Congrats on your first proposal. I suppose you started with a bang. Generally these types of proposals are not well received. It's kind of like when someone likes to look at your girlfriend a little too much. Back off, he's ours.

It's natural that fans from Arizona would covet him, we know how that is, but you will not find many who want to part with our franchise player. There is no reason to trade him, we've waited a long time to get a player like him.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up. My son a huge Coyotes and a Matthews fan. Him and I were discussing if there is a way we could bring him home. We came up with the following

Toronto receives Jacob Chychrun, Clayton Keller and a 1st round pick

Arizona receives Auston Matthews

Is this enough or needs a bit of tweeking? Let's discuss.

Not even close.

This is the ask
Hayton
Dvorak
Chychrun
Keller

Not to mention we now have way to many LHD (Reilly/Chychrun/Sandin) which means we need to somehow add Jake Muzzin to the trade which means on top of the players asked we would want picks. What is Muzzin worth? A couple of seconds?

Unlike many TML fans I am not opposed to trading AM but it’s has to be at a premium and as said Muzzin has to be part of that deal.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
top tier C in their prime that have left via UFA in about 20 years

1) Tavares

yeah im liking the odds for Toronto. Will be fun to come back in 3 years when he signs an 8 year extension and laugh at all the "he is going to Arizona!" lemmings

You will probably add Matthews to that list sooner than later. At least you guys will still pyjama boy to rely on.

yeah the plan is to maximize his earnings. most players do that. In 3 years Matthews will get an 8 year extension and posters like you will be nowhere to be found

He was smart enough to do it early in his career. Next contract will be a home town down to play in front of mommy and papa and going at the rink in some new fancy sandals

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You will probably add Matthews to that list sooner than later. At least you guys will still pyjama boy to rely on.

He was smart enough to do it early in his career. Next contract will be a home town down to play in front of mommy and papa and going at the rink in some new fancy sandals

The team chose 5 years to get a lower cap hit. Matthews wanted 8 years.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
6 first round picks AND a top prospect? Yeah, a deal the Coyotes would go nowhere near.

(I agree Matthews is not going to be traded regardless)

The fact is a leafs fan replied it wasn't enough

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This is my 1st try starting a topic on this site since signing up. My son a huge Coyotes and a Matthews fan. Him and I were discussing if there is a way we could bring him home. We came up with the following

Toronto receives Jacob Chychrun, Clayton Keller and a 1st round pick

Arizona receives Auston Matthews

Is this enough or needs a bit of tweeking? Let's discuss.
Matthews doesnt leave Toronto inkess he wants to. That simple. He will be the best Goal scorer in the league next year and for a while. He may ne now
If not for great years by leon and Pat's...those guy dont grow on trees. Best shot in hockey . It's not that your offer is ridiculous it's that teams are not going to trade young franchise players who can score 50 to 60 goals...a first round pick does nothing at this point as they need D help .

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The team chose 5 years to get a lower cap hit. Matthews wanted 8 years.

Wait a minute. So he signed the second highest cap hit contract in the league (now #3 9k AAV behind Panarin) right after his ELC that bring him straight to UFA and THAT was a the “low cap hit” short term deal?

You are high my friend. Matthews agent made Dubas looked like an amateur. Matthews got both the bread and the butter in this deal :help:

Reactions: Fairview

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Matthews is traded in the forseeable future it will be at or around the 2023, if they agree to part ways. With one year left on his deal it will look a lot like the Karlsson deal.

1st rounder (guaranteed)
2nd rounder (guaranteed)Top Prospect
Solid B+ prospect
NHL roster forward (mid young twenties, top 6 or on edge of such)
NHL roster d-man (mid young twenties, top 4 potential)
Conditional Picks on re-signing (at least 1 1st)

So in present day terms ..
Dvorak + Crouse (no equivalent defenseman) + Soderstrom +Jenik + 2020 2nd+ 2021 1st + Cond 2022 1st.

That's the 1 year from UFA deal. Today we're talking about 4

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
he signed 1 year past when he could have been UFA. but yes he did that so he could get a bigger contract as a 27 year old

its almost comical to see comments like " just wait 4 years and get em for free", but then the same people will roast leafs fans for wanting to sign a hometown guy *cough stamkos
Only thing comical is you thinking that the 2 examples are comparable. Matthew's being 1 of what 2 players truly raised in arizona (and first one picked first overall) is an exact comparable to those hundreds of players born in the Toronto region "supposedly" wanting to sign a hometown guy. (mod not needed)

Last edited by a moderator:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1) I know AZ isn’t trading for Matthews. Maybe we get an asset that moves the needle if we win the 1st overall pick this year, and toss that into a package. Even then, I doubt it.

2) While I’ve been extremely disappointed in Keller since his sophomore season, the Coyotes have had the 2nd worst combined offense in the NHL since he broke into the league. Nobody scores here.

Look at what happened to the numbers of guys we acquired like Stepan, Kessel, and Hall. They fall through the floor.

I have ZERO doubt Keller would immediately hope back up to at least 65pts in Toronto. Probably more.

No saying that means Toronto should trade Matthews in a deal that includes him. Just saying that it’s incorrect to call him “just a 40pt winger” when we are discussing him landing in TO. That would change immediately and I’d stake my life savings on it.

Reactions: qqaz

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Matthews is traded in the forseeable future it will be at or around the 2023, if they agree to part ways. With one year left on his deal it will look a lot like the Karlsson deal.

1st rounder (guaranteed)
2nd rounder (guaranteed)Top Prospect
Solid B+ prospect
NHL roster forward (mid young twenties, top 6 or on edge of such)
NHL roster d-man (mid young twenties, top 4 potential)
Conditional Picks on re-signing (at least 1 1st)

So in present day terms ..
Dvorak + Crouse (no equivalent defenseman) + Soderstrom +Jenik + 2020 2nd+ 2021 1st + Cond 2022 1st.

That's the 1 year from UFA deal. Today we're talking about 4

Or you’re more likely to get the Trouba return because he won’t want to negotiate or a sign a new deal unless it’s with Arizona

Reactions: Fairview

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Wait a minute. So he signed the second highest cap hit contract in the league (now #3 9k AAV behind Panarin) right after his ELC that bring him straight to UFA and THAT was a the “low cap hit” short term deal?matthews openly admitted he wanted an 8 year deal

You are high my friend. Matthews agent made Dubas looked like an amateur. Matthews got both the bread and the butter in this deal :help:
matthews openly admitted he wanted 8 years

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Or you’re more likely to get the Trouba return because he won’t want to negotiate or a sign a new deal unless it’s with Arizona

????? Matthews wants to be famous. He wants to be a star. GQ, Bieber etc. If last summer proved anything. At all. He is a nobody in Arizona

I mean people didn’t even know who he was. In his own building. When it was their actual job to. Know who he was.

I could see NYR. Or even LA. But Arizona????

They will still be paying off the millions in cheater fines in 4 years.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Hence the conditional picks for re-siging.

Also... "unless it's with Arizona"... who's the topic of the thread? Think before you angst.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
1) I know AZ isn’t trading for Matthews. Maybe we get an asset that moves the needle if we win the 1st overall pick this year, and toss that into a package. Even then, I doubt it.

2) While I’ve been extremely disappointed in Keller since his sophomore season, the Coyotes have had the 2nd worst combined offense in the NHL since he broke into the league. Nobody scores here.

Look at what happened to the numbers of guys we acquired like Stepan, Kessel, and Hall. They fall through the floor.

I have ZERO doubt Keller would immediately hope back up to at least 65pts in Toronto. Probably more.

No saying that means Toronto should trade Matthews in a deal that includes him. Just saying that it’s incorrect to call him “just a 40pt winger” when we are discussing him landing in TO. That would change immediately and I’d stake my life savings on it.

I don't care how many points he does or doesn't put up. He's a horrible play driver. Play driving. That's what I care about. Keller is amongst the worst in the league. Play driving is literally the first thing Dubas looks at when he has acquired players, judging by every acquisition he's made.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't care how many points he does or doesn't put up. He's a horrible play driver. Play driving. That's what I care about. Keller is amongst the worst in the league. Play driving is literally the first thing Dubas looks at when he has acquired players, judging by every acquisition he's made.
I hear you. What I can tell you is that Rick Tocchet and his staff are an abomination. They want players to treat the puck like a live hand-grenade. The entire philosophy is to play "fast" which means rushing plays, and always being panicked. It's the ugliest damn thing I've ever seen. It's not apples-to-apples with the rest of the league.

Reactions: qqaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad