Seravalli: Arizona looking to improve their roster, will not be taking cap dumps or trading Keller/Schmaltz/Crouse

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Baby steps. Long as they don't overpay, don't see the issue. The fans deserve a better on the ice product anyway. Plus, the amount of hate this franchise gets on here is always worth a read.
AZ slowly turning the corner. They were enjoyable to watch at home this year. I think they had a winning record at home.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
12+38 for Rossi+21 ;)

Then we do 21 for Lafreniere. Haha.
Doesn't make sense for Minnesota IMO. 12 is already a crapshoot, there's not significant enough difference between that and 21. That and 38 for Rossi only makes sense if they've internally given up on Rossi, which I don't think would be smart. 6 for Rossi+21 is more interesting proposal.

Plus Minnesota is in a spot where they would really like to see young (and cheap) players like Rossi graduating into the roster, not reset the clock on the whole development process by trading a player on the cusp of graduating for a pick. So maybe targeting Guenther, Geekie or (gasp) Cooley would make more sense for them.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I bet the conversation that Keller had with the organization after failed arena plan has a little to do with this. BA has also made comments that we're over 50% through the rebuild. Time to start making improvements.
The days of Kassian, Eriksson, Nemeth type players filling up roster spots is hipefully over.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
At some point you can't turn things around while at the same time continue to be a dumping ground for the league's cap problems. They've taken on that role for the last few years, but at some point its time to actuallytry to get better. By being the league dumping ground, they've managed to acquire a lot of assets and save some actual dollars. Now that they have the assets, they can actually go out and get some good NHL players to not be such an embarrassment. If they surround their good younger players with some real NHL talent, maybe their young players will actually improve some more!

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Made this a trade on ARMGM
Arizona receives
Jean LUC foudy
Samuel Girard
Pavel Francouz
2023 1st

Colorado receives
Hayton
Crouse
Vejmelka
2023 2nd

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They're not trading Crouse....

Also, good for Arizona.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were told to start trying
They also aren’t trading Hayton who was producing at a 70 point clip when he got moved up into the prime center spot while continuing to be solid defensively. He’s gonna be a great #2 center behind Cooley and I would wager a huge sum is every bit as untouchable as the three guys listed in the OP.

What a god awful proposal for AZ - and I’m an Avs fan. Downgrade in net while giving up two core forwards who bring all the size and two-way play they need to balance and grow their forward units for a Smurf defender, a prospect and a pick which as explained are things they don’t need any more of.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Upgrading the team but not giving up anything...
This is a complete new approach to hockey
No it’s not. Look at Bjorkstrand and Pacioretty last year. Look at decent UFAs that sign 2-3 year deals for 2-3aav. Smart waiver claims like Ingram and Valimaki help too. It’s very much possible to improve while hanging onto assets. They aren’t trying to make the playoffs. They’re just done tanking on purpose. Why are people acting like this is binary? There’s space between 82-0 and 0-82.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Buying out Nemeth and Kassian. I wonder if they make a last ditch effort to stay in Arizona by getting Matthews. They need something drastic to happen if they are going to try and secure a building site/arena.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trying to improve team for eventual sale?

Improving team = More likely to be better off the bat in SLC which would be appealing to new owners bring team to city
There are two very plausible arena options currently. If both fall through, they’re likely off to SLC. But there’s several months before any of that becomes clear. This decision has nothing to do with SLC. Those kinds of decisions are at least 3-4 months away from beginning to happen.

Reactions: hbk

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
No offense to Crouse (I'd like him on my team) but when hes listed as one of your untouchables, you're going to have a bad time. And Schmaltz is probably worse.

Rough times Arizona.
Actually GMBA said he wants players that want to be there. All 3 said they want to be there.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If AZ wants Matthews aren't they going to have to give up Crouse/Keller/Schmaltz? Like one of them?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
This is basically saying they won't be taking other teams cap problems to "buy" draft picks. This absolutely makes sense for a team with no rink playing in front of 4600 fans until that gets resolved. Arizona is easily at the cap floor, so they are not going to need the LTIR dumps to artifically get to the cap floor (without actually spending real salary getting to the floor). They also have so many draft picks that at somepoint there won't be spots for more players that more picks will bring.

As a Hawks fan....this is good news as one less competitor to buy picks for bad cap.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If AZ wants Matthews aren't they going to have to give up Crouse/Keller/Schmaltz? Like one of them?
No, they'll wait for UFA if Toronto wants a core player. But then again maybe Doan will sneak a fax over and the Coyotes will get Matthews for a 2024 3rd after his bonus is paid...

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Doesn't make sense for Minnesota IMO. 12 is already a crapshoot, there's not significant enough difference between that and 21. That and 38 for Rossi only makes sense if they've internally given up on Rossi, which I don't think would be smart. 6 for Rossi+21 is more interesting proposal.

Plus Minnesota is in a spot where they would really like to see young (and cheap) players like Rossi graduating into the roster, not reset the clock on the whole development process by trading a player on the cusp of graduating for a pick. So maybe targeting Guenther, Geekie or (gasp) Cooley would make more sense for them.
I wouldn't count out Rossi going to AZ just yet, BA is kinky, he likes his 3-ways (sorry, trying to be funny, but a 3rd team may be involved and Tourigny likes Rossi).

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Maybe the league told them they’re sick of them blatantly circumventing the cap floor while playing in a broom closet of an arena. Operate like a real professional franchise or GTFO

Last edited:

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Maybe the league toks them they’re sick of them blatantly circumventing the cap floor while playing in a broom closet of an arena. Operate like a real professional franchise or GTFO

Gary would have to be delusional to ever do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad