Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Coyotes claim G Jonas Johansson off waivers from the Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Good for JJ I think. I was confused why Avs signed him at first place, since they have Annunen in the roster and he is better than JJ.
The Avs wanted a goalie with some NHL experience to backup Annunen, and they like JJ on a personal level. He's got flaws like all depth goalies, but his style works with the Avs system so they can cover up some of his limitations.

Also he clinched the presidents trophy
Wasn't that the game he got a shutout in? Big-game goalie!

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
ahem! quoting myself from another thread, posted yesterday.

for anyone wanting a real shot at Bedard, Jonas Johansson should be a no-brainer pick.

Bill, since you are reading the HFBoards, DM me so we can discuss a contract, my role in the org, management plans, etc. Im not being paid currently by any other org, so relax, Ill be cheap. :thumbu:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Replacement level player making replacement level money. You’re getting what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less.

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
Coyotes have new goalie scouts and they've been great at identifying more developed pro goalies that have gone under the radar. Vejmelka, Wedgewood, Gillies etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Johansson turns into a decent backup.

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
Tokarski on waivers today. He has to be better than JJ, right?

Don't think he is better to be honest, but we'll see. Think if any goalie gets picked up its Domingue. Better size, better net coverage, better goalie.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Coyotes have new goalie scouts and they've been great at identifying more developed pro goalies that have gone under the radar. Vejmelka, Wedgewood, Gillies etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Johansson turns into a decent backup.

As of today, Wedgewood's 0.906 career SV% is the only one of the 4 you named that's even above 0.900. I could be wrong, but maybe there's a good reason these guys have all gone under the radar.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Don't think he is better to be honest, but we'll see. Think if any goalie gets picked up its Domingue. Better size, better net coverage, better goalie.

Johansson played 11 games for Florida and Colorado, faced 264 shots and had a 0.852 SV% and 4.81 GAA. Those are the top two teams from the regular season, and his numbers are that bad.

Tokarski played 29 games for Buffalo, faced 900 shots and managed an 0,899 SV%. Not great, even for playing in Buffalo, but nowhere near as bad as Johansson.

Even if Tokarski isn't really better, Johansson is still somehow much much much worse.

Reactions: banks

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
As of today, Wedgewood's 0.906 career SV% is the only one of the 4 you named that's even above 0.900. I could be wrong, but maybe there's a good reason these guys have all gone under the radar.

Goalie stats are very team dependent, more than any other position. Those stats do not matter and that's why there are scouts and not just people who watch stat boxes all day. That's why for example Vejmelka, who's probably a top 15 goalie in the league, had subpar stats even in the Czech league. There were like 10-15 goalies who had better stats then him the offseason he signed with the Coyotes. Most of these goalies have gone under the radar for inefficiencies sure, but part of what a scout does is find inefficiencies that are either possibly fixable or workable as is. There is a lot to work with in Johansson, I think he really just needs to work on a few things and to be given an opportunity. I actually feel similarly to Gillies who was picked up by the Coyotes this summer as well.

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
He also had 5.11 GAA / 0.808 SV% for the Colorado Eagles, and 3.67 / 0.889 SV% for the Charlotte Checkers.

Reactions: banks

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
ahem! quoting myself from another thread, posted yesterday.
Red their tank commander in Paul Maurice!

Bill, since you are reading the HFBoards, DM me so we can discuss a contract, my role in the org, management plans, etc. Im not being paid currently by any other org, so relax, Ill be cheap.
Florida all ready hired their tank vinander in Paul Maurice!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad