Confirmed Trade: [ARI/CAR] Jordan Martinook and 2018 4th round pick for Marcus Kruger (10% retained) and 2018 3rd

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

From Chayka's post-trade comments: Coyotes’ acquisition of Kruger may signal makeover for shutdown line

In doing so, they may have closed the door on the return of a second piece of that effective line. Center Brad Richardson, 33, can become a free agent on July 1. While general manager John Chayka did not rule out Richardson’s return, he acknowledged the realities of the marketplace.
“It’s a similar type of profile,” Chayka said. “Looking at the free-agent market of which Brad is a part, I’d say that there are very few of them that check these boxes. With the salary cap rising and demand for center icemen high, it’s going to be a very competitive marketplace. We wanted to make sure if there was an opportunity to get a player like this we did.”

In other words, acquiring Kruger was insurance in the (probable) event Richardson moves on.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Kruger was only making $2.3M in actual salary next year, but you are right. It's giving Kruger a chance to play somewhere else while getting a guy in Martinook that they can use on the 4th line. Canes save only $220K after the retention and move back 23 spots in from 73--> 96.

I'm fine with this.
I've seen all kind of numbers mentioned so far in this thread as to the amount saved by Carolina.

In hard cash (salary), they save $191.667K.

Their cap saving is $974.667K.

Unless my arithmetics is awfully wrong.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How is Kruger noise? His salary alone ruins that argument, he is signed longer and to a more expensive deal, and salary matters in arizona, that limits there options.

He isn't signed longer and isn't at a salary that will effect Arizona next season in any way.

So he's noise. Arguably even noise with upside if he works out as a regular NHL player.

EDIT: for Carolina, yeah. Getting Kruger out of the organization has valuable upside I'm sure.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Kruger is an offensive blackhole and allergic to contact. Most bottom 6 centers in the AHL have more offensive ability. He's simply not a good hockey player anymore.

Don't know much about Martinook but he looks like a decent 13th forward. Basically another Jooris.

Reactions: sheriff bart

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Kruger is an offensive blackhole and allergic to contact. Most bottom 6 centers in the AHL have more offensive ability. He's simply not a good hockey player anymore.

Don't know much about Martinook but he looks like a decent 13th forward. Basically another Jooris.
Canes fans might not know Martinook because how many times has Charlotte played the Northeast teams on his way up in the Arizona system...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm amazed at these soft/avoid contact claims, as Kruger was always a guy who took hits to make the extra play in his day. I don't know if just the poor play reflected worse but even when he could hardly use both hands. And unless the Hurricane's home stat team just overblows hit totals, he dished hits like never before in his career last year.

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Coyotes’ acquisition of Kruger may signal makeover for shutdown line

About halfway down Kruger says he had a sports hernia this past season. I watched that ruin Mike Smith for awhile until he finally got it fixed. I think this is a great trade. Kruger and Richardson are very similar players except, from the looks of it, Kruger will be cheaper. In addition we upgrade to a 3rd round pick from 4th. Martinook was a 4th liner that we can replace with someone like Crouse who may be getting it. Good move for both teams.

Reactions: iSophagus

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've seen all kind of numbers mentioned so far in this thread as to the amount saved by Carolina.

Kruger 2018-19 salary: $2.3m
Martinook 2018-19 salary: $1.85m

Carolina retains $230k on Kruger (10%)

So net:
- Arizona adds $220k in salary ($2.07m - $1.85m)
- Carolina sheds $220k in salary. ($2.3m - $1.85m - $230k)

I imagine cap hit doesn’t matter for either team.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Kruger 2018-19 salary: $2.3m
Martinook 2018-19 salary: $1.85m

Carolina retains $230k on Kruger (10%)

So net:
- Arizona adds $220k in salary ($2.07m - $1.85m)
- Carolina sheds $220k in salary. ($2.3m - $1.85m - $230k)

I imagine cap hit doesn’t matter for either team.
Isn't the 10% on the cap hit and not the actual salary ?

In which case Carolina retains $308.333K.

But you're right about Martinook 2018-19 salary.

So Carolina, if I'm right about the 10%, saves $141.667K.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Isn't the 10% on the cap hit and not the actual salary ?

In which case Carolina retains $308.333K.

But you're right about Martinook 2018-19 salary.

So Carolina, if I'm right about the 10%, saves $141.667K.

All Retained Salary Transactions must be identical %’s of both salary and cap for the player’s contract.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
All Retained Salary Transactions must be identical %’s of both salary and cap for the player’s contract.
Yes, but I believe the retention percentage is on the cap hit of the contract and not the actual year-to-year salary.

PS: Unless you mean to say that there might be 2 different amounts: one for the % of salary (which might change year-to-year) and one for cap hit (which has to remain the same for the remainder of that SPC).

PPS: And you're probably right, if I understand the illustration given in the CBA:

"Any and all Player Salary and Bonuses in a Retained Salary Transaction (i.e., the actual amounts paid to a Player in the remaining years of the SPC) shall be allocated between the two Clubs participating in the Retained Salary Transaction on the same percentage basis as the allocation of the Averaged Amount and such percentage cannot be altered from year to year. The Player shall be paid by the Club for whom he is playing (or most recently played for) when such payment is due.

Illustration: Club A agrees to Trade a Player to Club B and agrees to retain thirty (30) percent of that SPC's Averaged Amount (i.e., Club A's Averaged Club Salary in each of the remaining years under that SPC shall include 30% of the Player's Averaged Amount in each of the remaining years under that SPC). Club A shall also be responsible for reimbursing Club B for thirty (30) percent of the Player's Player Salary and Bonuses in each of the remaining years under that SPC."

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The yotes are trying to do what the canes did, to take players from the hawks organization. Hammer, Panik, and now kruger.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Seriously, like what a regression in such short time....

(Congrats on mod!)
That's the thing with depth; you're the most awesome and a true fan favourite @ 1 million, but everything about your very existence sucks @ 3. Can't get too attached, neither as a fan or an executive.

And thanks. I quite like this blue-coloured name. :laugh:

Reactions: Tryamkin

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Is this Waddell's first deal as interim GM?

I hate how this guy and his boy Dudley got the job. They destroyed the Thrashers franchise. Watch Kruger become a serviceable player back to his old ways after his sports hernia and that pick becoming a star. And then watch the Canes get relocated. I swear this guy just comes in to mop up non-traditional hockey markets from existence.

Reactions: iSophagus

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Mouser's post clears it up. A poster on the Canes board brought up a good point though.

Kruger was going to be in the AHL, so the Canes would have needed to pay him the $2.3M as well as find a player, probably costing $600K-$1M to play on the NHL roster as well so there is an opportunity cost savings as well. Martinook will fill a role that someone else would have had to fill (with Kruger in the AHL).

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Is this Waddell's first deal as interim GM?

I hate how this guy and his boy Dudley got the job. They destroyed the Thrashers franchise. Watch Kruger become a serviceable player back to his old ways after his sports hernia and that pick becoming a star. And then watch the Canes get relocated. I swear this guy just comes in to mop up non-traditional hockey markets from existence.

What Kruger becomes in AZ is irrelevant to Carolina, because he wasn't going to become that guy in Carolina.

And if swapping a 4th round pick for a 3rd (meaning AZ moves up 23 spots) ends up with AZ drafting a star, so be it. The chances that Carolina and AZ would have drafted the exact same player at #73 in the draft is probably zero, so again, it's irrelevant.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Meh, I don't think there is a winner, or loser. If Kruger works out as a 4C, it's good for AZ. If not, they still improved their pick by 23 spots for a guy that was a UFA at the end of the season and likely wasn't in their plans.

If Martinook works out for Carolina,then great. If not, they only lost 23 spots in the middle of the draft, where the odds of getting a good player aren't much different and maybe they can move him at the deadline to recoup some of that.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
yeah I don't think "winner/loser" type trades are made during the Stanley Cup playoffs. this is more like a shuffling of spare parts to better match organizational needs. the parts are in relatively the same echelon of value, so everybody's happy, and everybody still has plenty of time to make additional, more impactful moves before free agency.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

What? This is just completely wrong. The guy will go into the corners and take a big hit almost every game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Even if it was because of a sports hernia (which it very well could be) or because he didn't mesh with Bill Peters, it still doesn't matter. With Necas likely coming on board this season, with Aho potentially playing C, with Staal, Lindholm, and Rask at the NHL level, and with Wallmark looking ready, etc... Kruger had to move.

If he rebounds, it's great for AZ, but it wouldn't have mattered as he likely wouldn't have even had a chance to rebound in Carolina. Hopefully, by acquiring Martinook, this means that Nordstrom is also out of a job which is addition by subtraction for Carolina.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Sure wasn't when he was here. The guy was a total black hole, a place where all offense (opponent and his own teammates) offense came to die. Have to have some level of offensive ability in the league anymore.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad