Confirmed Trade: [ARI/CAR] Jordan Martinook and 2018 4th round pick for Marcus Kruger (10% retained) and 2018 3rd

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Chayka picking up blackhawks cause he wants to change a losing culture? Seems like he targets a lot of past hawk players.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What are they clearing the space for?

Not cap space, salary. Cap Space is irrelevant to Carolina.

Even so, as I posted later, I think it's more a case of getting a guy that they think can play on the 4th line for a guy that wouldn't be playing, giving Kruger a chance to play elsewhere and saving a few $$ along the way.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't like John Chyka, I think he's done a terrible job, and I think his results show that, that said this is a solid move I still think Kruger can be a solid bottom 6 center and they got a better pick.

Nothing wrong with this

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Seems like a head scratcher of a deal for the Coyotes. Martinook’s a decent player that always gave the Oilers fits. Good size and work ethic.

Kruger is... bad.

Kruger was bad this past season, no doubt, but maybe it was a team match issue. It's a low risk "hope he can rebound and be a solid 4C" type move, and if he doesn't they improved their pick by 23 spots. I don't know, just speculating.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
There wasn’t one game this year where Kruger was above AHL replacement-level. I hope he turns it around in Phoenix but it will take some work. I’m happy as a Canes fan.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Seems like a head scratcher of a deal for the Coyotes. Martinook’s a decent player that always gave the Oilers fits. Good size and work ethic.

Kruger is... bad.

I don't see a big issue with it from the AZ POV. Arizona's 4c this season is a UFA and likely not re-signed. Kruger with one season remaining at $2.03m salary (after the Carolina retention) isn't a major risk.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
LOL

Carolina doesn't even have a GM and can still pull off a better trade then Chia....and I know they have Rick Dudley as the PoHO but still..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like Kruger just fine. I put together plenty of Kruger to AZ with retention proposals earlier in the season. It’s pretty clear that talks with Brad Richardson didn’t go well and the two sides are moving on. Arizona needed a 4C who can PK as a result.

Martinook is a fine. He’s a fine 4LW. He’s a good room guy, he plays hard, and he’s good on the PK. There are about 50 of those available for nothing at any given time.

Kruger’s cap hit sucks, but Arizona only cares about actual dollars. Kruger had a back diving deal, and with retention, the Yotes only owe him two million actual dollars. Not bad.

Anyway, he’s probably buddies with OEL and Hjalmarsson, both of whom need to re-sign. This might help with that, and we upgrade from a 4th to a 3rd. Whoopdeedoo.

Whatevs...

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't like John Chyka, I think he's done a terrible job, and I think his results show that, that said this is a solid move I still think Kruger can be a solid bottom 6 center and they got a better pick.

Nothing wrong with this
Martinook is a better player than Kruger

the draft picks do nothing for the team today other then give them another asset.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't see a big issue with it from the AZ POV. Arizona's 4c this season is a UFA and likely not re-signed. Kruger with one season remaining at $2.03m salary (after the Carolina retention) isn't a major risk.
You have to remember this is the same crowd that was calling Chayka an idiot for trading Toby Rieder for a backup goalie a little while ago. Fans on this forum get really mad when Chayka trades completely replaceable 4th line wingers for other depth positions. Apparently the leagues fans think really highly of whichever 4th line LW the Coyotes happen to be employing at any given time.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If there was a team where Marcus Kruger might see some top six ice time, it's Arizona. Good trade for him.

Reactions: THall4

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Right, this trade is fine for both teams. Both guys are UFAs in one season, both are at best 4th liners. Canes get a guy they can use, AZ gets a guy that maybe can be a 4C and moves up from 96 to 73 in the draft which improves their odds of getting good player down the road. A "meh" trade that makes sense on both ends.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Good trade for the canes. Not sure what Chayka accomplishes here.

Not sure how close Kruger might be with Hjalmarsson and OEL. All three are entering their walk years, maybe adding a buddy to the squad will make staying a little bit more attractive.

Kruger didn't work out in Carolina, but he might carve out a PK bottom six center role with the Coyotes. Arizona finished with a respectable record (17-10-3 after February), so there might be some optimism there.

Kruger's actual dollars is cheaper than his cap hit, so that'll help Arizona reach the cap floor as well. The floor was 54 million this year. CapFriendly has the Coyotes at 52 million with Domi and some depth spots to still be signed.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I was really startled to see just how low Martinook's +/- was this year. I mean the majority of the team is in the -7 to -15ish range but four guys were really really low

Richardson-24
Martinook
OEL -28
Goligoski -31

Not making any commentary/insinuation, just surprised as no other player was below -17

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Kruger is... bad.

Good trade for the canes. Not sure what Chayka accomplishes here.

Martinook is a better player than Kruger

the draft picks do nothing for the team today other then give them another asset.

Kruger may be an upgrade at 4C over Richardson, was was rumored to want term in his next contract. May not produce much offense, but his possession metrics (esp. shot supression) and faceoff ability are more than fine for what you want from a 4C. Martinook was a good soldier, but his skillset is replaceable and gives Crouse an opportunity to become an NHL regular in our bottom six.

4LW + 4th for a 4C at 2M for one year and a 3rd - I'll take it.

Reactions: Jakey53

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Kruger may be an upgrade at 4C over Richardson, was was rumored to want term in his next contract. May not produce much offense, but his possession metrics (esp. shot supression) and faceoff ability are more than fine for what you want from a 4C. Martinook was a good soldier, but his skillset is replaceable and gives Crouse an opportunity to become an NHL regular in our bottom six.

4LW + 4th for a 4C at 2M for one year and a 3rd - I'll take it.

The key is if Kruger can still be a 4C. He certainly couldn't in Carolina last year, but maybe that was a match with the coach/personnel. Either way, I agree with you, it seems like a decent, albeit very minor, move for each team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad