Are you happy with the direction of the organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
i'm sorry... I really don't know what you are asking me here.

Only a few words, not sure what's confusing about it.

Marner isn't eligible for the AHL next year, wasn't Rielly in the same boat? Junior or Leafs?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I happened to be flipping channels yesterday and saw a graphic where Chicago's top 5 players consumed more cap than the entire Leafs team that was on the ice and all the other Canadian teams were icing about $55M in cap and the Leafs were around $32M.

Why do you think that is?

Also someone was mentioning that by not watching I'm missing Rielly develop. Why aren't I missing Nylander develop? That guy already performed in a mens league last season and yet he's still not in the show. But I know your reponses already and it will be that management feel he'll develop better in the AHL when the real answer is that he would help the NHL team too much and it will be harder to get a top 4 pick.

The key to your misguided perspective is that management are pros so that we can't possibly second guess them. If they say Nylander should be in the AHL it's gospel. But all you have to do is understand that the real objective is to lose intentionally and if you think for yourself it becomes very obvious. Let's face it, management has basically admitted it, yet many of you don't believe it. Why do you think that is?

Toronto's 5 or 6 most expensive forwards were injured...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Only a few words, not sure what's confusing about it.

Marner isn't eligible for the AHL next year, wasn't Rielly in the same boat? Junior or Leafs?

like I said - I can't remember if Rielly was or wasn't.
that's why i said - i would have sent Rielly right back to Junior - especially if he lost a year of development due to his injury.

i don't know if marner is in the 'same boat" so to speak, because he hasn't lost a year. (knock on all the wood in the room), so the decision is more of - can he handle the pace vs. do you send him to Junior and whatever.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
He don't even watch the Leafs.... The guy thinks we are icing a 35mil cap team on purpose FFS.

The Hawks didn't tank is too funny. I needed a lunch time laugh, surveying is slow in the winter.....

Jun 27, 2005
Drafted #3 twice and #1 overall, didn't tank.

OK.

The first overall was after winning the lottery from 5th. They tried to ice a winning team that season and finished 5th last. That's the opposite of our Leafs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
because they are injured, you .... 're very lucky that we're on a message board. Holy smokes.

most of their players are on the IR. anyone they'd call up is still going to be making an ELC or something close to it.

Excellent... Unleash your anger, feel the power... Anyways haha that's more like it, we have a fan here!

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
that's why i said - i would have sent Rielly right back to Junior - especially if he lost a year of development due to his injury.

i don't know if marner is in the 'same boat" so to speak, because he hasn't lost a year. (knock on all the wood in the room), so the decision is more of - can he handle the pace vs. do you send him to Junior and whatever.

I've been saying all along that a hybrid year is needed for Marner.

Start the year here, dominate the WJHC, then decide what to do for the 2nd half based on what you've seen at that point.

He can gain a lot by being a pro for a few months early on.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The reasons why a team picks top five are meaningless, the end result is the same.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The first overall was after winning the lottery from 5th. They tried to ice a winning team that season and finished 5th last. That's the opposite of our Leafs.

:laugh:

no, that is EXACTLY the Leafs last year...... except, we didn't win the lotto. You said when we had Phil and Dion, that was a legit 4th last finish, and was not tanking.

So didn't we try to win, and finish 4th last? You said so yourself, now it dont fit the narrative?

Jun 27, 2005
So getting babcock = Tank. Btw the hawks were terrible. What a stupid thread

Yes, the Hawks were terrible while trying to win. Very much like the Nonis Leafs. Nonis did not tank. He just sucked, like the Hawks. You don't have to intentionally lose to get unlucky with picks and UFA's and still suck. Shanahan is tanking.

There is a massive difference. Do you really not see the difference?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
he could have I think.

Honestly - I think if he had been under the Shanahan regime he would have been with the Marlies (quite frankly, would have benefited him - and us financially). and I think had Mark Frazer didn't get hurt - he probably would have been sent down (or back to ... i wanna say Moose Jaw?)

Your 1st reply to me said he could have, now you can't remember and/or don't know.
Hopefully you never get called to a witness stand! :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes, the Hawks were terrible while trying to win. Very much like the Nonis Leafs. Nonis did not tank. He just sucked, like the Hawks. You don't have to intentionally lose to get unlucky with picks and UFA's and still suck. Shanahan is tanking.

There is a massive difference. Do you really not see the difference?

The difference here is that Nonis and Burke tried to buy a winner, while Shanahan, Dubas and Lamoriello are trying to develop a winner. You can't see the difference you're trying to even suggest. You're all over the place and making exceptions to fit whatever narrative you're getting at.

We'll see who comes out on top. I really don't see the big deal when the end product will be very likely a lot better. Welcome to the NHL cap era where an 18 year old is more valuable than a 35 year old.

Jun 27, 2005
:laugh:

no, that is EXACTLY the Leafs last year...... except, we didn't win the lotto. You said when we had Phil and Dion, that was a legit 4th last finish, and was not tanking.

So didn't we try to win, and finish 4th last? You said so yourself, now it dont fit the narrative?

Exactly, you're so close. The Leafs started last season trying to win. They did not start by tanking. Then after a year of evaluation by an incompetent Shanahan he realized that half way through the season that this team sucked. Then he decided to lose intentionally with a horrible coach etc, but it was too late to make the bottom 2. This year he went all out tank but it can only guarantee as top 4 pick even if when he finishes last.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Exactly, you're so close. The Leafs started last season trying to win. They did not start by tanking. Then after a year of evaluation by an incompetent Shanahan he realized that half way through the season that this team sucked. Then he decided to lose intentionally with a horrible coach etc, but it was too late to make the bottom 2. This year he went all out tank but it can only guarantee as top 4 pick even if when he finishes last.

You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

For starters, if hiring a horrible coach indicates that a team is losing on purpose, what does hiring Mike Babcock indicate?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I've been saying all along that a hybrid year is needed for Marner.

Start the year here, dominate the WJHC, then decide what to do for the 2nd half based on what you've seen at that point.

He can gain a lot by being a pro for a few months early on.

hmm.
that's an idea.

and relatively speaking we're generally "good" in the first 1/2 of the year anyway - go to WJC - then go down. win win.

yes. you trigger the ELC and everything, but that's a benefit. he'll learn what he needs to learn and if he's AMAZING he can stay, if he's not, then he knows what to do for year two. (and that year he COULD go to the marlies, right?)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

For starters, if hiring a horrible coach indicates that a team is losing on purpose, what does hiring Mike Babcock indicate?

also they dumped Players more to change the culture of the Team than to tank.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ok. So in reviewing the lopsided poll results and how this thread consistently goes in circles. An overwhelming majority are in favour of one opinion, while a small minority aren't. Agree to disagree. There isn't anything that needs to be discussed further on this matter as it has all been covered.

I'm locking this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad