Are the Red Wings the worst team in the league?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah, we have Norris, Balcers, Batherson and Brown (until recently) down in the AHL too.

It's an all-out battle for lottery supremacy.

Is your preference Lafreniere?

Because I'm more than happy settling for Byfield. Mantha, Rasmussen, Byfield, and Seider make one hell of a group of big guys for the Wings. They wouldn't be getting pushed around.

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
Seeing the Red Wings play the Panthers the other night solidified in my mind how horrendously bad that roster is top to bottom. And trust me, I'm kind of an expert, I've seen a lot of bad basement teams over the years watching the Panthers.

Reactions: Realgud

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Seeing the Red Wings play the Panthers the other night solidified in my mind how horrendously bad that roster is top to bottom. And trust me, I'm kind of an expert, I've seen a lot of bad basement teams over the years watching the Panthers.

The top is fine.

It's after the top that is absolutely, mortifyingly bad.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
a terrible roster with so many players that seem to be absolutley unable to score, even if their lifes depended on it. as soon as the first line cooled off or was separated, they fell apart.

This was expected. After the last few years, in which the team overperformed (props to blashhill), they will finally bottom out this year. You cant win without having 4 good working and scoring lines anymore, and the wings have 1 line that is consistently dangerous.

IF Zadina, Veleno, Seider, Svechnikov, Larsson and Rasmussen all become at least good NHL Players, this will still be bad. They need a real gamechanger to build around (together with Larkin)

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
They are worse than the Senators this season, Ottawa has better depth half of Detroit’s players aren’t even NHL quality. Honestly though if you are going to suck you might as well be the worst. Get that top five pick and reassess in the summer. Sure it sucks for guys like Larkin and Mantha to be on a terrible team, but they’ll appreciate it once they are back in the playoffs.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
They are worse than the Senators this season, Ottawa has better depth half of Detroit’s players aren’t even NHL quality. Honestly though if you are going to suck you might as well be the worst. Get that top five pick and reassess in the summer. Sure it sucks for guys like Larkin and Mantha to be on a terrible team, but they’ll appreciate it once they are back in the playoffs.

plus the red wings don't have a player of the caliber of thomas chabot. He is a real franchise cornerstone...Larkin might be, but chabot is more valuable imo

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The Detroit Dead Things....
fire-devils-night_0038.jpg

Or, if you prefer,

The Detroit Dead Wings.....
dead-wings-02.jpg

Stevey Y will get this turned around, but it will take a couple seasons.

And being from Buffalo, we know a bad hockey team when we see one! lol

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
Every time I see that a team is going to play the Wings, I say yeah, they'll beat them. I mean, like even the Wild or the Senators. It's hard to see how a team can fall so far. But well, it happens. I wish them luck!

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Stevey Y will get this turned around, but it will take a couple seasons.

And being from Buffalo, we know a bad hockey team when we see one! lol

I find Yzerman to be incredibly overrated. He benefited greatly from Florida's tax laws, or lack there of, and a scouting staff that was largely the same as when he got there that hit big on a few 2nd and 3rd rounders. He shuffled a lot of deck chairs in trades, won a few, lost a few more, and could never get over the hump.

I think he's a good GM, and he can play the part well. Incredibly well spoken, has a nice tan, has the respect of the hockey world, and the old boys club, but I don't think he's in the upper echelon of GM's like a Poile or Lou or Bowman or Wilson. Funny enough there's a couple GM's on that list that also can't get over the hump, but they've seem to do it a lot longer. And someone like Wilson doesn't have that sweet sweet tax exemption, in fact California's state taxes are pretty high.

We'll see over the next few years what he actually does, and if he's the real magic maker or just a dud. My money's on meh.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The last 10-12 games have certainly been the worst stretch of hockey I've ever seen from a Wings team.

Worst team in the league currently? Probably. Nothing is working. No offense, no defense, no goaltending, no coaching, no special teams.

It's been coming for a while, and it's definitely looking like this is going to be the low-water mark of the rebuild.

This is what happens when half the roster is placeholder warm bodies while prospects get the patient treatment. Doesn't help that Dekeyser's been injured either, defensively he's a huge part of what's missing.

I mean they have an absurd amount of players past their prime on their NHL squad
Perhaps, but out of their top 10 in icetime/GP, only Green is over 30 years old. And most are 25 or under.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I find Yzerman to be incredibly overrated. He benefited greatly from Florida's tax laws, or lack there of, and a scouting staff that was largely the same as when he got there that hit big on a few 2nd and 3rd rounders. He shuffled a lot of deck chairs in trades, won a few, lost a few more, and could never get over the hump.

I think he's a good GM, and he can play the part well. Incredibly well spoken, has a nice tan, has the respect of the hockey world, and the old boys club, but I don't think he's in the upper echelon of GM's like a Poile or Lou or Bowman or Wilson. Funny enough there's a couple GM's on that list that also can't get over the hump, but they've seem to do it a lot longer. And someone like Wilson doesn't have that sweet sweet tax exemption, in fact California's state taxes are pretty high.

We'll see over the next few years what he actually does, and if he's the real magic maker or just a dud. My money's on meh.

... Stan Bowman?

giphy.gif

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Thinking about it...I would rather have the Wings situation vs the Wild or Blackhawks situation. You do not have any super long bad contracts left like Parise or Seabrook. Most of the garbage will be off the books in the next year or two. Just stock up on prospects and take a shot a guys like Hall and a few others with all the cap room coming up.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
... Stan Bowman?

giphy.gif

He's won 3 cups. The first to do so in the Salary cap era. He's had some great signings including Panarin, made a number of great trades and the one I think sucked was in fact the Panarin trade. The only reason Chicago has struggled as of late is because they've paid the price of loyalty for those 3 wins and Crawford's head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad