OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I've drank 9 beers so far this week, gonna try to push it to the 15-20 range this weekend

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Carry-on and TSA precheck and you're usually in in 15 minutes.

Better yet, get NEXUS. It's actually cheaper than TSA Precheck alone for the same time frame, but still allows you to use the TSA Precheck lane. Of course, the catch is that you have to get approved by both US and Canada, and the only places where the in-person interview (which is more like an orientation) is along the border (in WNY, that's next to the Whirlpool Bridge crossing), so not really an option for people who don't live in the area, but the plus is you get to use the NEXUS lanes (including the Whirlpool bridge) and if you fly into Toronto Pearson or other Canadian airports you can use the NEXUS kiosks instead of going through the normal foreign citizen immigration line. And it's cheaper, which still boggles the mind.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Better yet, get NEXUS. It's actually cheaper than TSA Precheck alone for the same time frame, but still allows you to use the TSA Precheck lane. Of course, the catch is that you have to get approved by both US and Canada, and the only places where the in-person interview (which is more like an orientation) is along the border (in WNY, that's next to the Whirlpool Bridge crossing), so not really an option for people who don't live in the area, but the plus is you get to use the NEXUS lanes (including the Whirlpool bridge) and if you fly into Toronto Pearson or other Canadian airports you can use the NEXUS kiosks instead of going through the normal foreign citizen immigration line. And it's cheaper, which still boggles the mind.
I have GlobalEntry

Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
So with no local baseball and no hockey Intuned into the NBA western conference finals. I am back to watching live lava flows on the web.

Reactions: kummelweck

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Thankfully in my industry/company meetings/conference calls are pretty rare.

3-4 district wide General Manager meetings with my District Manager a year
1-2 full company General Manager meetings with both District Managers and both franchise owners a year
Plus a very rare conference call.

Their rarity plus in general I'm up and moving 95% of the day, I'm just in no way used to them.
Thank God restaurants aren't big on conference calls. I get 50 or so emails a day but that allows me to be passive aggressive. Often our rare conference calls take about 15 minutes for roll call, someone just refuses to mute their phone, one of the speakers is not present, several people unwittingly break in late to proclaim that they are here, then hopefully 2 tidbits of information that may make me more productive in spite of losing 45 minutes of productivity.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Thank God restaurants aren't big on conference calls. I get 50 or so emails a day but that allows me to be passive aggressive. Often our rare conference calls take about 15 minutes for roll call, someone just refuses to mute their phone, one of the speakers is not present, several people unwittingly break in late to proclaim that they are here, then hopefully 2 tidbits of information that may make me more productive in spite of losing 45 minutes of productivity.
Exactly. That sound almost exactly like my conference call on Wednesday. I literally did prep with my Bluetooth in and just listened and laughed. Thankfully I remembered to mute.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Relevant:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Relevant:

Seldom has parody been so close to reality. Video conferences at least aren't afflicted by people who join, and then put the call on hold, not realizing that their phone system hold music is now going to pump out over the entire meeting. Good times.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm playing the long game, have to evenly distribute the remainder to achieve the maximum time of intoxication with as little hangover time as possible

Good for you!

I admit, I'm behind on my beer game by more than a little. I went out at the beginning of the month, had two pints (Uber drove) and I've had the same 6-pack of Blue in the fridge since then too. I think there are still three of them left and I bought them for the end of the first round of the playoffs. :biglaugh:

I sort of wrecked myself this semester. I've cut out most of the kryptonite from my diet (ice cream, booze) and shifted back to food and exercise regimens that have worked for me in the recent past. And it's had no impact. I'm looking to get a little more drastic for June. If I don't, this body is going to start breaking down and I don't want that. I've got another 50-ish years I'm promised to my daughter to stick around for.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We switched to WebEx within the past several months.
Takes 6 minutes to start a mtg., when it actually even works.
Productivity tool my ass.
Never had any issues with Lync before then...

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I've pointedly been staying away from Facebook for weeks but today I decided to go take a quick gander and of course there is a timeline item that today is Sig's birthday. He'd have been 48 today. Rest well my friend.

I saw this, too. Gone too soon. Sig, hope you're livin' the dream up there.

Reactions: Duddy

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I sort of wrecked myself this semester. I've cut out most of the kryptonite from my diet (ice cream, booze) and shifted back to food and exercise regimens that have worked for me in the recent past. And it's had no impact. I'm looking to get a little more drastic for June. If I don't, this body is going to start breaking down and I don't want that. I've got another 50-ish years I'm promised to my daughter to stick around for.

I've been f***ing around with barbell training, which is having quite an impact on my physical and mental state. I think as you age, a strength based approach to health might deliver the best results in the littlest time.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I've pointedly been staying away from Facebook for weeks but today I decided to go take a quick gander and of course there is a timeline item that today is Sig's birthday. He'd have been 48 today. Rest well my friend.
Still really hard to not get choked up thinking about his passing. He's been one of us since me joining here.

I hope all the others that haven't showed up in quite some time are doing well.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
One of my childhood best friends ODed and died a few days. I was randomly browsing Facebook, and found out. We used to be inseparable when we were in elementary school and early middle school.

I held it down when I found out at my family's bonfire, but once I got home I let it out. It's been a long time since I've bawled like that. I didn't think it'd hit me so hard because I haven't seen him in 10 years, but it did.

I only knew him as an innocent kid who'd play knee hockey and trade pokemon cards with me. I never knew the demons he had. I guess it hurts because part of my childhood feels gone, and the way he passed is so tragic. His family was great. I used to sleep over there almost every weekend. They were a close knit Italian family. Thinking about his mom...f*** that hurts.

Why do good kids from good homes get hooked on the nastiest drugs? Last weekend was amazing, but this weekend is a bit gloomy.

Time to fire up those Dahlin highlights, ha!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One of my childhood best friends ODed and died a few days. I was randomly browsing Facebook, and found out. We used to be inseparable when we were in elementary school and early middle school.

I held it down when I found out at my family's bonfire, but once I got home I let it out. It's been a long time since I've bawled like that. I didn't think it'd hit me so hard because I haven't seen him in 10 years, but it did.

I only knew him as an innocent kid who'd play knee hockey and trade pokemon cards with me. I never knew the demons he had. I guess it hurts because part of my childhood feels gone, and the way he passed is so tragic. His family was great. I used to sleep over there almost every weekend. They were a close knit Italian family. Thinking about his mom...**** that hurts.

Why do good kids from good homes get hooked on the nastiest drugs? Last weekend was amazing, but this weekend is a bit gloomy.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Addiction hammers all people from all walks of life, sadly.

I had a similar experience last weekend. I have a close friend, we've known each other since I was about 8 and he was 6, who's mother passed a few months ago after a long illness. Well, last Sunday he rings me up to let me know that his father had passed the evening before. He was my father's best friend and a huge part of my adolescent life. He was also close with most of my friends in later life and now he suddenly is gone. So my friend lost both of his parents in the span of about 6 weeks and I'm 1400 miles away... can't help him in person, just over the phone. It's sobering.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Sorry to hear about your friend. Addiction hammers all people from all walks of life, sadly.

I had a similar experience last weekend. I have a close friend, we've known each other since I was about 8 and he was 6, who's mother passed a few months ago after a long illness. Well, last Sunday he rings me up to let me know that his father had passed the evening before. He was my father's best friend and a huge part of my adolescent life. He was also close with most of my friends in later life and now he suddenly is gone. So my friend lost both of his parents in the span of about 6 weeks and I'm 1400 miles away... can't help him in person, just over the phone. It's sobering.
Oh man, that's tough. Losing people is a part of life as you get older. I was lucky enough not to experience too much death when I was a kid, but once I hit my early 20s I began to go to more and more funerals.

Willie Nelson said it best
'It's not something you get over only something you get through'

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh man, that's tough. Losing people is a part of life as you get older. I was lucky enough not to experience too much death when I was a kid, but once I hit my early 20s I began to go to more and more funerals.

Willie Nelson said it best
'It's not something you get over only something you get through'

My count of wedding participation has now been surpassed by my pallbearer participation at funerals, even though I haven't been living in WNY in almost 5 years.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I only knew him as an innocent kid who'd play knee hockey and trade pokemon cards with me. I never knew the demons he had. I guess it hurts because part of my childhood feels gone, and the way he passed is so tragic. His family was great. I used to sleep over there almost every weekend. They were a close knit Italian family. Thinking about his mom...**** that hurts.

That's wretched. Sorry to hear about this.

Reactions: Dubi Doo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad