Recalled/Assigned: Arber Xhekaj Called Up

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Gorton was saying he was getting stopped in the street and asked when he would be recalled. The fans have influence.

The only influence the fans have is they let the Canadiens know who is a fan favorite. I highly doubt they called him up because fans have been asking about him. It was more a case of Xhekaj having improved in the areas they wanted him to improve on.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
The only influence the fans have is they let the Canadiens know who is a fan favorite. I highly doubt they called him up because fans have been asking about him. It was more a case of Xhekaj having improved in the areas they wanted him to improve on.
……and Barron being bad.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I want to see Arber impose his will on some players. His presence should be seen as a deterent.

More than that though, I want to see him play a responsibly defensive game with a little bit of offensive flair. Let's see the things he worked on in Laval.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Do you have access to the Habs management?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
You seriously think they called him up because fans asked for it?
I agree with you in principal. But it begs the question, does marketability tip the scales in favour of one player, relative to another. All things being equal between players, or even if one player is ever so slightly better, the marketability of the slight lesser player could become a business decision for a team. Notwithstanding they are in the business of winning, I get that. But, a team/owner focused solely on profits, especially a team already out of the playoffs, may choose the player more likely to draw crowds and sell jerseys.

But, I am speaking in hypotheticals, because I am with you ultimately and believe Wifi is getting called up for play.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Do you?

I agree with you in principal. But it begs the question, does marketability tip the scales in favour of one player, relative to another. All things being equal between players, or even if one player is ever so slightly better, the marketability of the slight lesser player could become a business decision for a team. Notwithstanding they are in the business of winning, I get that. But, a team/owner focused solely on profits, especially a team already out of the playoffs, may choose the player more likely to draw crowds and sell jerseys.

But, I am speaking in hypotheticals, because I am with you ultimately and believe Wifi is getting called up for play.
In the case where the team is playing for something tangible, such as Cups or playoffs or even playoffs participation? It shouldn't.
In the case where the team isn't playing for something tangible? Probably.

Reactions: waitin425

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Stuck in a loop?

Xhekaj would have never been sent down if it was about marketability or fan favorites. In fact, Hughes and Gorton were planning to send Slaf down to Laval earlier in the season, but MSL convinced them to keep him up because he wanted to continue working with him.

Even in the MB era, they sent Caufield down for a few games twice. Sent Kotkaniemi down also. And they were fan favorites also.

So while some players are more marketable than others, that is not how hockey operations runs. And it's clear that by sending Xhekaj down in December (and keeping him there for a month and a half) and their intentions to send Slaf down, they're not thinking about jersey sales and any of that.

I'll go a step further to say that even sending them to Laval is a marketability move, as well. Because that will bring even more eyes to the AHL team and sell some Laval jerseys. And Molson is the owner of the Rocket also. So he's making profit even if these players are sent to Laval.

I know you know all this, by the way.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004

As do I.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
As do I?

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Stuck in a loop?

Xhekaj would have never been sent down if it was about marketability or fan favorites. In fact, Hughes and Gorton were planning to send Slaf down to Laval earlier in the season, but MSL convinced them to keep him up because he wanted to continue working with him.

Even in the MB era, they sent Caufield down for a few games twice. Sent Kotkaniemi down also. And they were fan favorites also.

So while some players are more marketable than others, that is not how hockey operations runs. And it's clear that by sending Xhekaj down in December (and keeping him there for a month and a half) and their intentions to send Slaf down, they're not thinking about jersey sales and any of that.

I'll go a step further to say that even sending them to Laval is a marketability move, as well. Because that will bring even more eyes to the AHL team and sell some Laval jerseys. And Molson is the owner of the Rocket also. So he's making profit even if these players are sent to Laval.

I know you know all this, by the way.
I like you and I don't want to piss you off lol but I have to ask, how did you know that bit of info? That's the first time I ever read that unless I missed something.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Stuck in a loop?
Do you have access to Habs management? Don`t know why someone would duck that question. Though if someone implies they know what`s behind management decisions, it begs the question.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like you and I don't want to piss you off lol but I have to ask, how did you know that bit of info? That's the first time I ever read that unless I missed something.

I read/heard the same thing.. it was either in the Athletic, the Basu/Godin pod or from Engels on the sick podcast.

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad