Recalled/Assigned: Arber Xhekaj Called Up

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Obviously that was a great call by MSL. Perfect coach for a young team. Love MSL.

Agree that MSL is the right coach for this team now. We'll see if he'll be the right guy when they want to go for it or if they bring in someone else. That will remain to be seen. But right now, he's the right guy.

But also not to be ignored here is the fact that management was considering sending Slaf to Laval. So it's not a case of because he's a 1st OA pick, he's in the NHL no matter what. Because despite where they picked him, HuGo had to be convinced not to send him to Laval.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Agree that MSL is the right coach for this team now. We'll see if he'll be the right guy when they want to go for it or if they bring in someone else. That will remain to be seen. But right now, he's the right guy.

But also not to be ignored here is the fact that management was considering sending Slaf to Laval. So it's not a case of because he's a 1st OA pick, he's in the NHL no matter what. Because despite where they picked him, HuGo had to be convinced not to send him to Laval.
Down the road, they could even keep MSL and surround him with better assistants. We’ll see

Yeah, just took a peek there, they call Arber a goon lol, Arber is a lot more than a goon, he can impact a game different ways, unlike their tough guys.
Totally way more than a goon. In fact, he’s not a goon at all. He doesn’t go looking for fights per se. Habs don’t have a goon.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Down the road, they could even keep MSL and surround him with better assistants. We’ll see

Totally way more than a goon. In fact, he’s not a goon at all. He doesn’t go looking for fights per se. Habs don’t have a goon.
To be fair he has goonish tendencies, and it's awesome!

Reactions: jaffy27

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The only influence the fans have is they let the Canadiens know who is a fan favorite. I highly doubt they called him up because fans have been asking about him. It was more a case of Xhekaj having improved in the areas they wanted him to improve on.
The fans are very very important in a rebuild. MSL will be a genius if he starts Arber tonight. The ovation will be resounding we need that.

Not gonna happen instead we will get Mike Matheson

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The fans are very very important in a rebuild. MSL will be a genius if he starts Arber tonight. The ovation will be resounding we need that.

Fans are important regardless of a rebuild. But in a rebuild, you don't want to lose them.

However, hockey ops doesn't base their decisions on how the fans feel.

For example, Habs didn't call up Xhekaj because fans asked for him to be called up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agree but hope Xhekaj isn't goaded into doing something stupid by Tkachuk's punchable face.
Two minutes for punching him straight in the kisser is fine just don't drop the gloves.
This is an awesome two minutes and it's up there with taking a penalty to save a goal.
One thing I absolutely love about hard players is they will take the hard penalty on occasion.
It's even better if they aren't taking any soft ones which Arber was before he got sent down.
Yeah, just took a peek there, they call Arber a goon lol, Arber is a lot more than a goon, he can impact a game different ways, unlike their tough guys.
His point total is exactly half of the great their Max Guenette's in 20 fewer games.
Max is their face puncher right. :biglaugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fans are important regardless of a rebuild. But in a rebuild, you don't want to lose them.

However, hockey ops doesn't base their decisions on how the fans feel.

For example, Habs didn't call up Xhekaj because fans asked for him to be called up.
I agree.
They are however obviously aware of his popularity.
What I'm saying is throw him a bone for his hard work in Laval.
Start him tonight and ride the wave of energy it will bring to the building and the team.
Seems like a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I would suggest that the fan base is upset after the losses against Ottawa and Boston and the new guys running the team aren't idiots and they need to keep fans interested and bringing back Arber does that. When people say fans have no influence it isn't correct, fans are what keep the wheels turning and not just the ones buying tickets to the games.

We are rebuilding but we don't want to fall into the trap of accepting blowouts or physical dominance at the hands of opposing teams. I was ashamed of our effort in Boston especially since they had a f***ing ceremony about breaking a curse against the former proud players that wore the CH. I hated the way they mocked us during the pregame and out on the ice. Seeing them laughing on the bench while we wilted pissed me off, that's not who we are and anyone on the roster that accepts that shouldn't be wearing the jersey.

I want us to rebuild, I always did, but go out there and compete and they have for the most part but don't lie down against old foes like Boston and Toronto and even Ottawa. Play for the crest on the front of the jersey, make us proud.

That is the end of my digital rant that means nothing and goes nowhere but dammit, I had to say it.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I keep thinking MSL should have hired an experienced assistant coach. One of the only thing I disagree about management decisions since the new administration.

I don't recall where, I but read Hughes really pushed for this but that MSL wanted to hire whoever he wanted, and Hughes step back. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if the team doesn't really progress next year, if Hughes decided to bring back the topic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad