Recalled/Assigned: Arber Xhekaj Assigned to Laval (Taken Off IR)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
What's the likelihood of any prospect making the NHL? And then the likelihood of that prospect becoming a NHL regular.. and then the likelihood of becoming a top of the line-up player?

Those likelihoods are low.. spending time, practice, etc. that is dedicated to an entirely different position, during key development periods just simply isn't a good idea.

It sounds good in theory but it's just not the right approach.
Exactly this....the game is so fast, these guys have spent their lives building muscle memory related to the chosen position. Changing positions really isn't a thing in most sports.

Also, I don't know why we would want him as a forward playing 10 mins a game, this guy should evolve into an 17-20 minute per night, nightmare on the backend. Total unicorn if he gets there.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
💯 %.
Funny how there are some D who are as bad or worse but they keep getting ice time while one player gets demoted coming off of an injury.

I highly recommend that Xhekaj is called up for the 7 game road trip.
I second that recommendation.

The back end is fatigued and it is so easy to see. Time to start spelling some of the overtaxed players before something bad happens. We spend far too much time in our own zone and it's inevitable. Spell them now or they may be taking longer unplanned absences. Knowing our group they'll probably try to hang on until the holiday break. Everyone cross your fingers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
X split time between D and as a 4th line forward in his first OHL season but it was more the result of the coach favouring the team’s vets:

“The Rangers were veteran-heavy in Xhekaj’s rookie season. To get ice time, he split the year in the back end and as a fourth-line forward.”
It happens and we could do the same. Dress seven D water down some of those excessive minutes and deploy him as a forward for the odd shift.
I for one wouldn't mind seeing him net front on PP2. :sarcasm:

People acting like it would be some kind of travesty is what is laughable.

Reactions: Runner77

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Barron is the only one of those that doesn't have to pass through waivers, like Xhekaj. But Barron plays the right side. If Xhekaj was a righty and Barron a lefty, I think he'd be up and Barron down.
you're trying to use logic and it just won't work!

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Very good point.

If I were to grade based on eye test who the worse defensive Dman we have and he seems to be regressing it is Justin Barron. I am not sure why MSL has not split up the Barron/Guhle duo but they have been brutal.
That sucks. I haven't been able to watch much of the last couple of games.

In the highlights I've seen both Barron and Guhle make huge gaffs leading to goals. Last year Guhle-Savard wasn't good statistically. Hopefully Barron and Guhle will get through this rough patch. If not, I guess we should try Guhle - Kovacevic and Struble - Barron. If Barron and Kovacevic still aren't playing well when Harris comes back, maybe we see a rotation with Harris, Struble, Kovacevic, and Barron. Maybe even now Lindstrom gets in some games in place of Barron or Kovacevic.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So how does our *Untouchable piece* look so far in Laval
He started off in shock, disinterested in game 1. Game 2 a bit better and by game 3 he was much more engaged.

By game 3 he was no longer shocked and dismayed at the demotion and now understands why he was sent down. Most players who get sent down have a similar pattern of initial poor performance. He is coming around.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It happens and we could do the same. Dress seven D water down some of those excessive minutes and deploy him as a forward for the odd shift.
I for one wouldn't mind seeing him net front on PP2. :sarcasm:

People acting like it would be some kind of travesty is what is laughable.
You mean Pezzeta would not dress? Or Armia?
That radio show was quite laughable indeed. Imagine making that your evidence.
I guess some just learned about him playing some forward in jrs. Muscle memory… yes doc.

Reactions: Rapala

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
You mean Pezzeta would not dress? Or Armia?
That radio show was quite laughable indeed. Imagine making that your evidence.
I guess some just learned about him playing some forward in jrs. Muscle memory… yes doc.
Cannot NOT dress Yoel. Without Yoel this team will not make da playoffs.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He started off in shock, disinterested in game 1. Game 2 a bit better and by game 3 he was much more engaged.

By game 3 he was no longer shocked and dismayed at the demotion and now understands why he was sent down. Most players who get sent down have a similar pattern of initial poor performance. He is coming around.
he looked very good and comfortable.. Houle was playing him in all situations and OT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad